Bottom Freezers

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:17:17 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I'm unhappy that I
> sent my 40 y.o. Coldspot to the landfill. It had split adjustable shelves
> and a top freezer.

Look around, I think you'll find something that fit your needs. My GE
has split shelves and I can take out the basket in the freezer drawer
if I wish.

Stark wrote:

> I much prefer a side-by-side that has a large lower semi-freezer drawer
> where I keep meat that's about to be cooked. It's cold enough to
> semi-freeze skinless chicken breasts if left long enough and will start
> to thaw frozen meat that if left a little long doesn't lose it's color.

We have a side by side. I don't like it. The freezer space is smaller
and I don't think it is near as efficient as a top freezer. We are in
the market for a new fridge and are looking at the top freezer models in
either stainless or white.

> I suspect that much of the popularity of bottom freezers is a fad and
> that side-by-sides with freezers on the right side will be the next hot
> concept. Then top freezers . . ooooh how Retro! How cool!

In article <[email protected]>, Nick
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> >> $$$

> > Yep, definitely more expensive, but I've never really figured out
> > why.

> Because they are the new thing.

LOL!!! My sister had one 40 years ago.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 6/17/05 Pictures & story
from Notable Women's Dinner at the Governor's Residence.

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:56:00 -0400, Dave Smith
<[email protected]> wrote:

>rosie wrote:
>
>> I have an LG with the bottom freezer and I love it, in my side by side
>> reefer/freezer I could not fit a large turkey or a wide baking pan, in
>> this , everything fits. I would not go back to the side by side.

>Most people seem to like the bottom freezer units. I don't know why they
>are not more popular. I had a side by side. Never again. It is nothing but
>a lot of wasted space, and like you say, hard to fit anything large in it.

Since you ask... I chose my side-by-side refrigerator for two reasons:
1) it fit in the space allotted (I absolutely needed a "counter depth"
refrigerator) and 2) the side-by-side doors don't require as much
swing-out space as a full size door so it works more comfortably in my
little kitchen.

I don't see how space is wasted in a side-by-side. This is the first
one I've had and it works fine. In fact, I really prefer these doors
and the fact that stuff doesn't get lost.

I go into my freezer several times a day. A bottom freezer would mean
a lot more bending and reaching on a daily basis. Freezing large
things is an issue only once in a while. I cope.

Sue(tm)

This subject line made me think of sitting on ice, and I have no idea why.

Shaun aRe - Just thought I'd pass that on.

Shaun aRe wrote:
> This subject line made me think of sitting on ice,

When I saw your name the Subj. line made me think of "Bottom Feeders".
hehe

> I have no idea.

Got that right.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Sheldon

news:[email protected]...

You get the hell away from my **** you scum bag.

> > I have no idea.

> Got that right.

What it is you are actually good for. Indeed.

Shaun aRe

"MOMPEAGRAM" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> We're getting a new larger frig and we liked the idea of the slide-out
>> lower freezer. This affords us all the horizontal space at the eye
>> level frig area.
>>
>> Here's the model we're intersted in:
>> http://www.epinions.com/pr-Amana_ABB2524DE
>>
>> Any opinions on these lower freezer models?

I much prefer warm bottoms!

>> JaKe
>> Seattle

> This is the model I bought:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/82amo

[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We're getting a new larger frig and we liked the idea of the slide-out
> lower freezer. This affords us all the horizontal space at the eye
> level frig area.

If you can afford a SubZero, this is the best refrigerator I've ever
had:

http://www.subzero.com/subzero/description.asp?id=611

It's pricey, but easy to clean, easy to access, the pull out "filing
drawer" freezer unit is brilliant. Bottom freezers rock. The main
refrigeration space is bright, wide and has a somewhat shallow depth
that makes it easy to find stuff at the back of the refrigerator.

We ever move again? I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

As a somewhat amusing aside, when the appliances arrived (remodeled a
kitchen), the Thermador stove quoted blah-blah pounds as its weight.
The SubZero just said "Heavy." What an understatement.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines