Boulevard Road Race

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by William Belafor, Jan 31, 2003.

  1. The season-opening Boulevard Road Race is tommorrow in East San Diego County.

    Usually this race has a number of professional riders taking part in spite of its non-existent
    prizelist. Many are here for the warm winter training.

    In past years, Mercury would dominate, but at this season it looks like Horsetoof won't be in
    business. The team that has the numbers looks to be Schroeder since they're starting their training
    camp this weekend and will field a full squad. Usually there are a few Postals along with a
    smattering of serious riders from other teams.

    The course has something for everyone - long tempo climbs (~3 miles), crosswinds, anaerobic rollers.
    The local guys usually struggle just to finish. Once riders explode, they usually aren't too keen on
    riding the entire 90 miles on their own. You can't soft-pedal that course even if there's no wind.

    I predict one of the Shroeder riders will win because they have the numbers.

    As for local riders, I'll pick Chris Daggs (THE FORCE) to finish in second. That man is a force to
    be reckoned with. Just ask him.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=daggs+reckoned+with+group:rec.bicycles.rac
    ing&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=20000524023231.05869.00000573%40ng-cv1.aol.com&r num=3

    at your service,

    William Belaforous Kelly

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    I've seen Chris lately. He's looking ripped and ready to roll. (I won' tell you about the coffee
    shop in Carlsbad where I saw him profiling...)

    news:[email protected]...

  3. "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've seen Chris lately. He's looking ripped and ready to roll. (I won' tell you about the coffee
    > shop in Carlsbad where I saw him profiling...)

    Is it the shop where all the Turd Burglars hang out?

    THE FORCE will be lucky to last 2 laps.

  4. Chris Daggs

    Chris Daggs Guest

    > "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I've seen Chris lately. He's looking ripped and ready to roll. (I won' tell you about the coffee
    > > shop in Carlsbad where I saw him profiling...)
    >

    > Is it the shop where all the Turd Burglars hang out?
    >

    > THE FORCE will be lucky to last 2 laps.

    Thanks guys. And Chang I did finish.

    I even saw you out riding and cheering for me! Nothing like having Chang cheer for you at the races.

    Daggs

  5. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    He said "I did finish," not "I won," or even "I placed." Gotta work on that climbing there Chris.

    Kudos to Chris for even doing the darn race! Since I'm allergic to hills, I didn't even bother...
    Why drive all the way out to the East Co., pay $25, and then get dropped on the first hill?

    news:lxS%[email protected]...

  6. "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:lBS%[email protected]...
    > He said "I did finish," not "I won," or even "I placed

    He did say that he is a force to be reckoned with. click on the link in the first post of
    this thread.

  7. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

  8. "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:DwT%[email protected]...
    > Yeah, but CHRIS didn't say it, one of his "fan club" members did...

    He posted it and he doesn't deny it.

    From the link: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=daggs+reckoned+with+group:rec.bicycles.racing
    &hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=20000524023231.05869.00000573%40ng-cv1.aol.com&rnum=3 Let's get some facts
    straight Mr. Wiback:

    1. I was in the race until the bitter end and never got off in the feed zone.
    2. It is true that I have never ridden another elite nationals or european race, but my 12 years of
    racing experience spanning 3 decades (80's, 90's, and now 00) have given me insight into what
    makes a good race and what doesn't. I have read enough VeloNews' and talked with numerous riders
    who have ridden in Europe to know what makes a good course and what is an easy course.
    3. I don't personally know Steve Cate, but I know his palmares-1997 U23 RR champ, 2000 RR champ. He
    is a strong rider with a good sprint which has taken him to the podium a number of times.
    Obviously he knew what to do; he won!
    4. 'Kissed ass to get his upgrade' A load of crap. I have established myself as a force to be
    reckoned with in SoCal. Don't you forget that! I don't remember seeing you in my races...oh
    that's right you were a sandbagger Cat 3 who sometimes did well in flat collegiate crits. Didn't
    you do a race with me in San Diego (Barrio crit) after you got your undeserved upgrade and didn't
    I beat you in the field sprint (your forte)? I earned my upgrade homey. Lots of breaks in crits
    and RRs and often a GC place in a stage race.

    Yup Mr. Wiback, you ought not get your puppy dog ass in front of your alligator mouth. Your
    experience has come through numerous years of doing the collegiate circuit (have you got a degree
    yet?) and that has been with limited success at best. Where is your collegiate national title? Oh
    that's right "next year" you've said for the past few years. Maybe after a few more USCF races
    you'll understand racing and get into the top 20. I'd say we could settle this like men, but you are
    just a boy learning the ways of a true elite racer. So sac up and come on down to Fiesta Island for
    the training crit this Thursday and I'll give you some racing lessons and a tip or two on sprinting.
    Then the following week we can try and settle the score, but I can tell you sure as the sun will
    rise in the east, I will prevail!

    Chris "BlackEagle1861" Daggs

    -

  9. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    Oops, my mistake. He IS talking out his ass... (At least he was last year)

    Chris has got to be laughing at us... I would be if we were discussing me.

    news:k0U%[email protected]...

  10. "Mike S." <[email protected]> writes:

    > Why drive all the way out to the East Co., pay $25, and then get dropped on the first hill?

    I don't do a whole lot of road races, but this course is the most fun (challenging) one I've done
    (in southern California).

    It is difficult enough that if you are a decent climber you will be able to put a pretty decent
    amount of hurt on those with lesser abilities than you.

    It separates the men from the industrial park crit wankers.

    What kind of rep does this race have regionally/nationally? Anyone ever hear of this race outside of
    California?

    -Gerard Industrial Park Crit Wanker

  11. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    I can't get people to understand that if the biggest hill I ever have to climb again is the banking
    at the track, I'll be perfectly happy. Bring on the flat crits!

    Mike "Gerard Lanois" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Mike S." <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > Why drive all the way out to the East Co., pay $25, and then get dropped on the first hill?
    >
    > I don't do a whole lot of road races, but this course is the most fun (challenging) one I've done
    > (in southern California).
    >
    > It is difficult enough that if you are a decent climber you will be able to put a pretty decent
    > amount of hurt on those with lesser abilities than you.
    >
    > It separates the men from the industrial park crit wankers.
    >
    > What kind of rep does this race have regionally/nationally? Anyone ever hear of this race outside
    > of California?
    >
    > -Gerard Industrial Park Crit Wanker

  12. Ronde Champ

    Ronde Champ Guest

    Welcome back, Henry.

    news:k0U%[email protected]...

> [...]
    collegiate
    > circuit (have you got a degree yet?) and that has been with limited
    success at
    > best. Where is your collegiate national title? Oh that's right "next year" you've said for the
    > past few years. Maybe after a few more USCF races
    you'll
    > understand racing and get into the top 20. I'd say we could settle this
    like
    > men, but you are just a boy learning the ways of a true elite racer. So
    sac up
    > and come on down to Fiesta Island for the training crit this Thursday and
    I'll
    > give you some racing lessons and a tip or two on sprinting. Then the
    following
    > week we can try and settle the score, but I can tell you sure as the sun

  13. Mike Woodson

    Mike Woodson Guest

    > Thanks guys. And Chang I did finish.
    >
    > I even saw you out riding and cheering for me! Nothing like having Chang cheer for you at
    > the races.
    >
    > Daggs

    Here are the results for Pro 1/2

    UCSD/Boulevard Road Race Presented by Lindows.com San Diego, February 1, 2003 Results Men's Pro 1/2
    (69 Riders)

    1 Michael Creed (Prime Alliance) 2 Chris Walker (RPM) 3 Thurlow Rogers (Long Beach Velo) 4 Mark
    Fitzgerald (Jelly Belly) 5 Ron Hudson (Morex) 6 Jacob Erker (Schroder) 7 Marcos Rios (Zombies) 8
    Aaron Olsen (Schroder) 9 Phillip Sublette (Viejas) 10 Jonathan Vaughters (Prime Alliance)

    Not bad for an old guy Thurlow !

  14. "Mike Woodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Here are the results for Pro 1/2
    >
    > UCSD/Boulevard Road Race Presented by Lindows.com San Diego, February 1, 2003 Results Men's Pro
    > 1/2 (69 Riders)
    >
    > 1 Michael Creed (Prime Alliance) 2 Chris Walker (RPM) 3 Thurlow Rogers (Long Beach Velo) 4 Mark
    > Fitzgerald (Jelly Belly) 5 Ron Hudson (Morex) 6 Jacob Erker (Schroder) 7 Marcos Rios (Zombies) 8
    > Aaron Olsen (Schroder) 9 Phillip Sublette (Viejas) 10 Jonathan Vaughters (Prime Alliance)

    That Mike Creed is a potty-mouth. It's a joke that USAC supports such an abominable human being.
    He's got no talent and will never make it. Same with Lance Armstrong. He plays up that cancer angle
    too much. Big whoop - I know a guy at my gym who took too many steroids, got testicular cancer and
    he's fine now. Why isn't he endorsing Coca-Cola and the subject of all sorts of stupid vignettes
    during the Olympics? Speaking of the Olympics, Armstrong's mom ruined the coverage. That ws
    disgusting when they spent half the race talking to her. And his wife looks just like a younger
    version of her. There's weird stuff going on.

    Lance Armstrong = 666. And Mike Creed isn't much better. He sent me an email with profanities in it
    5 years ago. He should be put in prison for that.

  15. Ronde Champ

    Ronde Champ Guest

    Have all of [email protected]'s posts been this funny? Because I wasn't reading them.

    Perhaps now I will.

    Thanks, Ronde Champ

    news:zAW%[email protected]...

  16. "Gerard Lanois" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What kind of rep does this race have regionally/nationally? Anyone ever hear of this race outside
    > of California?

    I've never raced in California but have heard of it. I always thought it was a tough regional RR
    that opens the "real" season.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  17. Omc

    Omc Guest

    "ronde champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Have all of [email protected]'s posts been this funny? Because I wasn't reading them.
    >
    > Perhaps now I will.
    >
    > Thanks, Ronde Champ
    >

    > "B. [email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:zAW%[email protected]...
    > >

    > > That Mike Creed is a potty-mouth. It's a joke that USAC supports such an abominable human being.
    > > He's got no talent and will never make it. Same
    > with
    > > Lance Armstrong. He plays up that cancer angle too much. Big whoop - I
    > know a
    > > guy at my gym who took too many steroids, got testicular cancer and he's
    > fine
    > > now. Why isn't he endorsing Coca-Cola and the subject of all sorts of
    > stupid
    > > vignettes during the Olympics? Speaking of the Olympics, Armstrong's mom
    > ruined
    > > the coverage. That ws disgusting when they spent half the race talking to
    > her.
    > > And his wife looks just like a younger version of her. There's weird stuff going on.
    > >
    > > Lance Armstrong = 666. And Mike Creed isn't much better. He sent me an
    > email
    > > with profanities in it 5 years ago. He should be put in prison for that.

    Come on...............you can do better than that, that's not the Lafferty we all know and love !
    Brian should be insulted by such a half-ass attempt to copy his style. If it really is Brian,
    then he isn't living up to is usual standards of excellence. Ronde is right, much funnier than
    the real Lafferty.

    OMC

  18. Mr. G. Boff

    Mr. G. Boff Guest

    So, who saw the race? I heard Chris Walker had a strong race.

  19. Dan

    Dan Guest