Boise: Somebody's Website Pics

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Paladin, Feb 20, 2003.

  1. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    http://www.angelfire.com/oh/parrybike/page8.html

    Well, I ran across this website that shows a few pics from the Boise area, to show you friends what
    it's typically like around here. (I used to post binaries, until collecting too many tickets from
    the usenet police) I don't know these guys or anything about them.

    We have lotsa trails more technical than those shown, but I know how hard it is to stop and take a
    picture when you're focused on survival.

    Paladin

    Tags:

  2. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On 20 Feb 2003 12:50:48 -0800, Paladin wrote:

    > We have lotsa trails more technical than those shown, but I know how hard it is to stop and take a
    > picture when you're focused on survival.

    Actually the bigger problem is taking pictures that show even the slightest clue how steep and
    technical a trail is.

    But then, when WE have big grey beards like that guy, we might not be riding such technical
    trails either!

  3. Cleanbean

    Cleanbean Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > http://www.angelfire.com/oh/parrybike/page8.html
    >
    > Well, I ran across this website that shows a few pics from the Boise area, to show you friends
    > what it's typically like around here. (I used to post binaries, until collecting too many tickets
    > from the usenet police) I don't know these guys or anything about them.
    >
    > We have lotsa trails more technical than those shown, but I know how hard it is to stop and take a
    > picture when you're focused on survival.
    >
    > Paladin

    There are more trees then I imagined. I got to quit eating donuts so I will be able to climb some of
    that stuff!

    Cleanbean still hopin on Idaho trip

  4. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > http://www.angelfire.com/oh/parrybike/page8.html
    >
    > Well, I ran across this website that shows a few pics from the Boise area, to show you friends
    > what it's typically like around here. (I used to post binaries, until collecting too many tickets
    > from the usenet police) I don't know these guys or anything about them.
    >
    > We have lotsa trails more technical than those shown, but I know how hard it is to stop and take a
    > picture when you're focused on survival.
    >
    > Paladin

    Thanks for the link! I went for a couple rides in Sun Valley last year. Very sweet. The most
    technical thing I found consistently was some tight switchbacks, the likes of which I've never seen
    out east but seem common in the rides I've done in the West. Otherwise, patches of loose rocks here
    and there. Fox Creek was a nice, short loop. I remember a couple rocky sections, but for the most
    part it was singletrack. The Greenhorn Gulch ride's elevation went from 6000' to 8000' feet. It may
    not sound like much to you inhabitants of the Rockies, but to this sea-level city slicker, it was
    noticed! It was mostly singltrack too, similar to the later pics of Boise it it's sun exposure. I
    think Fox Creek had a lot more trees, similar to the earlier pics. Gave myself a pretty sweet
    little scar on the side of my left calf on Greenhorn Gulch. I was on my way down, around 2/3 of the
    way through the ride. After huffing up for so long, I wanted to test out the capabilities of my
    rented FSR-XC. I was riding through a flat section, the trail skirting one of the hills, uphill to
    my left and downward to my right. I was pedalling through a flat section when clipped a pedal on a
    rock. (Either those FSR's have lower BBs than I'm accustomed to on a hardtail and I ignored the
    rock, or I didn't see the rock at all, I'm not really sure.) It was the right pedal that hit. You'd
    think this would have pushed me towards the left and uphill rather than down, but no. Inexplicably,
    I flew off the right side of the trail, landing rolling in a big pile of rocks. As aforementioned,
    the fall took a nice bite out of my left leg and elbow, banged up my right knee, scraped up my
    shoulder, and the force of the impact gave me that ozone buzz in my sinuses, like when you've been
    punched in the nose and feel blurry and crosseyed and might want to cry. I was alone, resting,
    assessing the damage, licking wounds, enjoying some time in the sunlight, when suddenly I realized
    that I was far from home, and had no idea what kind of fauna prowled around there. In the East,
    we've got deer ticks, little black bears, maybe some rabid varmints to worry about. Idaho? What the
    hell do I know about Idaho? Rattlers? Grizzlies? Mountain lions? Scorpions? Pterydactyls? Who the
    hell knows? Not me! I got back on the bike and the hell out of there. I'll have to see if I can dig
    up those pics. /s

  5. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    supabonbon wrote:
    > Idaho? What the hell do I know about Idaho? Rattlers? Grizzlies? Mountain lions? Scorpions?
    > Pterydactyls? Who the hell knows? Not me! I got back on the bike and the hell out of there.

