BR: Initial Comments on the Switchblade

Paladin

Guest
Well, it's time for a report on my Switchblade, which I've ridden about
10 times.

All my bikes have their own names. This one is the Reverend Father
Titus, named for the book of Titus in the New Testament.

It's a 4-bar Horst link suspension, with a Manitou Minute on front
(130mm, adjustable), and Fox Talas on the rear (also adjustable), with
travel settings at roughly 4, 5, or 6 inches (I think). New Race Face
crankset and rings, Shimano grip shifts and xt rr derraileur. Avid
mechanicals. Next is to switch shifters & derr to SRAM, probably x9.
Vuelte Freeride wheels, kinda heavy, but seem pretty stout. Overall
weight is 32lbs. Could shave a little off with lighter wheels and to
drop the scoper seatpost for a Thomson elite. Maybe next month. Got a
Nevegal 2.3 on front and Motoraptor 2.4 on back.

Weighs in at 32lbs right now. Can probably get it down to 28-30 with a
few planned upgrades in the future.

With all that verbal diahrrea out of the way, the one word that
describes this bike is solid. It handles extremely well, doing
precisely what I tell it to, and not letting the terrain dictate how
the bike behaves or where it goes. I'm used to letting the terrain
chart my course on the light, fully rigid singlespeed, or on my light,
steel hardtail. This hombre, though, has me fully in control. Like it
or hate it, I have no one to blame but myself, since this bike will do
whatever I ask it to do, with panache and no *****ing or whining.

Climbing. An important subject around here. The geometry is designed
to place the rider over the rear wheel, so seated climbing appears most
efficient. Takes a little getting used to, as I've always done a lot
of my climbing standing up. I still stand from time to time when I get
tired of sitting on the long climbs or to pull myself up and over
something irregular like a rock or log. On a couple climbs, I've
dialed the front suspension down to about 80mm, but it doesn't make any
difference to me. It might help keep the front on track, though on
longer, steeper climbs. More to come on this, as I like a good, long
gutbusting climb.

Cornering. Probably more a function of the tires and rider, but again,
this bike does what I tell it, and it seems to read my mind most of the
time. No matter what I throw at it, and I'm not a very aggressive
rider, it just handles like it was nothing. No doubt a much better
rider could find the limits of this bike, but they're nowhere in sight
to me yet. Cornering as hard as I can, as fast as I can, there's no
hesitation, no skittering, no looking over its shoulder as if to ask,
"is that really what you want to do?" It just does what I tell it in
such a solid, confidence inspiring way, it has made me a believer that
a good frame is worth paying for. I come out of s-turns and j-turns and
switchbacks with a big ole grin.

Handling. It's a bit clunky compared to the bikes I've come from. I
can't quite get the knack of whipping the rear wheel around switchbacks
like I could on the lighter, rigid bikes, and I'm like a brand new
beginner learning how to bunny hop on this boing-boing. Did a little
better tonight, when all cylinders were hitting pretty well. However,
the fact that the terrain DOES NOT intimidate this bike in the
slightest, that makes up for the lightning-bug quick handling I'm used
to. The balance is immaculate, and track-stands are easier, but I'm
still learning this. The heavier, cushier handling will likely grow
on me. An acceptable trade-off, I would bet.

Descending. This bike really shines when you point it downhill with
lots of garbage to negotiate. With the rear end linkage set to long
travel, the 4-bar linkage is really plush. I can just point and
shoot, with the slack head angle forgiving the obstacles, and it really
is a joy to rock and roll down fairly steep, relatively technical
stuff. My short Thomson Elite stem keeps my center of gravity back,
where I can easily get my weight back, and still be in good control.
The Fox Talas hasn't bottomed out (yet) on its long-travel setting, and
I've dropped this bike about 4 feet, rock to rock, and it's PLUSH. I'm
170lbs, so this seems pretty good. Catching air is getting easier and
definitely fun, if I load the suspension and launch appropriately.
Still learning how to do this, and looking forward to more "freeride"
type opportunities.

Overall. This will be a good all-mountain, all-day epic bike that I
know will grow with me. Can't wait to haul it up to Sun Valley or
McCall next summer. Jim and Carla, Geedub [hint,hint]. I might not
ever find the limits to the Rev. Father, it's just that good. 30lbs
is not too heavy, when it comes with this much quality and confidence
inspiring construction and geometry. I'm still getting used to the
"freeride"-type geometry, the heavier weight, the slower handling,
having come from aggressive xc geometry on my other two regular steel
stable mates.

But who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I have to learn to
shift sooner, as the heavier bike loses momentum quicker than my
lighter steel bikes. I also need to learn how to bunny hop better, and
see if I can get the tail whips and other mediocre tricks down that I
learned over years of trial and error on the xc bikes.

