Broken Bones....

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Charles B. Summers, Aug 25, 2005.

  1. Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
    worst?

    I broke my first bone last night on a jump. Stupid mistake, but my
    handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
    slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two places.
    All I can say was, it hurt!

    Tags:

  2. gabrielle

    gabrielle Guest

    Charles B. Summers wrote:
    >I broke my first bone last night on a jump. ... Broke my pelvis in two places.

    Pelvis? That's not just a broken bone, that's like a broken, I don't
    know, but OW!

    Wishing you quick healing.

    gabrielle (didn't I just say it's been a weird week?)

  3. Slack

    Slack Guest

    Charles B. Summers wrote:

    > Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
    > worst?
    >
    > I broke my first bone last night on a jump. Stupid mistake, but my
    > handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
    > slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two places.
    > All I can say was, it hurt!

    Fortunately, I haven't broke anything, but I'm still working on it.
    Bruised a rib and a near broken neck.

    Broken pelvis sounds pretty nasty. Hope you recover well and quickly.
    --
    Slack

  4. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Charles B. Summers wrote:
    > Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
    > worst?
    >
    > I broke my first bone last night on a jump. Stupid mistake, but my
    > handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
    > slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two places.
    > All I can say was, it hurt!

    I've been riding for about 35 years now, and have never broken a bone.
    My riding hasn't been gnarly by today's standards, not even close, but I
    tried my share of technical stuff in my younger days, and logged a
    couple years as an active road racer.

    Conservative dictionary:
    Judicial Activist: n. A judge who tends to rule against your wishes.

  5. Andy H

    Andy H Guest

    "Slack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Charles B. Summers wrote:
    >
    >> Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was
    >> the
    >> worst?
    >>
    >> I broke my first bone last night on a jump. Stupid mistake, but my
    >> handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me
    >> slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two
    >> places.
    >> All I can say was, it hurt!

    Broke my nose - twice, don't ask. All I'll say is it was the same stoopid
    stunt both times. Needless to say I don't try that anymore.

    Hope you recover quickly.

    Andy H

  6. Charles B. Summers wrote:
    > Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
    > worst?
    >
    > I broke my first bone last night on a jump. Stupid mistake, but my
    > handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
    > slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two places.
    > All I can say was, it hurt!

    Sucks. Heal fast!

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

    "Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."
    Edward R. Murrow

  7. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Charles B. Summers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was

    the
    > worst?
    >
    > I broke my first bone last night on a jump. Stupid mistake, but my
    > handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
    > slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two

    places.
    > All I can say was, it hurt!

    Broken several ribs, chipped bone in my shin, broken wrist, I might have had
    a slight break in my collarbone (but I never went to the hospital for
    it)...now stitches...I've had many, many of those in various locations of my
    body...

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  8. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    Charles B. Summers wrote:
    > Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
    > worst?
    >
    > I broke my first bone last night on a jump. Stupid mistake, but my
    > handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
    > slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two places.
    > All I can say was, it hurt!

    A toe and a finger. Would've rather broken bones when I tore a bunch of
    ligaments in my shoulder. Bones would be healed and forgotten. the
    shoulder still bothers me some 12 years later.
    My wife's broken her clavicle and her skull (one nasty crash in the days
    before helmets). She's a very smart women (an MD). I figure she'd have
    a Nobel Prize by now, and might not have married me, if it weren't for
    that crash. ;-)

    Shawn

  9. "Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > My wife's broken her clavicle and her skull (one nasty crash in the days
    > before helmets). She's a very smart women (an MD). I figure she'd have
    > a Nobel Prize by now, and might not have married me, if it weren't for
    > that crash. ;-)
    >
    > Shawn

    Now that's a nasty one! Makes me hurt just thinking about it. When I was in
    the fourth grade, I landed head first on the street with the results being
    60 stitches in my forehead, but didn't break anything, thankfully. I imagine
    your wife probably had more!

