Bottom Freezers

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We're getting a new larger frig and we liked the idea of the slide-out
> lower freezer. This affords us all the horizontal space at the eye
> level frig area.
>
> Here's the model we're intersted in:
> http://www.epinions.com/pr-Amana_ABB2524DE
>
> Any opinions on these lower freezer models?
>
> JaKe
> Seattle

I have what appears to be the same model only stainless I love it. The only
thing, of course there always has to be an only thing, I wish there was more
room in the freezer. We gave away our small chest freezer so this is our
only one now. The ice-maker takes up a lot of room. But other than that, I
love it.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We're getting a new larger frig and we liked the idea of the slide-out
> lower freezer. This affords us all the horizontal space at the eye
> level frig area.
>
> Here's the model we're intersted in:
> http://www.epinions.com/pr-Amana_ABB2524DE
>
> Any opinions on these lower freezer models?
>
> JaKe
> Seattle

I have that model. It's FANTASTIC. Very quiet.

The only minor annoyance is that the sliding freezer shelves are made of
wire grating. When you slide them in and out, small things fall through the
grating. Not a big deal, but if you think you're going to be really
organized and put the individually wrapped chicken breasts or pork chops on
the top shelf, they're probably going to travel to the bottom whenever they
feel like it. I guess I could stick a square Rubbermaid container in there
for small stuff, but I keep forgetting and I don't care. :)

Stavo dormendo su un bancale di lambro quando il post di Doug Kanter
mi desto'

> the bottom whenever they feel like it. I guess I could stick a

square
> Rubbermaid container in there for small stuff, but I keep forgetting
> and I don't care. :)

Wonderful one! Beer or valium? :)))))
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Stavo dormendo su un bancale di lambro quando il post di Vilco mi
desto'

> Wonderful one! Beer or valium? :)))))

What a deja-vu...
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Stavo dormendo su un bancale di lambro quando il post di Vilco mi
desto'

>> Wonderful one! Beer or valium? :)))))

> What a deja-vu...

Me beer, anyway :)
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

> We're getting a new larger frig and we liked the idea of the slide-out
> lower freezer. This affords us all the horizontal space at the eye
> level frig area.
>
> Here's the model we're intersted in:
> http://www.epinions.com/pr-Amana_ABB2524DE
>
> Any opinions on these lower freezer models?
>
> JaKe
> Seattle

I'll never go back to a top-freezer model. I've got an Amana that's 1-2
years old.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 6/17/05 Pictures & story
from Notable Women's Dinner at the Governor's Residence.

On 21 Jun 2005 13:06:31 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>We're getting a new larger frig and we liked the idea of the slide-out
>lower freezer. This affords us all the horizontal space at the eye
>level frig area.

I've had both. My latest one is a SubZero bottom freezer drawer and I
much prefer it. You spend much more time getting in and out of the
refrigerator section than the freezer section and it's easier to see
everything when the refrigerator section is above the freezer section,
IMHO. And the SubZero has sliding baskets, so you can easily see
what's down there.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

I have an LG with the bottom freezer and I love it, in my side by side
reefer/freezer I could not fit a large turkey or a wide baking pan, in
this , everything fits. I would not go back to the side by side.
Rosie

rosie wrote:

> I have an LG with the bottom freezer and I love it, in my side by side
> reefer/freezer I could not fit a large turkey or a wide baking pan, in
> this , everything fits. I would not go back to the side by side.

Most people seem to like the bottom freezer units. I don't know why they
are not more popular. I had a side by side. Never again. It is nothing but
a lot of wasted space, and like you say, hard to fit anything large in it.

In article <[email protected]>, Dave Smith
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Most people seem to like the bottom freezer units. I don't know why they
> are not more popular.

$$$
--

On Tue 21 Jun 2005 08:45:56p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article <[email protected]>, Dave Smith
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Most people seem to like the bottom freezer units. I don't know why they
>> are not more popular.

> $$$

Yep, definitely more expensive, but I've never really figured out why.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-1, 06/21/2005
Tested on: 6/21/2005 8:50:03 PM

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We're getting a new larger frig and we liked the idea of the slide-out
> lower freezer. This affords us all the horizontal space at the eye
> level frig area.
>
> Here's the model we're intersted in:
> http://www.epinions.com/pr-Amana_ABB2524DE
>
> Any opinions on these lower freezer models?
>
> JaKe
> Seattle

I wouldn't get a refrigerator without split shelves that were vertically
adjustable every inch or so. A friend gave me her bottom freezer
refrigerator to use as a second fridge. No split shelves, no adjustable
shelves. What a waste of space. I really thought that I would like the
bottom freezer because it would be so much easier to see what's in the
fridge. I don't like it though--it seems that whatever I want to put in the
freezer doesn't fit because some darn rack is in the way. I'd probably like
the refrigerator part if the shelves were different. I'm unhappy that I
sent my 40 y.o. Coldspot to the landfill. It had split adjustable shelves
and a top freezer.
Janet

"Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> We're getting a new larger frig and we liked the idea of the slide-out
>> lower freezer. This affords us all the horizontal space at the eye
>> level frig area.
>>
>> Here's the model we're intersted in:
>> http://www.epinions.com/pr-Amana_ABB2524DE
>>
>> Any opinions on these lower freezer models?
>>
>> JaKe
>> Seattle
>>

> I wouldn't get a refrigerator without split shelves that were vertically
> adjustable every inch or so. A friend gave me her bottom freezer
> refrigerator to use as a second fridge. No split shelves, no adjustable
> shelves. What a waste of space. I really thought that I would like the
> bottom freezer because it would be so much easier to see what's in the
> fridge. I don't like it though--it seems that whatever I want to put in
> the freezer doesn't fit because some darn rack is in the way. I'd
> probably like the refrigerator part if the shelves were different. I'm
> unhappy that I sent my 40 y.o. Coldspot to the landfill. It had split
> adjustable shelves and a top freezer.
> Janet

The Amana has adjustable split shelves, at least the model I own does. I
didn't inspect the web link closely, but if that model doesn't have them,
the OP should poke around for the one that does.

I much prefer a side-by-side that has a large lower semi-freezer drawer
where I keep meat that's about to be cooked. It's cold enough to
semi-freeze skinless chicken breasts if left long enough and will start
to thaw frozen meat that if left a little long doesn't lose it's color.

I suspect that much of the popularity of bottom freezers is a fad and
that side-by-sides with freezers on the right side will be the next hot
concept. Then top freezers . . ooooh how Retro! How cool!

Stark wrote:

> I suspect that much of the popularity of bottom freezers is a fad and
> that side-by-sides with freezers on the right side will be the next hot
> concept. Then top freezers . . ooooh how Retro! How cool!

They have had bottom drawer freezers for a long, long while. My
grandmother had one. I had always heard that they were *more* energy
efficient. My next one will be one.
Goomba

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Most people seem to like the bottom freezer units. I don't know why
>>> they are not more popular.

>> $$$

> Yep, definitely more expensive, but I've never really figured out
> why.

Because they are the new thing.

Stark wrote:

> I much prefer a side-by-side that has a large lower semi-freezer drawer
> where I keep meat that's about to be cooked. It's cold enough to
> semi-freeze skinless chicken breasts if left long enough and will start
> to thaw frozen meat that if left a little long doesn't lose it's color.
>
> I suspect that much of the popularity of bottom freezers is a fad and
> that side-by-sides with freezers on the right side will be the next hot
> concept. Then top freezers . . ooooh how Retro! How cool!

You may be correct. I remember that we had a bottom freezer in the early
70s.

On 21 Jun 2005 13:06:31 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> We're getting a new larger frig and we liked the idea of the slide-out
> lower freezer. This affords us all the horizontal space at the eye
> level frig area.
>
> Here's the model we're intersted in:
> http://www.epinions.com/pr-Amana_ABB2524DE
>
> Any opinions on these lower freezer models?

We have a GE Profile and I think having a freezer drawer on the bottom
is a great configuration. Go for it! I'm assuming that most modern
refrigerators feature a movable shelf in the freezer drawer, so you
can get to items on the bottom easily. No digging!