Otherwise, we've got a keeper. That's all.

CDB

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message .

> Overall. This will be a good all-mountain, all-day epic bike that I
> know will grow with me. Can't wait to haul it up to Sun Valley or
> McCall next summer. Jim and Carla, Geedub [hint,hint].

I thought the plans was eastern Oregon or Washington? I'd still be up to
Sun Valley again since the kids keep asking about going back to Redfish
Lake......I hope all my shoulder issues are behind me by then.

I'm going to have to look into a new front fork as my bomber is leaking oil
into the negative chamber....again. I just can't seem to get past the
expense since, at the moment, I'm not working.....

I haven't weighed mine lately but was 26 lbs when new (Velociraptors
front/rear then). Your's is as heavy as my old Trek 970! But then you're
30 lbs lighter'n me.

I'm in shape, it's just round!

Gary

Paladin wrote:
> Well, it's time for a report on my Switchblade, which I've ridden about
> 10 times.

<snip>

Cool. Thanks for the writeup. I may need a new FS in the next year or
two, and something like a Switchblade may be right up my alley.

> But who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I have to learn to
> shift sooner, as the heavier bike loses momentum quicker than my
> lighter steel bikes. I also need to learn how to bunny hop better, and
> see if I can get the tail whips and other mediocre tricks down that I
> learned over years of trial and error on the xc bikes.

But doesn't more mass equal more momentum given the same rate of speed?
I bet the squishy suspension is what saps it, not the weight. But I do
know what you mean. My SS seems to coast much farther up the other side
of a gully than my Epic, as long as I'm not bouncing off to many obstacles.

> Otherwise, we've got a keeper. That's all.
>
> CDB

Cool.

Matt

Mt. Rainier area in WA would be awesome, as would Bend, OR, or North
Cascades as Gab suggested, ie, around Twisp, Winthrop, etc. Be a
slight break for Penny not to have to drive so far. We need to start
putting a consensus together. I could do either, and will go to SV &
McCall anyway, since they're both so close. Also, I'll be in NE Wash
sometime this summer, and maybe we could congregate around Pennyville
for a couple days' riding.

CDB

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mt. Rainier area in WA would be awesome, as would Bend, OR, or North
> Cascades as Gab suggested, ie, around Twisp, Winthrop, etc. Be a
> slight break for Penny not to have to drive so far. We need to start
> putting a consensus together. I could do either, and will go to SV &
> McCall anyway, since they're both so close. Also, I'll be in NE Wash
> sometime this summer, and maybe we could congregate around Pennyville
> for a couple days' riding.
>
> CDB

I can't wait but then coordinating vacation is going to be fun this
year......it all sounds good seeing as Arizona will probably be on fire most
of the year.......if there's anything left to burn!

Gary

Paladin wrote:
> Mt. Rainier area in WA would be awesome, as would Bend, OR, or North
> Cascades as Gab suggested, ie, around Twisp, Winthrop, etc. Be a
> slight break for Penny not to have to drive so far. We need to start
> putting a consensus together. I could do either, and will go to SV &
> McCall anyway, since they're both so close. Also, I'll be in NE Wash
> sometime this summer, and maybe we could congregate around Pennyville
> for a couple days' riding.
>
> CDB

and Gab.
SV, jeez, that was 9 hours for both of us. I've had a request for Sandpoint,
but I need to check with my club connections up there for potential rides.
Also, the CDA river has some cool stuff, but I' don't know if it
"qualifies". Priest Lake would be cool, but the campgrounds there are
already full. (!!)Gah, I'm having a hard time thinking about this....

Spokane area, or Farragut SP area, or Mt. Rainier/St. Helens areas, I
can probably swing this summer. Inlaws are just east of Yakima. My
parents moved to Post Falls, next door to you, and we're due for a
good visit this summer.

CDB

"small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Paladin wrote:
>> Spokane area, or Farragut SP area, or Mt. Rainier/St. Helens areas, I
>> can probably swing this summer. Inlaws are just east of Yakima. My
>> parents moved to Post Falls, next door to you, and we're due for a
>> good visit this summer.
>>
>> CDB

> well, why didn't you say so??!!!

he just did! Amy's already squawking about the drive......oops.

Gary (may be coming solo this year if I can get kitchen clearance)

Paladin wrote:
> Mt. Rainier area in WA would be awesome, as would Bend, OR, or North
> Cascades as Gab suggested, ie, around Twisp, Winthrop, etc. Be a
> slight break for Penny not to have to drive so far. We need to start
> putting a consensus together. I could do either, and will go to SV &
> McCall anyway, since they're both so close. Also, I'll be in NE Wash
> sometime this summer, and maybe we could congregate around Pennyville
> for a couple days' riding.
>
> CDB

There's an MTB weekend in OR August 16. I'm all signed up and got my
freebie plane tickets to Eugene!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Paladin wrote:
> Are you doing MRT??
>
> Inquiring minds want to know..
>
> CDB

I think he's doing that Mountain Bike Oregon thing.