  10. Jason

    Jason Guest

    * Charles B. Summers <[email protected]>:
    > Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
    > worst?
    >
    > I broke my first bone last night on a jump. Stupid mistake, but my
    > handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
    > slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two places.
    > All I can say was, it hurt!

    Not a one so far but thats more to dumb luck then riding skill on my
    part. :)

    Jason

  11. MattB

    MattB Guest

    Charles B. Summers wrote:
    > Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
    > worst?
    >
    > I broke my first bone last night on a jump. Stupid mistake, but my
    > handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
    > slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two places.
    > All I can say was, it hurt!

    That's quite a way to start! I've maybe cracked some ribs biking (or
    bruised them really badly - it's a fine line) but never a true, clear
    break (knock on wood). I have messed up my shoulder via a combination of
    skiing and biking, but it wasn't a broken bone.
    I've broken bones skiing, falling from a tree, and crashing a
    three-wheeler, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

    All the best for your healing process. Hope it goes as well as it can.

    Matt

  12. MattB wrote:
    > ... so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

    Never pass up an opportunity to throw in a Caddyshack line, I always
    say.

    E.P.

    "Cinderella story..."

  13. MattB

    MattB Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > MattB wrote:
    >
    >>... so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

    > Never pass up an opportunity to throw in a Caddyshack line, I always
    > say.
    >
    > E.P.
    >
    > "Cinderella story..."

    Cannonball!

  14. BB

    BB Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:19:45 -0500, Charles B. Summers wrote:
    > Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
    > worst?

    In 10 years of MTBing, I've never broken anything. Part of it is careful
    riding, part of it is living in a place that doesn't have a lot of exposed
    rock.

    > handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
    > slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two places.
    > All I can say was, it hurt!

    Ouch!

    --
    -BB-
    To e-mail me, unmunge my address

  15. Broken colarbone twice once back in 78 and just two
    years ago. Broke both legs and an ankle in 76 and they had to be pinned.
    Broke my skull in 62. Broke my foot in 78. Broke my hand in 79. Broke my
    wrist in 71. Broke my finger in 62. Broke three toes in 96,get this
    knicking a rat in half like an open double barrel shot gun. Broke a knee
    in 67. Thats broken bones.

  16. Westie

    Westie Guest

    Charles B. Summers wrote:
    > Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
    > worst?

    Separated my shoulder/AC joint, third degree. Still think I might have
    surgery one day when I can afford to take time off work for the six week
    recovery.
    Lots of bruising and sprains and the odd couple of days off to recover
    from aforementioned brusing and sprains.
    Chipped teeth and concussion as a young chap.
    Plenty of stitches in various parts of the anatomy at different times.
    Gouges and gravel rash in my knees mostly.

    > I broke my first bone last night on a jump.

    I've never been a big one for jumps. Small drops of a few feet I can
    handle easily enough, but the potential for pain always put me off jumps.

    >Stupid mistake, but my
    > handlebars were the culprit. They slipped on me on a landing causing me to
    > slip foreward and come down on the upper bar. Broke my pelvis in two places.
    > All I can say was, it hurt!

    Ouch! Broken pelvis! NOT a nice bone to break. I've known people that
    have done that and it's not pretty. Still, on the brightside, it will
    probably heal up just fine and you won't be permanently damaged. Gosh,
    that's reassuring, isn't it? LOL.
    Heal fast and well.
    --
    Westie

  17. Westie

    Westie Guest

    BB wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:19:45 -0500, Charles B. Summers wrote:
    >
    >>Just wondering, which bone(s) have you broken while riding, and what was the
    >>worst?

    > In 10 years of MTBing, I've never broken anything. Part of it is careful
    > riding, part of it is living in a place that doesn't have a lot of exposed
    > rock.

    Trust an expert, even exposed earth and leafy humus can hurt if you hit
    it right! :)
    --
    Westie