    Usually the human residents are your biggest worry.

    Penny

  6. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 20 Feb 2003 12:50:48 -0800, [email protected] (Paladin) wrote:

    >http://www.angelfire.com/oh/parrybike/page8.html

    > but I know how hard it is to stop and take a picture when you're focused on survival.

    True

    :-]

  7. Paladin wrote:

    > http://www.angelfire.com/oh/parrybike/page8.html
    >
    > Well, I ran across this website that shows a few pics from the Boise area, to show you friends
    > what it's typically like around here. (I used to post binaries, until collecting too many tickets
    > from the usenet police) I don't know these guys or anything about them.
    >
    > We have lotsa trails more technical than those shown, but I know how hard it is to stop and take a
    > picture when you're focused on survival.
    >
    > Paladin

    Besides showing Boise, it shows a great way to enjoy trails. The retro look of t-shirts, cut-off
    jeans, and a rigid MTB is not something I see enough. Sometimes a FS bike and a little lycra makes
    me miss the scenery. These guys look like they are taking it all in.

    Nice pics.

  8. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > http://www.angelfire.com/oh/parrybike/page8.html
    > >
    > > Well, I ran across this website that shows a few pics from the Boise area, to show you friends
    > > what it's typically like around here. (I used to post binaries, until collecting too many
    > > tickets from the usenet police) I don't know these guys or anything about them.
    > >
    > > We have lotsa trails more technical than those shown, but I know how hard it is to stop and take
    > > a picture when you're focused on survival.
    > >
    > > Paladin
    >

    > Thanks for the link! I went for a couple rides in Sun Valley last year. <snip a bit> I was alone,
    > resting, assessing the damage, licking wounds, enjoying some time in the sunlight, when suddenly I
    > realized that I was far from home, and had no idea what kind of fauna prowled around there. In the
    > East, we've got deer ticks, little black bears, maybe some rabid varmints to worry about. Idaho?
    > What the hell do I know about Idaho? Rattlers? Grizzlies? Mountain lions? Scorpions? Pterydactyls?
    > Who the hell knows? Not me! I got back on the bike and the hell out of there. I'll have to see if
    > I can dig up those pics. /s

    Great story. The main thing to respect up there is exposure, hypothermia, resulting disorientation,
    and simply getting back on time (or at all.) I've not seen any bear or cougars, but lots of tracks.
    Usually its deer, elk, occasionally a moose, foxes, racoon, beaver. The weather changes quickly, so
    I always bring a little extra, but especially pack a jacket for longer trips at higher elevations.
    I've not done Greenhorn Gulch, but everybody says it's a hoot. Gonna try this summer, as there's a
    group ride planned for Soldier Mtn just south of there.

    Paladin

  9. Djarvinen

    Djarvinen Guest

    [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote in message news:

    ((nice RR snipped))

    > I was alone, resting, assessing the damage, licking wounds, enjoying some time in the sunlight,
    > when suddenly I realized that I was far from home, and had no idea what kind of fauna prowled
    > around there. In the East, we've got deer ticks, little black bears, maybe some rabid varmints to
    > worry about. Idaho? What the hell do I know about Idaho? Rattlers? Grizzlies? Mountain lions?
    > Scorpions? Pterydactyls? Who the hell knows? Not me! I got back on the bike and the hell out of
    > there. I'll have to see if I can dig up those pics. /s

    Last summer someone in Ketchum reported a cougar in their back yard. I don't remember exactly (Old
    Fart's Syndrome) but I think they shot
    ga.

    Also two were spotted not far from town about the same time.

    I've been *very* wary lately when riding the trails around there. I think the chances of running
    across one are small as they normally avoid humans and human habitats so it doesn't stop me from
    riding when I get up there. But I guess they get hungry sometimes... :)

    You might also (rarely) run across some elk, bear and deer. I ran over a snake one time but I was
    afraid Mikey would report me so I haven't really mentioned it much. Oh, and I clipped a squirrel
    with my pedal once but it seemed to shake off the beating quite well. I looked back and saw it
    scampering off.