Paladin wrote:
> Are you doing MRT??
>
> Inquiring minds want to know..
>
> CDB

Yes, the day before the event starts.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Paladin wrote:
>> Are you doing MRT??
>>
>> Inquiring minds want to know..
>>
>> CDB
>>

> Yes, the day before the event starts.

take bandaids for the Clear Lake section.

small change wrote:
> Paladin wrote:
>> Are you doing MRT??
>>
>> Inquiring minds want to know..
>>
>> CDB

> I think he's doing that Mountain Bike Oregon thing.

:)

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Boy, those guys promoting it took a merciless beating on our Idaho
board. I'm not sure why, it looked like a pretty decent event. I'd
probably like to go. Will keep it in mind.

CDB

Most probably the heavier wheels make more of a difference than the
overall weight of the bike. I have two sets of wheels for my Turner and
although overall it makes a difference of about 2 lbs it is very
noticable.
Steve.

spademan o---[) * wrote:
> Most probably the heavier wheels make more of a difference than the
> overall weight of the bike. I have two sets of wheels for my Turner and
> although overall it makes a difference of about 2 lbs it is very
> noticable.
> Steve.

But the same principles of momentum would still apply. Even more so with
wheels because not only do you have directional inertia, but rotational
too. That's why heavier stuff is harder to get moving, stop moving, or
change direction.

Matt

Alright you engineers, let's get this figgered out. I just thought
that a lighter bike coasts further uphill if its going the same speed
as a heavier one, ie, pull of gravity slows the heavier one down
quicker, cancelling the inertia effect. Downhill, the heavier bikes
really get hauling, taking on a life of their own, passing up the
skinny peacock bikes.

Where's my sliderule??

CDB

Paladin wrote:
> Alright you engineers, let's get this figgered out. I just thought
> that a lighter bike coasts further uphill if its going the same speed
> as a heavier one, ie, pull of gravity slows the heavier one down
> quicker, cancelling the inertia effect. Downhill, the heavier bikes
> really get hauling, taking on a life of their own, passing up the
> skinny peacock bikes.
>
> Where's my sliderule??
>
> CDB

So take this with a grain of salt. I'm not a pro physicist (although
Corvus is!) and my physics may be rusty or wrong, but here's how I
believe it to work:

Acceleration from gravity is a constant ((9.8m/Sec)^2), regardless of
mass (remember the story of Galileo dropping different sized rocks from
the leaning tower of Piza?) . Momentum (p = mv) is dependent on the mass
of the object (mass * velocity).

What's it all mean? A lighter bike will not _coast_ farther uphill,
given other factors (friction, suspension movement) are the same. But it
will be easier to pedal up the hill because you have less mass to move.

A heavier bike will carry more momentum, and therefore will _coast_
farther up the hill. But once the coasting is done and you have to
pedal, then it will be harder due to it's greater mass.

What this simplistic view does not take into account are all the other
factors involved, which may override what I've just explained. Like the
heavier bike going faster down hill. It will generate more momentum due
to it's greater mass. This means it will be affected less by opposing
forces like resistance from a bump in the trail. The bigger bike will
typically have more/better suspension, which will also contribute to it
being affected less by opposing forces (bumps, wind, etc). So really the
heavier bike may not coast as far up hill as the lighter one, but it's
not because of gravity, it's other forces at work.

So really this would be better illustrated with the same bike carrying
more weight in one case. That should even out the other factors.

But anyway, I could help but point that out. It's in my nature. And I
haven't ridden my mountain bike in months.

Matt

MattB <[email protected]> wrote:

>spademan o---[) * wrote:
>> Most probably the heavier wheels make more of a difference than the
>> overall weight of the bike. I have two sets of wheels for my Turner and
>> although overall it makes a difference of about 2 lbs it is very
>> noticable.
>> Steve.

>But the same principles of momentum would still apply. Even more so with
>wheels because not only do you have directional inertia, but rotational
>too. That's why heavier stuff is harder to get moving, stop moving, or
>change direction.

This is true, but the difference is very minute (since the weight at
the rim-outward part of the wheel is only a few % of the total vehicle
plus rider weight). It IS true that you can feel the difference of
lighter wheels more than a lighter bike though, though as you mention
above, that doesn't mean that you're going faster - just that the bike
will tend to slow down more, and accelerate more with each power
stroke. Net/net - no real difference in velocity.

OTOH, if that light rim or svelte tire fails during a ride, you slow
down a LOT.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com