General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

booze again

Started by DisplayName · · Last activity · 72 posts · 2,314 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 June 2006
Last activity
11 June 2006
Original author
DisplayName
Posts
72
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,314
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 72
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. doodah said:

    "Carmen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    doodah said:

    "Tom G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:N%qhg.251183$WI1.229896@pd7tw2no...
    >
    > "Laureen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    > > Ya think? Why do you even bother posting this [censored] anymore? I gave


    you

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > the benefit of the doubt last post but it's plain and simple now...
    > > there is a problem, you have a problem. ANy idea what it is????
    > > Laureen
    >
    > What seems easy to some, may be difficult for others. Don't you


    agree?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Laureen had to get her guts cut out to keep from shoveling so much grub


    in,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    so she's not exactly the poster child for moderation.

    Barbara why are you so [censored] to Laureen about her WLS decision? It
    was her money and her decision. If you thought your happy ass was
    anonymous behind that nym you were clearly mistaken my dear. Almost
    nobody's life is capable of standing up to close scrutiny, and yours
    isn't when it comes to being a "poster child for moderation" either.

    Carmen <----- Look Barb, no nym!

    Settle down Inspector Gadget.

    You've been the one with the wild hair about Laureen lately, taking
    potshots at her. I'm just letting you know you aren't taking them
    anonymously. Carry on.

    Carmen

  2. Maybe because Laureen is being [censored] about someone else's decisions? It
    occurred to me that there was some pot calling kettle black here but I bit
    my tongue.

    In news:[email hidden],
    Carmen <[email hidden]> stated

    | Barbara why are you so [censored] to Laureen about her WLS decision? It
    | was her money and her decision. If you thought your happy ass was
    | anonymous behind that nym you were clearly mistaken my dear. Almost
    | nobody's life is capable of standing up to close scrutiny, and yours
    | isn't when it comes to being a "poster child for moderation" either.
    |
    | Carmen <----- Look Barb, no nym!

  3. FOB said:

    Maybe because Laureen is being [censored] about someone else's decisions? It
    occurred to me that there was some pot calling kettle black here but I bit
    my tongue.

    Background: The last time he posted this stuff she was very honest
    about her own experiences vis-a-vis the food consumption issue that
    lead to the WLS. She related that it took brutal honesty to get her on
    the road to the relative bounding good health she has now, and that's
    what she was giving him. Lots of other people also told him that the
    alcohol was loaded with calories and he ought to ditch it. He said he
    didn't think it was really a problem. Here he comes again, with
    another post about a booze-filled month. Laureen's post was [censored],
    but I don't see how it was the pot calling the kettle black. Alcohol
    is *not* this guy's friend. He seems to have a problem, she was
    pointing that out.
    I don't know what the hell Barbara's problem is.

    Carmen

    Quoted message said:

    In news:[email hidden],
    Carmen <[email hidden]> stated

    | Barbara why are you so [censored] to Laureen about her WLS decision? It
    | was her money and her decision. If you thought your happy ass was
    | anonymous behind that nym you were clearly mistaken my dear. Almost
    | nobody's life is capable of standing up to close scrutiny, and yours
    | isn't when it comes to being a "poster child for moderation" either.
    |
    | Carmen <----- Look Barb, no nym!

  4. I see how his standard for tolerable body fat may differ from yours.

    In news:[email hidden],
    Carmen <[email hidden]> stated

    | He's reached his goal weight, and his post broadly hints that he's
    | done so using alcohol, and in the context of this discussion it would
    | have to be somewhat liberally to be meaningful. Based on his being
    | at goal weight, and the fact that the body must first attend to the
    | disposition of alcohol before it can do anything else (like burn body
    | fat) the ketones that he ran on (which eventually came from the
    | alcohol after it was converted to acetate and some other stuff
    | happened to it) provided fuel that his body fat could have been
    | providing. Without being burned the body fat isn't going to go
    | anywhere. It's going to constitute a disproportionately larger
    | percentage of the smaller goal weight than if there had not been
    | alcohol fuel to interfere in the process of weight loss.
    | Now, with that all laid out do you see how his standards do not enter
    | into the equation?
    | A "healthy percentage of body fat" is determined by correlation with
    | the incidence of diseases and disorders associated with it in a
    | studied population. My quip about him possibly being "a freak" was
    | just that, a quip, meant to denote the possibility that all the
    | normal rules of metabolism do not apply to him. Normally I put a
    | "NOTE TO THE HUMOR IMPAIRED" disclaimer on such things. I forgot
    | this time. Please forgive me.
    |
    | Carmen

  5. FOB said:

    There's a difference between saying it isn't advantageous (which he has
    heard here before) and telling him he has a problem.

