Bottle Cages for racing on harsh roads

bgoetz

Nov 25, 2010
I have figured out the primary build of my new bike, nice looking, light weight, SRAM Force, but I still need to find some bottle cages. Here is the catch, I do a ton of racing, that is what this bike is for, so I need something that will actually HOLD my bottles on rough roads at high speeds. For those who don't race, or don't race on some of the rough roads that I come across, imagine a hand full of water bottles flying back through the peloton, every race. The fact that these bottles could and do crash other cyclists is a concern, but more of a concern is the fact that you could go from 2 bottles to 1 with miles to go to the finish, this could literally be as significant to race results as a flat. IMO you could spend $100 on a cage that weighs nothing, but if it does not hold your bottle it is worthless. Currently I have had great luck with Bontrager's Race Lite Cage (never lost a bottle even on some of the most harsh roads), but they are so heavy and clunky looking it is hard to not want a nice light carbon cage on my new bike. However, I am NOT going to sacrifice function.

So I am looking for opinions of those who have raced on some of the worst roads and have had great success with a light weight (~25g), carbon cage.

I like the Arundel CF cages: http://www.arundelbike.com/daveo.html?p=1.1.1.1

Never lost a bottle with these and yes, lot's of fast stretches of rough roads in races and in training. They're not cheap, but they're very reliable for a light cage and I can't say that about all the cages I've tried over the years.

-Dave

If there is a carbon cage suitable for use on rough roads, I haven't found it yet. Carbon has a laquered and slippery surface, and is not moldable at all (unlike steel). There is a good reason why many pro teams opt for Elite Ciussi Steel Cages at Paris Roubaix. At any rate, I've never found the weight savings of a carbon cage (a few grammes at best) to be worth the extra expense and fragility.

Another good one is the steel Trek angel cage. Again, light enough as makes no difference, affordable, looks classic, and holds on tight. If it isn't tight enough you could always bend the steel slightly to suit (can't do that with plastic or carbon).

A non metal alternative is the Velocity Velocage. Holds bottles like glue. Made from plastic, very cheap, very light. Come in some crazy coulours too (including glow in the dark). They hold bottles so well that I had to cut slots in mine just so that I can pull the bottle out! The only way you could loose a bottle with one of these is if the cage itself came loose from the frame.

If, however, you have your heart set on carbon, then consider using some grip tape applied to the inner surfaces.

I second the Elite cages. I have used them for almost 15 years and never lost a bottle.

I second the grip tape. It looks like the easiest and least expensive solution.

Yes the Elite carbon cages are very good, I have used one for some time, but the Topeak Shuttle CB Carbon Bottle Cage is better IMO :)