Or be like the Beeeaaauuutttiifffuullll On-One ilPompino singlespeed i saw last night whilst catching the tram home
(no ride yesterday -boo-hoo).
"Awesome ride, man"
should have seen the grin on his face...
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
Or be like the Beeeaaauuutttiifffuullll On-One ilPompino singlespeed i saw last night whilst catching the tram home
(no ride yesterday -boo-hoo).
"Awesome ride, man"
should have seen the grin on his face...
"flyingdutch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Or be like the Beeeaaauuutttiifffuullll On-One ilPompino singlespeed i saw last night whilst
catching the tram home (no ride yesterday -boo-hoo)."Awesome ride, man"
should have seen the grin on his face...
Did he/it look like this? thehippy.net165 6532.htmlOpen ↗
thehippy.net165 6533.htmlOpen ↗
thehippy.net165 6535.htmlOpen ↗
thehippy.net165 6536.htmlOpen ↗
thehippy.net115 1509.htmlOpen ↗
hippy
[QUOTE
Did he/it look like this? thehippy.net165 6532.htmlOpen ↗
thehippy.net165 6533.htmlOpen ↗
thehippy.net165 6535.htmlOpen ↗
thehippy.net165 6536.htmlOpen ↗
thehippy.net115 1509.htmlOpen ↗
hippy [/B][/QUOTE]
Nah, bit younger. much fitter with 23c tyres
not like his cyclocross-style setup
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:59:21 +0000 (UTC), [email hidden]
(NickZX6R) said:I found quite a difference when I changed from single-pivot to dual-pivot calipers. Maybe it's just
a case of keeping them maintained and adjusted properly?
Dual pivot calipers? Is that like cantiliver, or V-brakes?
---
Cheers
PeterC
[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:48:37 GMT, "Rocket Man" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:Oh Peter,
Don't bother about buying and using expensive brakes.
Just take them off.
There....... see. No more worries about brakes slowing you down or silly discussions about which
type is best.There problem solved. Enjoy your free wheel riding.
But but but - I LIKE stopping - especially at the end of a long downhill straight that terminates at
a busy T-intersection.
---
Cheers
PeterC
[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]
"Peter Cremasco" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:I found quite a difference when I changed from single-pivot to dual-pivot calipers. Maybe it's
just a case of keeping them maintained and adjusted properly?Dual pivot calipers? Is that like cantiliver, or V-brakes?
I don't think either, they are a side-pull design, whereas V brakes ARE a form of cantilever::
sheldonbrown.comgloss d.htmlOpen ↗
Dual-pivots are just a design variation from the 'normal' single pivot brakes most people's "10
speeds" have. They are a more powerful design.
hth hippy
Hi Peter:
As far as the mechanics of different brake types go, by now, you have found a wealth in this thread.
However, if you are looking to improve your braking power, you may have different options depending on your bike. Remember that both Cantilever and V's need brased on pivot/installation points on the fork/seat stays. If you have a road style bike, you would most likely miss out on these points. If you have calliper style brakes, the best combination would be a dual-pivot (the modern style) plus after market pads (talking about Shimano pads, of course).
If you have single-pivot, upgrade to Sora or Tiagra callipers. Then replace the pads with Kool Stop pads. I couldn't find them in Canberra, and bought their equivalent Fabrix pads. You will be amazed with the improvement. Cecil Walker sells Tiagra callipers for $88. Fabrix pads should not cost more than $30-40 for two pairs. Actually, why not changing just the pads first and see if that makes enough improvement?
Cheers,
Amir.
Quoted post said:Originally posted by Peter Cremasco
A question concerning brakes - particularly the two most common types: the caliper brakes (anchored
at one point on the fork head) and the linear pull (anchored at two points on the fork leg).
I've ridden both kinds, and find that the linear pull is capable of locking up the wheels with
minimum effort. The caliper brakes need to be squeezed very hard, and don't even appear to come
close to locking up the wheel.
I've mostly seen caliper brakes on roadies (or old style MTB), and the linear pull on MTB or
hybrids. I've heard that the brakes on road bikes are much better, but be buggered if I can see how.
Surely not every roadie I've ridden has been set up wrong, as far as brakes go?
Can someone explain this to me? Is there another type of brake set up that looks like the caliper
and is much much better?
Cheers,
PeterC
---
Cheers
PeterC
[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]
campag brakes are renowned for being better than shimanos
( probably the only true admission of imbalance in the entire campy v ShimaNO debate )
havent tried a wide range of pads so cant comment on that aspect
Quoted post said:Originally posted by flyingdutch
campag brakes are renowned for being better than shimanos
( probably the only true admission of imbalance in the entire campy v ShimaNO debate )
havent tried a wide range of pads so cant comment on that aspect
G'day,
just so that the Campy v shimano debate doesn't ever get resolved (LOL) (I think we've got more chance of the Arabs & the Isreali's sorting out their differences)........The new DA brakes are superior to anything I've ever ridden (roadies)......including the spaghetti sauce mob! LOL......that should get the thread pumpin'!,
cheers,
Hitchy
When I was in the market to get better braking power out of my existing brakes, I heard a similar comment that the only acceptable Shimano pads were DAs (9 speed then). They weren't cheap, so I tried aftermarket. Not having used DA, I cannot comment, but I can swear by the Fabrix. They are smooth, quiet and really effective. Now locking up is as easy as V's! More important is the fact that they won't pick as much grit, so over the past 3000 km on both bikes, the rim surface looks really nice (compared to what Shimano pads did to my other Mavic rims).
Now that we are on this note, all these brakes are nothing compared to hydraulic discs (I know, I know, that's not roadie stuff) 😉
Quoted post said:Originally posted by Hitchy
G'day,
just so that the Campy v shimano debate doesn't ever get resolved (LOL) (I think we've got more chance of the Arabs & the Isreali's sorting out their differences)........The new DA brakes are superior to anything I've ever ridden (roadies)......including the spaghetti sauce mob! LOL......that should get the thread pumpin'!,
cheers,
Hitchy
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:30:15 GMT, amirm <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:As far as the mechanics of different brake types go, by now, you have found a wealth in
this thread.
You're right - I've archived many of the replies. I hesitated to ask the question originally,
because I thought it was probably obvious to anyone
- now I'm very glad I asked.
Thank you all.
---
Cheers
PeterC
[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]
flyingdutch said:Or be like the Beeeaaauuutttiifffuullll On-One ilPompino singlespeed i saw last night whilst
catching the tram home (no ride yesterday -boo-hoo)."Awesome ride, man"
There's a courier that gets around sydney on what looks like a full-disc singlespeed roadie. I've
only ever seen him fly by so never really had time to properly checkout the bike. At first I thought
I was seeing things, but then I saw him again a few weeks later.
-kt
[QUOTEThere's a courier that gets around sydney on what looks like a full-disc singlespeed roadie. I've
only ever seen him fly by so never really had time to properly checkout the bike. At first I thought
I was seeing things, but then I saw him again a few weeks later.
-kt [/B][/QUOTE]
was thinking about discs on raod/tourers last night. Was flicking thru a swiss mag my father-inl-aw had brought back.
The range was absolutely staggering. Buyers guide full of approx 1500 different bikes and that didnt include mtbs :eek:
They were with campag ergos so I assume they were cable-actuated. Hope Minis apaprently (from what my frail german ability could gleen)
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.