    True. In addition to the alcohol not being advantageous to his dieting
    effort, I also think he has a problem with alcohol. They are two
    different issues.

    Carmen

    Quoted message said:


    In news:[email hidden],
    Carmen <[email hidden]> stated
    | FOB wrote:
    || He lost 8 pounds in a month, doesn't look like a problem to me.
    |
    | Excessive alcohol intake in a low carb diet isn't advantageous to the
    | dieter. This study gives a synopsis as to why:
    | http://tinyurl.com/nyntz
    | J Clin Invest. 1988 April; 81(4): 1137-1145.
    |
    | Ethanol causes acute inhibition of carbohydrate, fat, and protein
    | oxidation and insulin resistance.
    |
    | J J Shelmet, G A Reichard, C L Skutches, R D Hoeldtke, O E Owen, and G
    | Boden
    | Department of Medicine, Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia,
    | Pennsylvania 19140.
    | To study the mechanism of the diabetogenic action of ethanol, ethanol
    | (0.75 g/kg over 30 min) and then glucose (0.5 g/kg over 5 min) were
    | infused intravenously into six normal males. During the 4-h study,
    | 21.8 +/- 2.1 g of ethanol was metabolized and oxidized to CO2 and H2O.
    | Ethanol decreased total body fat oxidation by 79% and protein
    | oxidation by 39%, and almost completely abolished the 249% rise in
    | carbohydrate (CHO) oxidation seen in controls after glucose infusion.
    | Ethanol decreased the basal rate of glucose appearance (GRa) by 30%
    | and the basal rate of glucose disappearance (GRd) by 38%, potentiated
    | glucose-stimulated insulin release by 54%, and had no effect on
    | glucose tolerance. In hyperinsulinemic-euglycemic clamp studies,
    | ethanol caused a 36% decrease in glucose disposal. We conclude that
    | ethanol was a preferred fuel preventing fat, and to lesser degrees,
    | CHO and protein, from being oxidized. It also caused acute insulin
    | resistance which was compensated for by hypersecretion of insulin.
    |
    | In brief, your body has to drop pretty much everything else it's doing
    | to deal with the alcohol. Your pancreas works overtime shoveling out
    | insulin and you don't burn fat. At 7 calories per gram, alcohol
    | qualifies as "empty calories", since it isn't in something that has
    | vitamins and minerals and protein and healthy fats in any significant
    | quantity accompanying it.
    |
    | Carmen

  6. FOB said:

    I see how his standard for tolerable body fat may differ from yours.

    Of course. That would come under personal taste, and as such would be
    purely subjective. "Healthy body weight" isn't subjective though.

    Carmen

    Quoted message said:


    In news:[email hidden],
    Carmen <[email hidden]> stated

    | He's reached his goal weight, and his post broadly hints that he's
    | done so using alcohol, and in the context of this discussion it would
    | have to be somewhat liberally to be meaningful. Based on his being
    | at goal weight, and the fact that the body must first attend to the
    | disposition of alcohol before it can do anything else (like burn body
    | fat) the ketones that he ran on (which eventually came from the
    | alcohol after it was converted to acetate and some other stuff
    | happened to it) provided fuel that his body fat could have been
    | providing. Without being burned the body fat isn't going to go
    | anywhere. It's going to constitute a disproportionately larger
    | percentage of the smaller goal weight than if there had not been
    | alcohol fuel to interfere in the process of weight loss.
    | Now, with that all laid out do you see how his standards do not enter
    | into the equation?
    | A "healthy percentage of body fat" is determined by correlation with
    | the incidence of diseases and disorders associated with it in a
    | studied population. My quip about him possibly being "a freak" was
    | just that, a quip, meant to denote the possibility that all the
    | normal rules of metabolism do not apply to him. Normally I put a
    | "NOTE TO THE HUMOR IMPAIRED" disclaimer on such things. I forgot
    | this time. Please forgive me.
    |
    | Carmen

  7. "Carmen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    FOB said:

    Maybe because Laureen is being [censored] about someone else's decisions?


    It

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    occurred to me that there was some pot calling kettle black here but I


    bit

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    my tongue.

    Background: The last time he posted this stuff she was very honest
    about her own experiences vis-a-vis the food consumption issue that
    lead to the WLS. She related that it took brutal honesty to get her on
    the road to the relative bounding good health she has now, and that's
    what she was giving him. Lots of other people also told him that the
    alcohol was loaded with calories and he ought to ditch it. He said he
    didn't think it was really a problem. Here he comes again, with
    another post about a booze-filled month. Laureen's post was [censored],
    but I don't see how it was the pot calling the kettle black. Alcohol
    is *not* this guy's friend. He seems to have a problem, she was
    pointing that out.
    I don't know what the hell Barbara's problem is.

    Carmen

    Who is this Barbara person?

  8. First off. You are so uninformed regarding what I did. While I owe you
    no explanation I will say this:I did not have my guts cut out as you
    have put it on multiple ocassions. I had things rearranged and bypassed
    but nothing has been removed. NO I wasn't the poster child for anything
    positive including moderation but I readily admitted it. I was dying a
    slow painful death and getting nowhere quick. Those who have been
    posting in here for the last.... lets see.. at least 6 years know my
    plight and struggles. I dont expect or need you to understand though.
    Laureen

    doodah said:

    "Tom G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:N%qhg.251183$WI1.229896@pd7tw2no...

    Quoted message said:


    "Laureen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ya think? Why do you even bother posting this [censored] anymore? I gave you
    the benefit of the doubt last post but it's plain and simple now...
    there is a problem, you have a problem. ANy idea what it is????
    Laureen

    What seems easy to some, may be difficult for others. Don't you agree?

    Laureen had to get her guts cut out to keep from shoveling so much grub in,
    so she's not exactly the poster child for moderation.

  9. doodah said:

    "Carmen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    FOB said:

    Maybe because Laureen is being [censored] about someone else's decisions?


    It

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    occurred to me that there was some pot calling kettle black here but I


    bit

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    my tongue.

    Background: The last time he posted this stuff she was very honest
    about her own experiences vis-a-vis the food consumption issue that
    lead to the WLS. She related that it took brutal honesty to get her on
    the road to the relative bounding good health she has now, and that's
    what she was giving him. Lots of other people also told him that the
    alcohol was loaded with calories and he ought to ditch it. He said he
    didn't think it was really a problem. Here he comes again, with
    another post about a booze-filled month. Laureen's post was [censored],
    but I don't see how it was the pot calling the kettle black. Alcohol
    is *not* this guy's friend. He seems to have a problem, she was
    pointing that out.
    I don't know what the hell Barbara's problem is.

    Carmen

    Who is this Barbara person?

    You already missed your chance to play dumb. For future reference,
    that needed to be your first reaction - the one you wasted that one
    calling me Inspector Gadget.

    Carmen

  10. I'm not being [censored]. I'm being honest and straight forth. I wish
    someone had been that way with me long ago. I got patronized a lot. It
    wasn't the best thing for me. Displayname readily admits he drinks a
    lot of alcohol what he dessnt say is it might be a problem. Had I at
    one point said " I sure eat a lot" Im sure someone in here would have
    chimed in and " Maybe you have a problem" Thats may have made me
    think... "Well maybe I do" I wasn't being vicious. I was trying to be
    realistic.

    I saw a post from this fellow a week ago and chimed in , I then
    apologized if I offended him and left it at that. I jumped on this one
    because he is once again touting his alcohol consumption as being good
    for him.

    I'm not judging him. I was simply stating an observation and replied to
    his post. We are entitled to our opinion and just because we may say
    something that upsets another person doesn't necessarily mean we cant
    say it does it?? My feelings have never been spared in here. I have
    had way worse happen to me.
    I was simply being honest but dogged out for doing so.

