Bob Roll - Jerk, Moron or not worth talking about?

szbert

Oct 12, 2004
For some unknown reason, Bob Roll, with the IQ of a box of hair, gets gigs doing "commentary" on OLN, at Interbike, and other cycling related events. His phony cowpolk humour (he's a homey from Oakland) is inane.

There must be a more intelligent color commentator out there for cycling, who actually has a sense of humour.

I think Bob is an aquired taste. At first I didn't like him very much, but now I find him enjoyable to watch and listen to. Different people have different ideas, that's what makes the world interesting. To tell you the truth, I don't really know too many commentators, although I would like to see more retired racers do the commentary.

I think Bob is hilarious to watch. He comes off as a total idiot, but hes a fairly smart guy. Phil and the others are ok, but when Bob is around, you know something funny is going to happen or be said. I just wish he would talk using his hands so much. That part is only funny for a few minutes. Keep up the good work Bob. You crack me up. :D

Bob is the man. I didnt like him at first either, but I think he's pretty funny now. What was he saying at interbike, fool the bobit or something like that? I'm not a huge fan of his comentary, but I think he'd be fun to tag along with for a while.

szbert said:
For some unknown reason, Bob Roll, with the IQ of a box of hair, gets gigs doing "commentary" on OLN, at Interbike, and other cycling related events. His phony cowpolk humour (he's a homey from Oakland) is inane.

There must be a more intelligent color commentator out there for cycling, who actually has a sense of humour.
Talk about a slanted poll - you must be a Kerry man! Roll is the man!!

ghostpedal said:
I think Bob is an aquired taste. At first I didn't like him very much, but now I find him enjoyable to watch and listen to. Different people have different ideas, that's what makes the world interesting. To tell you the truth, I don't really know too many commentators, although I would like to see more retired racers do the commentary.
Strange women lying in ponds handing out swords is no basis for a system of governtment...
;)

Roll is a gutless lib, just like Kerry. Can't stomach either one of them.

skydive69 said:

szbert said:

I like Bob although he can go off on tangents. He isn't a Moron and people who use the word Jerk usually are one. It is one of lifes irony's.
Also name calling is the Moron's favorite tactic of arguing.
Now Al Trautwig and Kirsten Gumm could be called Morons in the realm of bicycling knowledge (that doesn't mean they are Morons overall). There must be someone out there with a good voice and hair do that OLN can hire that know something about cycling.

Bob Roll is great! Cycling is a great participant's sport, but it ain't the greatest spectator sport in the world. Bob adds a lot of spice to the commentary,and cycling can use a little of that. Sure, he's a little goofy at times, but he's not nearly so downright obnoxious and full of sh** as some of the commentators for other sports. Plus, it ain't like he doesn't know what he's talking about, Bob's been riding a long time and knows his stuff, plus has a lot of insider information on the teams and riders. Bob is the man!

szbert said:
I certainly concur about that ahole Kerry. As far as Roll is concerned, I hadn't noticed that he was running for office, hence I could give a **** about his political leaning.

skydive69 said:
What is worse, a slanted pole or a rigged election...
Bob Roll is hillarious, and arguing about which rich white guy will spend your money is silly

Telegram Sam said:
What is worse, a slanted pole or a rigged election...
Bob Roll is hillarious, and arguing about which rich white guy will spend your money is silly

Exactly, we have a choice between two rich guys from Yale. I think the one ideology they share is the love of money.

donhix1 said:
Exactly, we have a choice between two rich guys from Yale. I think the one ideology they share is the love of money.
Yes, rich people and money are bad things. Uh huh, I love deep thinkers!

Someone who is a Bush supporter...chastising me for not being a "deep thinker"? Now I've heard it all.
And no, I'm not particularly fond of the fact that our representation (since Jimmy Carter) has not been selected from the group that represents 98% of our population (perhaps-if their children were getting there asses shot off in Vietnam the sequal)...Wait till you see what old Georgie has in store for all his Savage Nation devotees of the working class this time around.
But I still like Bob Roll

skydive69 said:
Yes, rich people and money are bad things. Uh huh, I love deep thinkers!

I just reread my post and I didn't give any judgement about rich people. I just said they were both rich and both from Yale. Two undeniable facts.

donhix1 said:
I just reread my post and I didn't give any judgement about rich people. I just said they were both rich and both from Yale. Two undeniable facts.
Then I must have wrongly inferred what I presumed to be your negative conotation of the word "rich." Now about my new Dura-ace wheels....

I spent 8 months in Afghanistan, and a further six in Iraq - and I was in the first Gulf War in 90-91 and Panama & Lebanon before that. I'm currently in the reserves. I still have friends in both Iraq and Afghanistan, and others who will likely be going - because they volunteered and are proud to do it.

I'll be damned if I want some liberal puke, lying political ***** like Kerry as my commander in chief. Bush is a leader. A man. Something that scares the hell of gutless libs who always talk about others going to war because they don't have the spine to serve in the military. Or, they're like Kerry, and opportunists who wanted their tickets punched only to then turn their backs on the men and women who serve. And if you''ve read Bob Roll's books, or heard his TV blathering, you'd know he's just that same type of smarmy, smart ass punk without the stones to ever serve his country.

Telegram Sam said:
Someone who is a Bush supporter...chastising me for not being a "deep thinker"? Now I've heard it all.
And no, I'm not particularly fond of the fact that our representation (since Jimmy Carter) has not been selected from the group that represents 98% of our population (perhaps-if their children were getting there asses shot off in Vietnam the sequal)...Wait till you see what old Georgie has in store for all his Savage Nation devotees of the working class this time around.
But I still like Bob Roll

szbert said:
I spent 8 months in Afghanistan, and a further six in Iraq - and I was in the first Gulf War in 90-91 and Panama & Lebanon before that. I'm currently in the reserves. I still have friends in both Iraq and Afghanistan, and others who will likely be going - because they volunteered and are proud to do it.

I'll be damned if I want some liberal puke, lying political ***** like Kerry as my commander in chief. Bush is a leader. A man. Something that scares the hell of gutless libs who always talk about others going to war because they don't have the spine to serve in the military. Or, they're like Kerry, and opportunists who wanted their tickets punched only to then turn their backs on the men and women who serve. And if you''ve read Bob Roll's books, or heard his TV blathering, you'd know he's just that same type of smarmy, smart ass punk without the stones to ever serve his country.
As for your service, I for one thank you-your record speaks for itself. Seeing what I have seen volunteering in VA programs and at events for nam Vets- I certainly would not want to do the job that they have had to do. I say this without contempt or sarcasm. However, how can anyone with an ounce of self respect start a thread like this on a CYCLING FORUM and then turn it into a name calling match? You ought to look hard at how pathetic that comes across because I am sure you would rather have people respect you for your service.
Now, did George Bush have the stones to serve his country? I've asked a few friends that are Nam vets and they certainly don't think so- I find it hard to believe that you can justify his stint either, but the Savage Nation is just as powerful a puppet master as the liberal media.
George has the forethought and presence of mind to exploit Wall-Mart for it's highest worth. The employees have it so bad in that company that they would gladly drive a freighter across a desert with a Bradley on their tail...If I was there I would too.
Call me all the names you want-frankly, your posts are becoming banal. I do however, urge you to begin thinking for yourself.
Bob Roll is still allright.
Poor people still fight wars
Rich folks still start them
And the world needs another Woody Guthrie
Cheers