brake pads when switching carbon/aluminum wheels

Dietmar

Jun 9, 2006
I am considering getting a second set of wheels. The wheels I have now are aluminum, the second set would be carbon. So, if I plan to switch between these two sets, can I use carbon pads on both? Or do I have to switch the pads with the wheels=minor but annoying hassle?

Dietmar said:
I am considering getting a second set of wheels. The wheels I have now are aluminum, the second set would be carbon. So, if I plan to switch between these two sets, can I use carbon pads on both? Or do I have to switch the pads with the wheels=minor but annoying hassle?

There's no conclusive data on what any aluminum embedded in a brake pad will or won't do to a CF brake track; however, given the expense--relative to aluminum wheels--switching pads seems a small price to pay to possibly extend the life of CF rims.

Also CF pads tend to not brake as well on alloy rims (the converse is also true), and I like having optimum conditions for braking, what with that whole survival instinct and all.

Thanks for the input! I did a bit more research, and found this blurb: "The icing on the cake is that not only is the performance improved but the Swiss Stop Yellow King pad compound allows for easy swapping between your aluminum and carbon wheels without the need to file off a layer of brake surface – as is normally required to clean the pads. How is this possible? Simply, the Yellow King does not collect aluminum and only requires a quick wipe with a rag when changing between aluminum and carbon brake surfaces." Do you think that assessment can be trusted? Because, you're absolutely right, those carbon rims ain't cheap... ;)

Dietmar said:

I have seen carbon rims killed by the aluminum shards in brake pads. Yes, you can use 'carbon' pads on aluminum rims but be aware of the above. One thing for sure, all carbon rims are expensive. A spare set of brake blocks/holders are cheap. Just swap them out.