    Laureen

    FOB said:

    Maybe because Laureen is being [censored] about someone else's decisions? It
    occurred to me that there was some pot calling kettle black here but I bit
    my tongue.

    In news:[email hidden],
    Carmen <[email hidden]> stated

    | Barbara why are you so [censored] to Laureen about her WLS decision? It
    | was her money and her decision. If you thought your happy ass was
    | anonymous behind that nym you were clearly mistaken my dear. Almost
    | nobody's life is capable of standing up to close scrutiny, and yours
    | isn't when it comes to being a "poster child for moderation" either.
    |
    | Carmen <----- Look Barb, no nym!

  11. One other thing. it is not like I called Displayname an alcoholic,
    though a couple of you are acting like I said that by your tone in the
    posts. That woud be nasty, vile, and totally uncalled for. I simply
    asked a question.

    Some of you know me well enough to know that the person who lives in a
    glass house shouldnt throw stones, which is me.

    I am also not against drinking in moderation. I have never been much of
    a drinker but after hearing how a WLS patient gets drunk so fast, I had
    to see for myself. I have found that there really is no drinking in
    moderation for a WLS patient. One small half a glass of wine and I am
    [censored] faced nowadays. I do on occasion indulge myself but only in the
    company of someone who can look out for me for the brief time I am
    smashed. GASP! Its really is no fun to drink now as one doesnt get the
    warm fuzzies, they get stink ass drunk alomost immediately. There is no
    happy medium with hard liquor at all. It takesexactly 3 minutes to get
    drunk with a half shot of Tequila and 1/2 hour to sober up. One
    metabolizes alcohol fast. Its a weird life now. One light beer over a
    couple of hours appears social but keeps me sober I have found.
    Laureen

    DisplayName said:

    I sure drink a lot.

  12. On 7 Jun 2006 09:06:33 -0700, [email hidden] wrote:

    |Laureen wrote:
    |> We both know 8 pounds could have been gone the first week with eating
    |> right. Pure meats and veggies and no booze. He admits he sure drinks a
    |> lot. Excessive alcohol is counter productive. Weighing as much as he
    |> does he should have and could have dumped way more if he hadnt imbibed
    |> so much on the brew. His calories are coming from alcohol. I could eat
    |> salad and drink wine and lose weight but how good would that be for me?
    |
    |So what if he likes to drink? So what if he could lose faster? If
    |he's content with his loss and his diet, I don't see why you need to
    |follow him around and [censored] about his drinking.

    Wow! Why the anger?

    The OP posted here asking for advice about his eating plan and Laureen
    -- and others -- gave the logical (and appropriate) response. She
    wasn't preaching about the moral evils of drinking, she was merely
    stating the truth about drinking interfering with weight loss. Some
    people hate it though when pesky facts get in the way of their
    personal justifications.

  13. On 7 Jun 2006 09:06:54 -0700, "Carmen" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    |doodah wrote:
    |> "Tom G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    |> news:N%qhg.251183$WI1.229896@pd7tw2no...
    |> >
    |> > "Laureen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    |> > news:[email hidden]...
    |> > > Ya think? Why do you even bother posting this [censored] anymore? I gave you
    |> > > the benefit of the doubt last post but it's plain and simple now...
    |> > > there is a problem, you have a problem. ANy idea what it is????
    |> > > Laureen
    |> >
    |> > What seems easy to some, may be difficult for others. Don't you agree?
    |>
    |> Laureen had to get her guts cut out to keep from shoveling so much grub in,
    |> so she's not exactly the poster child for moderation.
    |
    |Barbara why are you so [censored] to Laureen about her WLS decision? It
    |was her money and her decision. If you thought your happy ass was
    |anonymous behind that nym you were clearly mistaken my dear. Almost
    |nobody's life is capable of standing up to close scrutiny, and yours
    |isn't when it comes to being a "poster child for moderation" either.
    |
    |Carmen <----- Look Barb, no nym!

    Barbara is a sick troll; I've had her killfiled for about a month ever
    since she posted what I imagine she thought was a cruel comment about
    my being a gimp because I've had a stroke. (Also thinking that she
    was being clever by "hiding" her real identity). In that same post
    she again commented on Laureen's WLS.. Fortunately I only feel sorry
    for people with such low self-esteem that they spend their time and
    energy trying to bring others down to their level. How sad that she
    apparently has no real life. I killfiled her because I don't want
    to waste my time reading completely useless drivel.

