Bottom Freezers

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Jun 21, 2005.

  1. We're getting a new larger frig and we liked the idea of the slide-out
    lower freezer. This affords us all the horizontal space at the eye
    level frig area.

    Here's the model we're intersted in:
    http://www.epinions.com/pr-Amana_ABB2524DE

    Any opinions on these lower freezer models?

    JaKe
    Seattle

    Tags:

  2. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > We're getting a new larger frig and we liked the idea of the slide-out
    > lower freezer. This affords us all the horizontal space at the eye
    > level frig area.
    >
    > Here's the model we're intersted in:
    > http://www.epinions.com/pr-Amana_ABB2524DE
    >
    > Any opinions on these lower freezer models?
    >
    > JaKe
    > Seattle

    I have what appears to be the same model only stainless I love it. The only
    thing, of course there always has to be an only thing, I wish there was more
    room in the freezer. We gave away our small chest freezer so this is our
    only one now. The ice-maker takes up a lot of room. But other than that, I
    love it.

  3. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > We're getting a new larger frig and we liked the idea of the slide-out
    > lower freezer. This affords us all the horizontal space at the eye
    > level frig area.
    >
    > Here's the model we're intersted in:
    > http://www.epinions.com/pr-Amana_ABB2524DE
    >
    > Any opinions on these lower freezer models?
    >
    > JaKe
    > Seattle

    I have that model. It's FANTASTIC. Very quiet.

    The only minor annoyance is that the sliding freezer shelves are made of
    wire grating. When you slide them in and out, small things fall through the
    grating. Not a big deal, but if you think you're going to be really
    organized and put the individually wrapped chicken breasts or pork chops on
    the top shelf, they're probably going to travel to the bottom whenever they
    feel like it. I guess I could stick a square Rubbermaid container in there
    for small stuff, but I keep forgetting and I don't care. :)

  4. Vilco

    Vilco Guest

    Stavo dormendo su un bancale di lambro quando il post di Doug Kanter
    mi desto'

    > the bottom whenever they feel like it. I guess I could stick a

    square
    > Rubbermaid container in there for small stuff, but I keep forgetting
    > and I don't care. :)

    Wonderful one! Beer or valium? :)))))
    --
    Vilco
    Think pink, drink rose'

  5. Vilco

    Vilco Guest

    Stavo dormendo su un bancale di lambro quando il post di Vilco mi
    desto'

    > Wonderful one! Beer or valium? :)))))

    What a deja-vu...
    --
    Vilco
    Think pink, drink rose'

  6. Vilco

    Vilco Guest

    Stavo dormendo su un bancale di lambro quando il post di Vilco mi
    desto'

    >> Wonderful one! Beer or valium? :)))))

    > What a deja-vu...

    Me beer, anyway :)
    --
    Vilco
    Think pink, drink rose'

  7. In article <[email protected]>,

    > We're getting a new larger frig and we liked the idea of the slide-out
    > lower freezer. This affords us all the horizontal space at the eye
    > level frig area.
    >
    > Here's the model we're intersted in:
    > http://www.epinions.com/pr-Amana_ABB2524DE
    >
    > Any opinions on these lower freezer models?
    >
    > JaKe
    > Seattle

    I'll never go back to a top-freezer model. I've got an Amana that's 1-2
    years old.
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 6/17/05 Pictures & story
    from Notable Women's Dinner at the Governor's Residence.

  8. On 21 Jun 2005 13:06:31 -0700, "[email protected]"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >We're getting a new larger frig and we liked the idea of the slide-out
    >lower freezer. This affords us all the horizontal space at the eye
    >level frig area.

    I've had both. My latest one is a SubZero bottom freezer drawer and I
    much prefer it. You spend much more time getting in and out of the
    refrigerator section than the freezer section and it's easier to see
    everything when the refrigerator section is above the freezer section,
    IMHO. And the SubZero has sliding baskets, so you can easily see
    what's down there.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  9. rosie

    rosie Guest

    I have an LG with the bottom freezer and I love it, in my side by side
    reefer/freezer I could not fit a large turkey or a wide baking pan, in
    this , everything fits. I would not go back to the side by side.
    Rosie

  10. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    rosie wrote:

    > I have an LG with the bottom freezer and I love it, in my side by side
    > reefer/freezer I could not fit a large turkey or a wide baking pan, in
    > this , everything fits. I would not go back to the side by side.

    Most people seem to like the bottom freezer units. I don't know why they
    are not more popular. I had a side by side. Never again. It is nothing but
    a lot of wasted space, and like you say, hard to fit anything large in it.

  11. In article <[email protected]>, Dave Smith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Most people seem to like the bottom freezer units. I don't know why they
    > are not more popular.

    $$$
    --

  12. On Tue 21 Jun 2005 08:45:56p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Dave Smith
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Most people seem to like the bottom freezer units. I don't know why they
    >> are not more popular.

