Boyd Williams Carbone sl Reynolds Assault

Lindorf

Feb 18, 2010
I am looking for a wheel with a significant profile, 50-6-mm in the raneg of 1000-1500. I ride t the enthusiast level, I am 170 lb would use the wheels everyday if possible. Mostly club rides with a road race now and again. In the Chicago area (not much in the way of mountains, or even hills.

I have a Cervelo R3 with Rol Race SL now, a very good alloy wheel, just want a pair of deep rims for calm days.

I am happy for all recommendations.

Lindorf

The world is your oyster.

First, if you do some searching, there are some Easton EC90 wheels for sale at great prices. They use a 50+ mm rim. The word on them is universally--for the most part--good.

If you go slightly out of your range, Nine G's Exos wheels are a great wheel, too. The rim is 50+ mm and is Nine G's proprietary rim. The wheel is built up with DT Aerolite spokes and DT240's hubs. I had a pair and loved them (1390 g was their weight.).

Both Token and Neuvation use Gigantex rims, but the rims are known to be excellent rims. Neuvation has a sale going right now, and their prices may be tough to beat. Neuvation also has stellar customer service.

American Classic offers yet another choice, albeit with questionably tasteful decals. Ritchey has their flavor, too.

Soul has been around for 2-4-ish years, but their wheels get rave reviews. If you call or email them, their head cheese, Sean, communicates straight away. Their prices are low, but don't let that fool you: they are excellent wheels and come with excellent customer service. If you read about them at Weight Weenies the word is good. You'll need to do a search as there are several threads on their wheels.

Last (at least of what I can come up with right now) are Mavic Cosmic Carbones. These wheels are real classics. I believe they've got some new variants in your price range, and I know that there are always Carbones on eBay. They may not be the lightest wheels, but that matters oh so little. They're supposed to roll/maintain speed very well, and they use one of the most aero rims out there.

If you're not opposed to used wheels, eBay can be your playground. Also, there are quite a few places on eBay selling new wheels at great prices. Take note, though, that the customer service you get from some eBay dealers may not be as good as what you could get at some established dealers.

Of all the wheels mentioned, the only ones I've used were the Nine G Exos wheels, and as I said, they're excellent and well worth their coin. I've used more expensive, lighter wheels--Reynolds Stratus DV tubulars and Lew VT-1 tubulars--but the difference between 'em all was very slight, with the Lews, the most expensive set, being the worst. Cost is not necessarily an indication of quality.

A lot of the manufacturers listed make both tubular and clincher variants. The choice is a personal one, and if you ask everyone which is better, you'll just end up neck deep in a religious war. Clinchers are typically heavier, but again, that's not a great concern.

Personally, my fantasy wheelset right now is a set of Zipp 285v4 rims (the same rim used in their revised 303 wheelsets), DT Aerolite spokes, and either Ligero, Alchemy, or White Industry hubs. Alas, those are a bit out of mine and your price range.

Good luck with the search.

Alienator:

Thanks so much for the very detailed help. The search continues. I am between Reynolds Assault which is not quite as aero as I really want but very good wheel and Cosmic Carbones, which are a bit heavier but have an aluminum braking surface so I don't have to change out pads when I change out wheels.

Waiting for Chicago spring to make the purchase.