Brake Mounting Bolt binding on headset cup on straight blade fork?

Pat Budd

Guest
I recently installed an Ultegra brake on a Whitener frame with a straight bladed fork. Because of
the angle the fork takes as it exits the head tube, the front of the brake mounting bolt assembly
rubs on the bottom cup of the headset. Is there a special mounting bolt assembly for straight bladed
forks or is there a home remedy such as filing the top of the mounting bolt assembly to clear the
headset cup? Thanks for any help/advice. Please email [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, Pat Budd <[email protected]> wrote:
>I recently installed an Ultegra brake on a Whitener frame with a straight bladed fork. Because of
>the angle the fork takes as it exits the head tube, the front of the brake mounting bolt assembly
>rubs on the bottom cup of the headset. Is there a special mounting bolt assembly for straight
>bladed forks or is there a home remedy such as filing the top of the mounting bolt assembly to
>clear the headset cup?

I think the last time this happened to me (perhaps the only time) I switched to a different headset
which was a bit slimmer.

You can also try adding spacers between caliper and fork crown to get a little relief. Bear in mind
how much threading you have engaged between the mounting bolt and the recessed nut - be
conservative.

BTW, I would file the headset before I filed the brake, but exhaust other options first.

--Paul

[email protected] (Pat Budd) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I recently installed an Ultegra brake on a Whitener frame with a straight bladed fork. Because of
> the angle the fork takes as it exits the head tube, the front of the brake mounting bolt assembly
> rubs on the bottom cup of the headset. Is there a special mounting bolt assembly for straight
> bladed forks or is there a home remedy such as filing the top of the mounting bolt assembly to
> clear the headset cup? Thanks for any help/advice. Please email [email protected]

Ending up filing down a spacer and the front edge of the mounting bolt flange. Seems to work fine.

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 06:12:37 +0000, Pat Budd wrote:

> I recently installed an Ultegra brake on a Whitener frame with a straight bladed fork. Because of
> the angle the fork takes as it exits the head tube, the front of the brake mounting bolt assembly
> rubs on the bottom cup of the headset. Is there a special mounting bolt assembly for straight
> bladed forks or is there a home remedy such as filing the top of the mounting bolt assembly to
> clear the headset cup? Thanks for any help/advice. Please email [email protected]

This has been a problem for years, depending on the fork and brake. I would file down the mounting
bolt assembly. Someone else suggested filing down the headset, but that would be bad. If it is just
the bottom cone of the headset, well, it could be done, but you have to knock it off the fork, then
when replacing it you have to be sure to line it up so the filed part is front. If the cup is also
hitting the brake, do not file that. It would at the least compromise the seal. Besides, you'd have
to file it around in an arc to account for turning the fork.

Note: The cup is the part attached to the frame, the cone is attached to the fork crown.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve _`\(,_ | death. And some that die
deserve life. Can you give it to (_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in
judgement. -- J. R. R. Tolkein