    > $$$

    Yep, definitely more expensive, but I've never really figured out why.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0525-1, 06/21/2005
    Tested on: 6/21/2005 8:50:03 PM

  13. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > We're getting a new larger frig and we liked the idea of the slide-out
    > lower freezer. This affords us all the horizontal space at the eye
    > level frig area.
    >
    > Here's the model we're intersted in:
    > http://www.epinions.com/pr-Amana_ABB2524DE
    >
    > Any opinions on these lower freezer models?
    >
    > JaKe
    > Seattle

    I wouldn't get a refrigerator without split shelves that were vertically
    adjustable every inch or so. A friend gave me her bottom freezer
    refrigerator to use as a second fridge. No split shelves, no adjustable
    shelves. What a waste of space. I really thought that I would like the
    bottom freezer because it would be so much easier to see what's in the
    fridge. I don't like it though--it seems that whatever I want to put in the
    freezer doesn't fit because some darn rack is in the way. I'd probably like
    the refrigerator part if the shelves were different. I'm unhappy that I
    sent my 40 y.o. Coldspot to the landfill. It had split adjustable shelves
    and a top freezer.
    Janet

  14. Not really, the 25 cu ft Amana bottom freezer one I'm getting was only
    $1075!

  15. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> We're getting a new larger frig and we liked the idea of the slide-out
    >> lower freezer. This affords us all the horizontal space at the eye
    >> level frig area.
    >>
    >> Here's the model we're intersted in:
    >> http://www.epinions.com/pr-Amana_ABB2524DE
    >>
    >> Any opinions on these lower freezer models?
    >>
    >> JaKe
    >> Seattle
    >>

    > I wouldn't get a refrigerator without split shelves that were vertically
    > adjustable every inch or so. A friend gave me her bottom freezer
    > refrigerator to use as a second fridge. No split shelves, no adjustable
    > shelves. What a waste of space. I really thought that I would like the
    > bottom freezer because it would be so much easier to see what's in the
    > fridge. I don't like it though--it seems that whatever I want to put in
    > the freezer doesn't fit because some darn rack is in the way. I'd
    > probably like the refrigerator part if the shelves were different. I'm
    > unhappy that I sent my 40 y.o. Coldspot to the landfill. It had split
    > adjustable shelves and a top freezer.
    > Janet

    The Amana has adjustable split shelves, at least the model I own does. I
    didn't inspect the web link closely, but if that model doesn't have them,
    the OP should poke around for the one that does.

  16. Stark

    Stark Guest

    I much prefer a side-by-side that has a large lower semi-freezer drawer
    where I keep meat that's about to be cooked. It's cold enough to
    semi-freeze skinless chicken breasts if left long enough and will start
    to thaw frozen meat that if left a little long doesn't lose it's color.

    I suspect that much of the popularity of bottom freezers is a fad and
    that side-by-sides with freezers on the right side will be the next hot
    concept. Then top freezers . . ooooh how Retro! How cool!

  17. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Stark wrote:

    > I suspect that much of the popularity of bottom freezers is a fad and
    > that side-by-sides with freezers on the right side will be the next hot
    > concept. Then top freezers . . ooooh how Retro! How cool!

    They have had bottom drawer freezers for a long, long while. My
    grandmother had one. I had always heard that they were *more* energy
    efficient. My next one will be one.
    Goomba

  18. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >> Dave Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> Most people seem to like the bottom freezer units. I don't know why
    >>> they are not more popular.

    >> $$$

    > Yep, definitely more expensive, but I've never really figured out
    > why.

    Because they are the new thing.

  19. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Stark wrote:

    > I much prefer a side-by-side that has a large lower semi-freezer drawer
    > where I keep meat that's about to be cooked. It's cold enough to
    > semi-freeze skinless chicken breasts if left long enough and will start
    > to thaw frozen meat that if left a little long doesn't lose it's color.
    >
    > I suspect that much of the popularity of bottom freezers is a fad and
    > that side-by-sides with freezers on the right side will be the next hot
    > concept. Then top freezers . . ooooh how Retro! How cool!

    You may be correct. I remember that we had a bottom freezer in the early
    70s.

  20. sf

    sf Guest

    On 21 Jun 2005 13:06:31 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    > We're getting a new larger frig and we liked the idea of the slide-out
    > lower freezer. This affords us all the horizontal space at the eye
    > level frig area.
    >
    > Here's the model we're intersted in:
    > http://www.epinions.com/pr-Amana_ABB2524DE
    >
    > Any opinions on these lower freezer models?

    We have a GE Profile and I think having a freezer drawer on the bottom
    is a great configuration. Go for it! I'm assuming that most modern
    refrigerators feature a movable shelf in the freezer drawer, so you
    can get to items on the bottom easily. No digging!