Brakes for old style ballon tires with fender

Alex

Guest
I just bought an Electra Swing

http://www.electrabike.com/bikes/classic/c_b_4.html

and it is beautiful and fun to ride but I dont like having only the coaster brake. I would like to
add a front brake and the fork is outfitted with a hole to recieve a caliper but I wonder if they
make Calipers long enough to fit around the fender and the ballon tire. Does someone make/carry
brakes for the front of this style of bicycle.

Will this work ??

Tektro 984 Extra Long Reach Caliper/lever/cable sets $39.95 pair complete, black or silver At

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakes.html#cantiside

Alex

"Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just bought an Electra Swing
>
> http://www.electrabike.com/bikes/classic/c_b_4.html
>
> and it is beautiful and fun to ride but I dont like having only the coaster brake. I would like
> to add a front brake and the fork is outfitted with a hole to recieve a caliper but I wonder if
> they make Calipers long enough to fit around the fender and the ballon tire. Does someone
> make/carry brakes for the front of this style of bicycle.
>
> Will this work ??
>
> Tektro 984 Extra Long Reach Caliper/lever/cable sets $39.95 pair complete, black or silver At
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakes.html#cantiside

Probably, but measure from the brake mount to the rim. MX brakes can be 980 or 1000 (there was once
a "balloon" 1020 beyond those). Note some modern calipers are not as "rounded" for mudguard
clearance.

It's standard practice to use a drill press so the brake hole is straight through the crown.

Do you have a source Muzi. I just measured and I need something at least 90mm for the bike. My
Diacompe Bulldogs on my other bike are this long near the end of the adjustment but I wonder if they
will go around the fender and tire. Alex

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 23:32:13 -0500, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I just bought an Electra Swing
>>
>> http://www.electrabike.com/bikes/classic/c_b_4.html
>>
>> and it is beautiful and fun to ride but I dont like having only the coaster brake. I would like
>> to add a front brake and the fork is outfitted with a hole to recieve a caliper but I wonder if
>> they make Calipers long enough to fit around the fender and the ballon tire. Does someone
>> make/carry brakes for the front of this style of bicycle.
>>
>> Will this work ??
>>
>> Tektro 984 Extra Long Reach Caliper/lever/cable sets $39.95 pair complete, black or silver At
>>
>> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakes.html#cantiside
>
>Probably, but measure from the brake mount to the rim. MX brakes can be 980 or 1000 (there was once
>a "balloon" 1020 beyond those). Note some modern calipers are not as "rounded" for mudguard
>clearance.
>
>It's standard practice to use a drill press so the brake hole is straight through the crown.

Pretty! Wouldn't taki it into the hills though.

But it's nice to look at!

When I was a kid, a neighbor had a Schwinn Corvette. It was essentially the same bike (but
prettier!) except for no coaster brake. It had Weinmann side-pulls, pretty much like the other
contemporary Schwinn 3-speeds. Dia- Compe made a copy, too. Check if any local shops have been
around for 30 years or so...