Brakes for old style ballon tires with fender

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Alex, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    I just bought an Electra Swing

    http://www.electrabike.com/bikes/classic/c_b_4.html

    and it is beautiful and fun to ride but I dont like having only the coaster brake. I would like to
    add a front brake and the fork is outfitted with a hole to recieve a caliper but I wonder if they
    make Calipers long enough to fit around the fender and the ballon tire. Does someone make/carry
    brakes for the front of this style of bicycle.

    Will this work ??

    Tektro 984 Extra Long Reach Caliper/lever/cable sets $39.95 pair complete, black or silver At

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakes.html#cantiside

    Alex

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just bought an Electra Swing
    >
    > http://www.electrabike.com/bikes/classic/c_b_4.html
    >
    > and it is beautiful and fun to ride but I dont like having only the coaster brake. I would like
    > to add a front brake and the fork is outfitted with a hole to recieve a caliper but I wonder if
    > they make Calipers long enough to fit around the fender and the ballon tire. Does someone
    > make/carry brakes for the front of this style of bicycle.
    >
    > Will this work ??
    >
    > Tektro 984 Extra Long Reach Caliper/lever/cable sets $39.95 pair complete, black or silver At
    >
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakes.html#cantiside

    Probably, but measure from the brake mount to the rim. MX brakes can be 980 or 1000 (there was once
    a "balloon" 1020 beyond those). Note some modern calipers are not as "rounded" for mudguard
    clearance.

    It's standard practice to use a drill press so the brake hole is straight through the crown.

  3. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Do you have a source Muzi. I just measured and I need something at least 90mm for the bike. My
    Diacompe Bulldogs on my other bike are this long near the end of the adjustment but I wonder if they
    will go around the fender and tire. Alex

    On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 23:32:13 -0500, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I just bought an Electra Swing
    >>
    >> http://www.electrabike.com/bikes/classic/c_b_4.html
    >>
    >> and it is beautiful and fun to ride but I dont like having only the coaster brake. I would like
    >> to add a front brake and the fork is outfitted with a hole to recieve a caliper but I wonder if
    >> they make Calipers long enough to fit around the fender and the ballon tire. Does someone
    >> make/carry brakes for the front of this style of bicycle.
    >>
    >> Will this work ??
    >>
    >> Tektro 984 Extra Long Reach Caliper/lever/cable sets $39.95 pair complete, black or silver At
    >>
    >> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakes.html#cantiside
    >
    >Probably, but measure from the brake mount to the rim. MX brakes can be 980 or 1000 (there was once
    >a "balloon" 1020 beyond those). Note some modern calipers are not as "rounded" for mudguard
    >clearance.
    >
    >It's standard practice to use a drill press so the brake hole is straight through the crown.

  4. Pretty! Wouldn't taki it into the hills though.

    But it's nice to look at!

  5. Richard

    Richard Guest

    When I was a kid, a neighbor had a Schwinn Corvette. It was essentially the same bike (but
    prettier!) except for no coaster brake. It had Weinmann side-pulls, pretty much like the other
    contemporary Schwinn 3-speeds. Dia- Compe made a copy, too. Check if any local shops have been
    around for 30 years or so...