British Eurosport Does it Again

Graham

Guest
Well done again to "British Footballsport" ! They interrupt the World Championships for football,
bad enough you might think, but for god's sake women's football. I'll be looking for a new satellite
dish and box now to get proper cycling coverage.

Graham

"Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Well done again to "British Footballsport" ! They interrupt the World Championships for football,
> bad enough you might think, but for god's sake women's football. I'll be looking for a new
> satellite dish and box now to get proper cycling coverage.
RAI switched between 3 & 2 all day - and for a while someone scrambled it on two. But the coverage
of most of the race was great, and it was a great race too! Millar very active and impressive. All
the best Dan Gregory

Originally posted by Graham
Well done again to "British Footballsport" ! They interrupt the World Championships for football,
bad enough you might think, but for god's sake women's football. I'll be looking for a new satellite
dish and box now to get proper cycling coverage.

Graham

Which of the 2 do you think would generate more viewers for Eurosport......?

"Dan Gregory" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Well done again to "British Footballsport" ! They interrupt the World Championships for
> > football, bad enough you might think, but for god's
sake
> > women's football. I'll be looking for a new satellite dish and box now
> > get proper cycling coverage.
> RAI switched between 3 & 2 all day - and for a while someone scrambled it
on
> two. But the coverage of most of the race was great, and it was a great
race
> too! Millar very active and impressive. All the best Dan Gregory

The Europeans do get a lot better coverage than us that's for sure !

Graham

Graham wrote:
> Well done again to "British Footballsport" ! They interrupt the World Championships for football,
> bad enough you might think, but for god's sake women's football. I'll be looking for a new
> satellite dish and box now to get proper cycling coverage.
>
> Graham

I dont have a problem with this. They stated when they would show the worlds and showed it at that
time, & it was the womens football world cup final. I'm more dissapointed that they didnt chase
down Astarola.

Stan Cox

--
Brighton Excelsior CC Member Cat 3 Fat Bloke Brighton, UK

Richie1964 wrote:

> Which of the 2 do you think would generate more viewers for Eurosport......?

I turned off when the Womens World Cup Final was on, did what Duffers suggested, had my tea/dinner !

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.

"Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Graham wrote:
> > Well done again to "British Footballsport" ! They interrupt the World Championships for
> > football, bad enough you might think, but for god's
sake
> > women's football. I'll be looking for a new satellite dish and box now
> > get proper cycling coverage.
> >
> > Graham
> >

> I dont have a problem with this. They stated when they would show the worlds and showed it at that
> time, & it was the womens football world cup final. I'm more dissapointed that they didnt chase
> down Astarola.
>
> Stan Cox

Well I do have a problem with it ! We get enough of male football without being subjected to the
female version.

Graham

> --
> Brighton Excelsior CC Member Cat 3 Fat Bloke Brighton, UK

"Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Well I do have a problem with it ! We get enough of male football without being subjected to the
> female version.

Women's Football is a very fast growing sport. (For example, it is the fastest growing team sport in
the UK). The match shown was the World Cup Final. Eurosport announced their intentions well in
advance. If you were so minded you should have gone & got your dish before as they clearly indicated
their intentions.

Sorry, but cycling is a minority interest sport. Eurosport do a pretty fair job in covering it --
maybe not as much as you would like but in comparison with most other European broadcasters they
show a lot of cycling and do appear to be committed to continuing to show cycling.

To dismiss a sport because it is the women's version is simple prejudice. Are you suggesting that
they shouldn't show Nicole Cooke because they could be showing men's tiddlywinks? OK, women's
football is not yet at the skill levels of the men's game but in other sports the women's game is as
good if not better -- women's tennis, for example, is much more skill and guile than the men's
version which now largely seems to involve smashing the ball so hard and fast that the camera cannot
resolve it and the receiver (and anyone behind the base line)just hopes and prays it will miss him.

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Well I do have a problem with it ! We get enough of male football
without
> > being subjected to the female version.
>
> Women's Football is a very fast growing sport. (For example, it is the fastest growing team sport
> in the UK). The match shown was the World Cup Final. Eurosport announced their intentions well in
> advance. If you were so minded you should have gone & got your dish before as they clearly
> indicated their intentions.
>
> Sorry, but cycling is a minority interest sport. Eurosport do a pretty
fair
> job in covering it -- maybe not as much as you would like but in
comparison
> with most other European broadcasters they show a lot of cycling and do appear to be committed to
> continuing to show cycling.
>
> To dismiss a sport because it is the women's version is simple prejudice.

It's simply correct, that's what it is. Womens sport is inferior to mens.

Graham

> Are you suggesting that they shouldn't show Nicole Cooke because they
could
> be showing men's tiddlywinks? OK, women's football is not yet at the
skill
> levels of the men's game but in other sports the women's game is as good
if
> not better -- women's tennis, for example, is much more skill and guile
than
> the men's version which now largely seems to involve smashing the ball so hard and fast that the
> camera cannot resolve it and the receiver (and
anyone
> behind the base line)just hopes and prays it will miss him.

"Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > To dismiss a sport because it is the women's version is simple
prejudice.

> It's simply correct, that's what it is. Womens sport is inferior to mens.

Bollox[tm] -- if that is not an inappropriate epithet in this case.

I think you might prefer uk.rec.misogyny

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:02:30 +0000 (UTC), Graham wrote:
> Womens sport is inferior to mens.

Not at all. Can you say beachvolleyball?

Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> writes:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:02:30 +0000 (UTC), Graham wrote:
> > Womens sport is inferior to mens.
>
> Not at all. Can you say beachvolleyball?

Sometimes I feel really, really embarassed to be male.

Do either of you actually think either of those comments was
(i) true, (ii) funny, or (iii) clever?

Due to financial constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

> Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:02:30 +0000 (UTC), Graham wrote:
> > > Womens sport is inferior to mens.
> >
> > Not at all. Can you say beachvolleyball?
>
> Sometimes I feel really, really embarassed to be male.
>
> Do either of you actually think either of those comments was
> (i) true, (ii) funny, or (iii) clever?

I think mine was true but not that funny ! If you really are embarassed to

the NHS as well ! Any body that is embarassed to be who they are deserves to be !

Graham

> --
> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>
> Due to financial constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

> I think mine was true but not that funny !

Providing a 'handicap' to help those less able is common in sport. Flyweight boxers/judoers/etc. and
not expected to go up against a heavyweight.

Women's sport is competitive and valuable in its own right. Often skill & guile play a greater part
as brute strength is not so readily available.

Yours was, therefore, neither true nor funny.

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:20:23 +0000 (UTC), Graham <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> writes:

>> > Not at all. Can you say beachvolleyball?
>>
>> Sometimes I feel really, really embarassed to be male.
>>
>> Do either of you actually think either of those comments was
>> (i) true, (ii) funny, or (iii) clever?
>
> I think mine was true but not that funny !

I would suggest that your comment was both untrue and laughable; sad, but laughable.

> If you really are embarassed to be male then you can join the growing

> embarassed to be who they are deserves to be !

Deserves to be what.

I take it you can out-run Paula Radcliffe, out-cycle Nicole Cooke and get up and down a hill as fast
as Angel Mudge? No? Well, all three can beat a hell of a lot of men in their sport and I'm happy
watching them perform superiorly (is that a word) than many men perform dismally.

Colin

Tony W wrote:

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Sometimes I feel really, really embarassed to be male.
>
> When you find yourself in the lady's loo?

Once when staying at Burley Youth Hostel in the New Forest I woke up to a squaaky voice.. "Hey,
there's men in here". I hadn't noticed the pink and blue doors when selecting my bed.

Then there was the time when browsing in a French cycle shop when I was asked if 'mademoiselle'
needed any help - due to my shoulder length hair [1} It was followed by much apologising .

[1] in those days of Cream, Led Zeppelin and Uriah Heap Now I have trouble finding much on top
at all :-(

John B

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > I think mine was true but not that funny !
>
> Providing a 'handicap' to help those less able is common in sport. Flyweight boxers/judoers/etc.
> and not expected to go up against a heavyweight.
>
> Women's sport is competitive and valuable in its own right. Often skill & guile play a greater
> part as brute strength is not so readily available.

Why do we have feminists when you and Colin Blackburn are around ?

Graham

> Yours was, therefore, neither true nor funny.

news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:20:23 +0000 (UTC), Graham <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> Sometimes I feel really, really embarassed to be male.
> >>
> >> Do either of you actually think either of those comments was
> >> (i) true, (ii) funny, or (iii) clever?
> >
> > I think mine was true but not that funny !
>
> I would suggest that your comment was both untrue and laughable; sad, but laughable.
>
> > If you really are embarassed to be male then you can join the growing

> > embarassed to be who they are deserves to be !
>
> Deserves to be what.
>
> I take it you can out-run Paula Radcliffe, out-cycle Nicole Cooke and get up and down a hill as
> fast as Angel Mudge? No? Well, all three can beat a hell of a lot of men in their sport and I'm
> happy watching them perform superiorly (is that a word) than many men perform dismally.
>
> Colin

Have you never heard of womens sport ? Do you really think I was comparing me to them ? Compare like
to like and then give me your answer. If you can drag yourself away from the sink !

Graham

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:07:24 +0000 (UTC), Graham <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> > I think mine was true but not that funny !
>>
>> Providing a 'handicap' to help those less able is common in sport. Flyweight boxers/judoers/etc.
>> and not expected to go up against a heavyweight.
>>
>> Women's sport is competitive and valuable in its own right. Often skill & guile play a greater
>> part as brute strength is not so readily available.
>
> Why do we have feminists when you and Colin Blackburn are around ?

So, as well as thinking all women's sport is **** you also think all feminists are women? It must be
interesting in the games room of the local WMC.

Colin