Broken Bones....

Charles B. Summers

Guest
Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
worst?

I broke my first bone last night on a jump. Stupid mistake, but my
handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two places.
All I can say was, it hurt!

Charles B. Summers wrote:
>I broke my first bone last night on a jump. ... Broke my pelvis in two places.

Pelvis? That's not just a broken bone, that's like a broken, I don't
know, but OW!

Wishing you quick healing.

gabrielle (didn't I just say it's been a weird week?)

Charles B. Summers wrote:

> Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
> worst?
>
> I broke my first bone last night on a jump. Stupid mistake, but my
> handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
> slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two places.
> All I can say was, it hurt!

Fortunately, I haven't broke anything, but I'm still working on it.
Bruised a rib and a near broken neck.

Broken pelvis sounds pretty nasty. Hope you recover well and quickly.
--
Slack

Charles B. Summers wrote:
> Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
> worst?
>
> I broke my first bone last night on a jump. Stupid mistake, but my
> handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
> slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two places.
> All I can say was, it hurt!

I've been riding for about 35 years now, and have never broken a bone.
My riding hasn't been gnarly by today's standards, not even close, but I
tried my share of technical stuff in my younger days, and logged a
couple years as an active road racer.

Conservative dictionary:
Judicial Activist: n. A judge who tends to rule against your wishes.

"Slack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Charles B. Summers wrote:
>
>> Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was
>> the
>> worst?
>>
>> I broke my first bone last night on a jump. Stupid mistake, but my
>> handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me
>> slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two
>> places.
>> All I can say was, it hurt!

Broke my nose - twice, don't ask. All I'll say is it was the same stoopid
stunt both times. Needless to say I don't try that anymore.

Hope you recover quickly.

Andy H

Charles B. Summers wrote:
> Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
> worst?
>
> I broke my first bone last night on a jump. Stupid mistake, but my
> handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
> slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two places.
> All I can say was, it hurt!

Sucks. Heal fast!

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."
Edward R. Murrow

"Charles B. Summers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was

the
> worst?
>
> I broke my first bone last night on a jump. Stupid mistake, but my
> handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
> slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two

places.
> All I can say was, it hurt!

Broken several ribs, chipped bone in my shin, broken wrist, I might have had
a slight break in my collarbone (but I never went to the hospital for
it)...now stitches...I've had many, many of those in various locations of my
body...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Charles B. Summers wrote:
> Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
> worst?
>
> I broke my first bone last night on a jump. Stupid mistake, but my
> handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
> slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two places.
> All I can say was, it hurt!

A toe and a finger. Would've rather broken bones when I tore a bunch of
ligaments in my shoulder. Bones would be healed and forgotten. the
shoulder still bothers me some 12 years later.
My wife's broken her clavicle and her skull (one nasty crash in the days
before helmets). She's a very smart women (an MD). I figure she'd have
a Nobel Prize by now, and might not have married me, if it weren't for
that crash. ;-)

Shawn

"Shawn" <sdotcurry@bresnananotherdotnet> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> My wife's broken her clavicle and her skull (one nasty crash in the days
> before helmets). She's a very smart women (an MD). I figure she'd have
> a Nobel Prize by now, and might not have married me, if it weren't for
> that crash. ;-)
>
> Shawn

Now that's a nasty one! Makes me hurt just thinking about it. When I was in
the fourth grade, I landed head first on the street with the results being
60 stitches in my forehead, but didn't break anything, thankfully. I imagine
your wife probably had more!

* Charles B. Summers <[email protected]>:
> Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
> worst?
>
> I broke my first bone last night on a jump. Stupid mistake, but my
> handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
> slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two places.
> All I can say was, it hurt!

Not a one so far but thats more to dumb luck then riding skill on my
part. :)

Jason

Charles B. Summers wrote:
> Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
> worst?
>
> I broke my first bone last night on a jump. Stupid mistake, but my
> handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
> slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two places.
> All I can say was, it hurt!

That's quite a way to start! I've maybe cracked some ribs biking (or
bruised them really badly - it's a fine line) but never a true, clear
break (knock on wood). I have messed up my shoulder via a combination of
skiing and biking, but it wasn't a broken bone.
I've broken bones skiing, falling from a tree, and crashing a
three-wheeler, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

All the best for your healing process. Hope it goes as well as it can.

Matt

MattB wrote:
> ... so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Never pass up an opportunity to throw in a Caddyshack line, I always
say.

E.P.

"Cinderella story..."

[email protected] wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>>... so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

> Never pass up an opportunity to throw in a Caddyshack line, I always
> say.
>
> E.P.
>
> "Cinderella story..."

Cannonball!

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:19:45 -0500, Charles B. Summers wrote:
> Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
> worst?

In 10 years of MTBing, I've never broken anything. Part of it is careful
riding, part of it is living in a place that doesn't have a lot of exposed
rock.

> handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
> slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two places.
> All I can say was, it hurt!

Ouch!

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address

Broken colarbone twice once back in 78 and just two
years ago. Broke both legs and an ankle in 76 and they had to be pinned.
Broke my skull in 62. Broke my foot in 78. Broke my hand in 79. Broke my
wrist in 71. Broke my finger in 62. Broke three toes in 96,get this
knicking a rat in half like an open double barrel shot gun. Broke a knee
in 67. Thats broken bones.

Charles B. Summers wrote:
> Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
> worst?

Separated my shoulder/AC joint, third degree. Still think I might have
surgery one day when I can afford to take time off work for the six week
recovery.
Lots of bruising and sprains and the odd couple of days off to recover
from aforementioned brusing and sprains.
Chipped teeth and concussion as a young chap.
Plenty of stitches in various parts of the anatomy at different times.
Gouges and gravel rash in my knees mostly.

> I broke my first bone last night on a jump.

I've never been a big one for jumps. Small drops of a few feet I can
handle easily enough, but the potential for pain always put me off jumps.

>Stupid mistake, but my
> handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
> slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two places.
> All I can say was, it hurt!

Ouch! Broken pelvis! NOT a nice bone to break. I've known people that
have done that and it's not pretty. Still, on the brightside, it will
probably heal up just fine and you won't be permanently damaged. Gosh,
that's reassuring, isn't it? LOL.
Heal fast and well.
--
Westie

BB wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:19:45 -0500, Charles B. Summers wrote:
>
>>Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
>>worst?

> In 10 years of MTBing, I've never broken anything. Part of it is careful
> riding, part of it is living in a place that doesn't have a lot of exposed
> rock.

Trust an expert, even exposed earth and leafy humus can hurt if you hit
it right! :)
--
Westie