UK and Europe · Public discussion

Brake blocks

Started by Doki · · Last activity · 24 posts · 961 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
3 December 2007
Last activity
7 December 2007
Original author
Doki
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
961
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–24 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>, spokes
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    That reminds me. I must check my rim wall thickness soon before I have
    another explosion.

    When pretty much all the black's worn off your black mavic rims, does that
    mean it's time to start thinking about new rims?


    No. You can usually tell by touch if a rim is well worn, as the braking
    surface will feel noticeably concave. When it's near failure you'll
    often find that the flange starts to flare - it's a bad idea to use a
    rim in this state, as simply inflating the tyre to maximum pressure will
    often split the rim. I've seen it suggested that if you think a rim is
    near the end of its life you can overinflate the tyre by 50% to see if
    this causes failure. If you do this you should wear eye (and preferably
    ear) protection, and leave the wheel somewhere safe for a while - if it
    doesn't explode, don't do anything with it until you've reduced the
    pressure again.

  2. you can overinflate the tyre by 50% to see if

    Quoted message said:

    this causes failure. If you do this you should wear eye (and preferably
    ear) protection, and leave the wheel somewhere safe for a while - if it
    doesn't explode, don't do anything with it until you've reduced the
    pressure again.

    Thanks - noted. You remind me of when I got my track pump and decided to do
    'er indores a favour by firming up the tyres on her old Raleigh sit up &
    beg...I was back working on the PC upstairs when I heard a distant but
    distinct 'bang'. Uh-oh, I thought. Which proved entirely justified...

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, spokes
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    you can overinflate the tyre by 50% to see if

    Quoted message said:

    this causes failure. If you do this you should wear eye (and preferably
    ear) protection, and leave the wheel somewhere safe for a while - if it
    doesn't explode, don't do anything with it until you've reduced the
    pressure again.

    Thanks - noted. You remind me of when I got my track pump and decided to do
    'er indores a favour by firming up the tyres on her old Raleigh sit up &
    beg...I was back working on the PC upstairs when I heard a distant but
    distinct 'bang'. Uh-oh, I thought. Which proved entirely justified...


    You have to be careful with pressure on older rims that don't have a
    hooked bead to retain the tyre - they are less tolerant of
    overinflation.

  4. Andreas Schulze-Bäing said:
    Quoted message said:

    Do the Kool Stop pads fit Aztec v-brake holders?

    Yes they do, I use this combination - they all seem to be compatible to the
    Shimano system (XT?).

    Very timely. My back brake started making a scraping noise this
    morning and I discovered the pads were completely worn away. I'm
    thought it's not that long since I checked them, but I guess with it
    being dark all the time I hadn't looked for a while. Rode using front
    brake only and will need to make a distress purchase today for
    immediate fitting.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.