    DJ

  10. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > supabonbon wrote:
    > > Idaho? What the hell do I know about Idaho? Rattlers? Grizzlies? Mountain lions? Scorpions?
    > > Pterydactyls? Who the hell knows? Not me! I got back on the bike and the hell out of there.
    >
    > Usually the human residents are your biggest worry.
    >
    > Penny

    Actually, lately it's been those looking to extinguish the human residents en masse. With the
    weather here lately, I've been taking the subway. Half the people are reading the Post blaring
    headlines like 'SUBWAY CYANIDE', a quarter reading religious texts of some sort, the others jumpy
    and staring at anyone making a sound. I've seen people crossing themselves and exhaling after
    occaisional mid-tunnel pauses. Fun stuff. I'm going to be pretty happy to get back on the bike,
    when all I have to worry about is taxis, potholes, box vans, grease/ice slicks, jaywalkers, and
    drivers from NJ who believe that their liscense plates allow them the right on red no matter where
    they are. /s

  11. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    [email protected] (djarvinen) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote in message news:
    >
    > ((nice RR snipped))
    >
    > > I was alone, resting, assessing the damage, licking wounds, enjoying some time in the sunlight,
    > > when suddenly I realized that I was far from home, and had no idea what kind of fauna prowled
    > > around there. In the East, we've got deer ticks, little black bears, maybe some rabid varmints
    > > to worry about. Idaho? What the hell do I know about Idaho? Rattlers? Grizzlies? Mountain lions?
    > > Scorpions? Pterydactyls? Who the hell knows? Not me! I got back on the bike and the hell out of
    > > there. I'll have to see if I can dig up those pics. /s
    >
    > Last summer someone in Ketchum reported a cougar in their back yard. I don't remember exactly (Old
    > Fart's Syndrome) but I think they shot
    > it.
    >
    > Also two were spotted not far from town about the same time.
    >
    > I've been *very* wary lately when riding the trails around there. I think the chances of running
    > across one are small as they normally avoid humans and human habitats so it doesn't stop me from
    > riding when I get up there. But I guess they get hungry sometimes... :)
    >
    > You might also (rarely) run across some elk, bear and deer. I ran over a snake one time but I was
    > afraid Mikey would report me so I haven't really mentioned it much. Oh, and I clipped a squirrel
    > with my pedal once but it seemed to shake off the beating quite well. I looked back and saw it
    > scampering off.
    >
    > DJ

    Glad you chimed in, Dick. I've jumped snakes a couple times over by TableRock after sundown in the
    summer when they come out to lay around on the warm rocks in the middle of the trail. (I guess
    that's what they're doing. That and scouting for mice?) Have seen them slithering off the trail
    many, many times over on my side of the mtn (ie, Hulls Gulch, etc.). *Lots* of 2-legged foxes with
    dogs out last night, btw.

    Paladin

  12. Djarvinen

    Djarvinen Guest

    [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (djarvinen) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote in message news:
    > >
    > > ((nice RR snipped))
    > >
    > > > I was alone, resting, assessing the damage, licking wounds, enjoying some time in the
    > > > sunlight, when suddenly I realized that I was far from home, and had no idea what kind of
    > > > fauna prowled around there. In the East, we've got deer ticks, little black bears, maybe some
    > > > rabid varmints to worry about. Idaho? What the hell do I know about Idaho? Rattlers?
    > > > Grizzlies? Mountain lions? Scorpions? Pterydactyls? Who the hell knows? Not me! I got back on
    > > > the bike and the hell out of there. I'll have to see if I can dig up those pics. /s
    > >
    > > Last summer someone in Ketchum reported a cougar in their back yard. I don't remember exactly
    > > (Old Fart's Syndrome) but I think they shot
    > > it.
    > >
    > > Also two were spotted not far from town about the same time.
    > >
    > > I've been *very* wary lately when riding the trails around there. I think the chances of running
    > > across one are small as they normally avoid humans and human habitats so it doesn't stop me from
    > > riding when I get up there. But I guess they get hungry sometimes... :)
    > >
    > > You might also (rarely) run across some elk, bear and deer. I ran over a snake one time but I
    > > was afraid Mikey would report me so I haven't really mentioned it much. Oh, and I clipped a
    > > squirrel with my pedal once but it seemed to shake off the beating quite well. I looked back and
    > > saw it scampering off.
    > >
    > > DJ
    >

    > Glad you chimed in, Dick. I've jumped snakes a couple times over by TableRock after sundown in the
    > summer when they come out to lay around on the warm rocks in the middle of the trail. (I guess
    > that's what they're doing. That and scouting for mice?) Have seen them slithering off the trail
    > many, many times over on my side of the mtn (ie, Hulls Gulch, etc.). *Lots* of 2-legged foxes with
    > dogs out last night, btw.
    >
    > Paladin

    Err... my wife doesn't allow me to do fox hunting anymore.

    DJ