  14. On 7 Jun 2006 14:12:14 -0700, [email hidden] wrote:

    |Carmen wrote:
    |> Background: The last time he posted this stuff she was very honest
    |> about her own experiences vis-a-vis the food consumption issue that
    |> lead to the WLS. She related that it took brutal honesty to get her on
    |> the road to the relative bounding good health she has now, and that's
    |> what she was giving him. Lots of other people also told him that the
    |> alcohol was loaded with calories and he ought to ditch it. He said he
    |> didn't think it was really a problem.
    |
    |Well, he's not posting to an alcoholic newsgroup, but a low-carb
    |newsgroup.
    |
    All the more reason that it should be honestly pointed out that the
    body burns alcohol before it will burn stored fat and will
    consequently inhibit weight loss.

  15. Sheesh! You ranted like you just smoked some of that crack!!! My
    thought: if you post something you have to expect to get some sort of
    reply. It's kind of like if you dish it out ya gotta take it. But if it
    gets too hot in the ol kitchen, GTF out!!!!!

    FOB said:

    Applause!!!

    In news:[email hidden],
    [email hidden] <[email hidden]> stated

    | So what if he likes to drink? So what if he could lose faster? If
    | he's content with his loss and his diet, I don't see why you need to
    | follow him around and [censored] about his drinking.
    |
    | I'm from a family of alcoholics and drug addicts. The only time
    | anyone in my family has ever been skinny is when they were on crack.
    | I have major *issues* around alcohol and drug use and generally don't
    | hang out with people who use much. That's my choice.
    |
    | That being said, I don't see why when he posts about his weight loss
    | on a low-carb newsgroup, we should give him [censored]. It's his life and
    | his choice. Lots of folks drink and not all of them have a "problem"
    | with it. And even if he has a "problem," so what? His choice.
    |
    | I just don't see why he's got to put up with you giving him [censored] every
    | time he posts, just cause you don't agree with how he's doing it. I
    | don't agree with how you did it, but I've never felt the need to
    | follow-up all your posts telling you so. You're happy with your
    | choices, so who I am to [censored] at you for them being different than my
    | choices?
    |
    | Jeez... give the guy a break, he's not saying *you* should drink.

  16. SO..... if I came in here and said: "Im going to try low carb but I'm
    not giving up sugar free candy." I then come back and start another
    thread and say "Boy I sure ate a [censored] of candy... BUT.....I lost 8
    pounds this month eating that sugar free candy and salad."You mean to
    tell me I wouldnt get a butt load of [censored] from all of you!! I THINK
    SO!!!!!!!! Even if the candy is sugar free it isnt good for you to eat
    it in large quantities. He drinks admittedly in LARGE quantiities and
    often. Its all the same.
    Laureen

    Quoted message said:
    Laureen said:

    We both know 8 pounds could have been gone the first week with eating
    right. Pure meats and veggies and no booze. He admits he sure drinks a
    lot. Excessive alcohol is counter productive. Weighing as much as he
    does he should have and could have dumped way more if he hadnt imbibed
    so much on the brew. His calories are coming from alcohol. I could eat
    salad and drink wine and lose weight but how good would that be for me?

    So what if he likes to drink? So what if he could lose faster? If
    he's content with his loss and his diet, I don't see why you need to
    follow him around and [censored] about his drinking.

    I'm from a family of alcoholics and drug addicts. The only time anyone
    in my family has ever been skinny is when they were on crack. I have
    major *issues* around alcohol and drug use and generally don't hang out
    with people who use much. That's my choice.

    That being said, I don't see why when he posts about his weight loss on
    a low-carb newsgroup, we should give him [censored]. It's his life and his
    choice. Lots of folks drink and not all of them have a "problem" with
    it. And even if he has a "problem," so what? His choice.

    I just don't see why he's got to put up with you giving him [censored] every
    time he posts, just cause you don't agree with how he's doing it. I
    don't agree with how you did it, but I've never felt the need to
    follow-up all your posts telling you so. You're happy with your
    choices, so who I am to [censored] at you for them being different than my
    choices?

    Jeez... give the guy a break, he's not saying *you* should drink.

  17. Marengo said:

    Wow! Why the anger?

    I dunno, I wasn't aware of being angry.

    Quoted message said:

    The OP posted here asking for advice about his eating plan and Laureen
    -- and others -- gave the logical (and appropriate) response. She
    wasn't preaching about the moral evils of drinking, she was merely
    stating the truth about drinking interfering with weight loss. Some
    people hate it though when pesky facts get in the way of their
    personal justifications.

    First time around, sure. This time, he was posting his *results.* And
    he got results in spite of drinking. I agree he drinks a lot, as his
    table showed. But... so what?

    I personally think what Laureen did was way the hell more unhealthy
    than drinking, even heavy drinking. But again... so what? Her body,
    her life, her choice.

    Laureen gets [censored] from a few [censored] on here every time she posts
    about her own results. Seems to me she'd "get" why it's inappropriate
    as hell to flame someone for getting the results they wanted.

  18. Laureen said:

    Sheesh! You ranted like you just smoked some of that crack!!! My
    thought: if you post something you have to expect to get some sort of
    reply. It's kind of like if you dish it out ya gotta take it. But if it
    gets too hot in the ol kitchen, GTF out!!!!!

    You can take your own advice, babe.

  19. I caught the grin, thanks <G>

    I've actually always been quite the ectomorph, actually, and in
    terms of my booze intake, I'll be honest, I drink typically 2 beers per
    evening on average, sometimes more. Been doing that since I started
    low-carbing, started at around 260 pounds, now hovering at around 200.
    Things I've already mentioned still hold - I run 20-30 miles per week,
    don't count carbs or calories, and eat copious salad, berries, eggs,
    bacon, steak, nuts, cheese, and the like.

    Maybe I am a freak. But I am what I consider a "heavy" drinker, and
    although I'm probably on at least the borderline of what most might
    consider healthy drinking (excepting Australians perhaps), it hasn't
    seemed to hinder my weight loss any.

    Am I skinny fat? I dunno. I seem skinnier. I have veins on my arms
    and torso now, hadn't seen those since high school.

    Carmen said:
    FOB said:

    Or he could have different standards than you.

    In news:[email hidden],
    Carmen <[email hidden]> stated

    | You could be a skinny fat person, meaning you have the appearance of a
    | person of normal weight, but have a higher than healthy percentage of
    | body fat. Or you could be a freak. <G>

    He's reached his goal weight, and his post broadly hints that he's done
    so using alcohol, and in the context of this discussion it would have
    to be somewhat liberally to be meaningful. Based on his being at goal
    weight, and the fact that the body must first attend to the disposition
    of alcohol before it can do anything else (like burn body fat) the
    ketones that he ran on (which eventually came from the alcohol after it
    was converted to acetate and some other stuff happened to it) provided
    fuel that his body fat could have been providing. Without being burned
    the body fat isn't going to go anywhere. It's going to constitute a
    disproportionately larger percentage of the smaller goal weight than if
    there had not been alcohol fuel to interfere in the process of weight
    loss.
    Now, with that all laid out do you see how his standards do not enter
    into the equation?
    A "healthy percentage of body fat" is determined by correlation with
    the incidence of diseases and disorders associated with it in a studied
    population. My quip about him possibly being "a freak" was just that,
    a quip, meant to denote the possibility that all the normal rules of
    metabolism do not apply to him. Normally I put a "NOTE TO THE HUMOR
    IMPAIRED" disclaimer on such things. I forgot this time. Please
    forgive me.

    Carmen

  20. Carmen said:
    FOB said:

    I see how his standard for tolerable body fat may differ from yours.

    Of course. That would come under personal taste, and as such would be
    purely subjective. "Healthy body weight" isn't subjective though.

    Carmen

    <snip>

    I consider being substantially within the "normal" range of the BMI
    as a reasonable, albeit highly imprecise objective indicator of
    "healthy body weight."

    I personally think fat-to-muscle ratio and body shape (for example,
    absence of significant abdominal adiposity) to be far more important
    indicators of healtth than simply the linear combination of one's
    weight and height. And I have far more important things to do than dunk
    myself in a water tank or get pinched with calipers.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.