General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Breathing suggestions...

Started by JJ · · Last activity · 30 posts · 897 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 August 2005
Last activity
26 August 2005
Original author
JJ
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
897
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–30 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "The Bill Rodgers" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    JJ said:

    "Miss Anne Thrope" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Is it mean spirited to suggest that you stop altogether?

    Yes, and not very imaginative either. <plonk> JJ

    MEOOOOOOOOW! (cat fight)

    Naw...just fell to temptation and fed the troll...Please forgive me! JJ

  2. As I knew you would.

  3. "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    You won't get enough air breathing in through your nose unless you're
    running
    very slowly. Try and maintain a 3 steps in 3 steps out breathing rhythm.

    Donovan, this is quite individual. The average 32-38 minute 10k runner I
    know breathes a 4 step rhythm (2in, 2out or 3in 1out) at a mild pace, and
    switches to 3 step at higher speeds.

    If 6 step is typical for you at training pace ~7:30, you may be an
    exception -- only one of my dozen or so training buddies (a 34 min guy) ran
    3 in/3 out at normal speeds.

    David G, if you're listening, how do you breathe at training pace
    (presumably 6-something pace) and when doing a 10k?

    Back to the original poster's message, beginners really don't know how to
    breathe enough, and it's a dead giveaway. If some runner passes me up a
    steep hill and he isn't breathing hard, I know he's a) an elite Kenyan or
    b) way over his head and I'm gonna have some fun.

    Also, I've always belly breathed, it's just the best way to completely fill
    your lungs. Actually, I expand my belly (diaphram) *and* raise my chest,
    filling all lung lobes at the same time. I thought most people figured that
    out after they'd been running awhile.

    I stopped getting stitches when I got more comfortable belly-breathing,
    after I'd been running 6 months or so.

    -- Dan

  4. Dan Stumpus said:


    "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    You won't get enough air breathing in through your nose unless you're
    running
    very slowly. Try and maintain a 3 steps in 3 steps out breathing rhythm.

    Donovan, this is quite individual.

    Yes, I understand that. My point is that he should be able to maintain 3/3.
    If he needs more than that, he's going too fast.

    Quoted message said:

    The average 32-38 minute 10k runner I
    know breathes a 4 step rhythm (2in, 2out or 3in 1out) at a mild pace, and

    Fine, but I bet the same runner would be capable of dropping to 3/3.

    Quoted message said:

    switches to 3 step at higher speeds.

    If 6 step is typical for you at training pace ~7:30, you may be an
    exception --

    How slow would they have to be going to drop below a 2/2 ? My guess is
    that they'd stick with a 2/2 even if they were jogging at 12 minutes
    per mile (see below).

    Quoted message said:

    only one of my dozen or so training buddies (a 34 min guy) ran
    3 in/3 out at normal speeds.

    I think a lot of people may find 2/2 more natural. I don't think they're doing
    that because they are unable to hold a 3/3 rhythm at training pace. I also
    don't think it hurts to get familiar with a 3/3 rhythm.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, I've always belly breathed, it's just the best way to completely fill

    I got a good lesson in belly breathing when I broke a rib. Heaving your
    chest is just uncomofortable under those circumstances.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  5. "Dan Stumpus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    David G, if you're listening, how do you breathe at training pace
    (presumably 6-something pace) and when doing a 10k?

    I haven't ever been too cognizant of my breathing rhythms, except that
    sometimes when I'm running alone I hear my breathing fall in pattern with my
    stride. And now that I'm out of shape it's much louder. I mostly focus on
    good posture and relaxing as much as possible.

    Dave

  6. "Miss Anne Thrope" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    As I knew you would.

    Yup...you got me...

  7. test

  8. Quoted message said:

    test

    Failed

    TBR

    "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and
    more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day
    the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the
    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  9. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    test

    you're transmission has been received. i assume this is the most intelligent
    post you'll make you moron. these 'test' posts demonstrate sociopathic
    behavior. do you have something to say? if you do; then say it. if you
    don't then why are you testing? if the answer is "to demonstrate how stupid
    i am" then you have succeeded. welcome to wreck.jogging.

    Quoted message said:
  10. THE VICAR said:

    you're transmission has been received.

    No it hasn't, it never made it through.

    TBR

    "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and
    more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day
    the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the
    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.