Broken bottom bracket lock ring

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Hayfever Edition ®

Guest
The outer lock ring on the bottom bracket broke off on the drive side, and
is stuck inside the bb shell. It's an older Fuji Crosstown bike. Is there
anything I can do to get the broken piece of the BB lock ring from the BB
shell, or is this frame toast? Thanks for any suggestions.

http://209.208.180.5/upload/brokenBBring.jpg

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Hayfever Edition ® wrote:
> The outer lock ring on the bottom bracket broke off on the drive side, and
> is stuck inside the bb shell. It's an older Fuji Crosstown bike. Is there
> anything I can do to get the broken piece of the BB lock ring from the BB
> shell, or is this frame toast? Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> http://209.208.180.5/upload/brokenBBring.jpg

It's a BB *cup*, or what's left of one, not a BB lock ring. Yes, there
are things you can do to get it out.

1) If there are any jagged edges, you can see if you can get the cup
remains to turn with a drift punch and hammer. It may be wise to apply
penetrating oil liberally and allow to soak for a while before you try.

2) If (1) fails, get a "rod saw" blade for your hacksaw handle. Here's
the first example Google gave me:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/starrett/hack03.html
You'll need it to cut a notch in the cup, parallel to the spindle
(remove it and opposite cup first) since the cup is hardened steel. Be
careful to cut the cup and not your frame. This will take a while, and
a certain amount of your favorite beverage. Swearing is optional. Once
you have a fairly deep notch, return to (1).

If even that fails, notch the cup more deeply, and on two sides, maybe
doing even light damage to the frame threads - the cup will collapse and
come out. This will take a long time and probably lots of swearing, at
least it did when I witnessed it done.

Mark J.

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Hayfever Edition ® wrote:
> The outer lock ring on the bottom bracket broke off on the drive side, and
> is stuck inside the bb shell. It's an older Fuji Crosstown bike. Is there
> anything I can do to get the broken piece of the BB lock ring from the BB
> shell, or is this frame toast? Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> http://209.208.180.5/upload/brokenBBring.jpg

Similar to a bolt with a head snapped off, there is now no tension on
the thread. Remove the other side and the ring will usually spin out
with fingers.

If threads are damaged at the outside you may have to cut the ring with
a small carbide cutter.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

If you take out the cup on the other side and cannot find a way to unscrew
this broken piece, then get yourself a die grinder. What I have used to get
a stubborn wheel bearing race out of my buick. I used my rotozip with a
grinding stone, or if you have compressor and a die grinder. I found that
the rotozip is more powerful. Method is to grind lightly without going into
the bottom bracket shell. Get the bearing cup (or what piece is left) ground
thin, and try breaking it with a screw driver. You might try 2 grind
locations to get it to break loose.
"Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Hayfever Edition ®" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> The outer lock ring on the bottom bracket broke off on the drive side, and
> is stuck inside the bb shell. It's an older Fuji Crosstown bike. Is
> there anything I can do to get the broken piece of the BB lock ring from
> the BB shell, or is this frame toast? Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> http://209.208.180.5/upload/brokenBBring.jpg

On May 23, 11:35 pm, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Hayfever Edition ®"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> The outer lock ring on the bottom bracket broke off on the drive side, and
> is stuck inside the bb shell. It's an older Fuji Crosstown bike. Is there
> anything I can do to get the broken piece of the BB lock ring from the BB
> shell, or is this frame toast? Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> http://209.208.180.5/upload/brokenBBring.jpg

VAR used to manufacture a tool specifically to remove BB cups. It was
a massive (heavy) two piece tool, slighlty smaller in diameter than a
BB shell. One piece had a threaded rod and a face ground to
approximate the shape of the bearing races. This piece would be
inserted into the shell from the opposite side of the stuck cup, with
the threaded rod protruding through the spindle hole. The second
piece would be threaded onto the rod, and snugged up against the outer
face of the cup. Once tightened, the two pieces would clamp the cup
between them, and the entire assby could be turned and the cup removed
without cutting or banging away at the shell. Perhaps one of the
older LBS's in your area has one laying about...or you could fabricate
something similar with a rod, some washers and a few nuts.
The beauty of the VAR tool was the amount torque that could be
applied....I don't recall ever failing to remove a cup....given enough
leverage...
//jtp//

Johnny Two Pedals wrote:
> On May 23, 11:35 pm, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Hayfever Edition ®"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The outer lock ring on the bottom bracket broke off on the drive side, and
>> is stuck inside the bb shell. It's an older Fuji Crosstown bike. Is there
>> anything I can do to get the broken piece of the BB lock ring from the BB
>> shell, or is this frame toast? Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>> http://209.208.180.5/upload/brokenBBring.jpg

> VAR used to manufacture a tool specifically to remove BB cups. It was
> a massive (heavy) two piece tool, slighlty smaller in diameter than a
> BB shell. One piece had a threaded rod and a face ground to
> approximate the shape of the bearing races. This piece would be
> inserted into the shell from the opposite side of the stuck cup, with
> the threaded rod protruding through the spindle hole. The second
> piece would be threaded onto the rod, and snugged up against the outer
> face of the cup. Once tightened, the two pieces would clamp the cup
> between them, and the entire assby could be turned and the cup removed
> without cutting or banging away at the shell. Perhaps one of the
> older LBS's in your area has one laying about...or you could fabricate
> something similar with a rod, some washers and a few nuts.
> The beauty of the VAR tool was the amount torque that could be
> applied....I don't recall ever failing to remove a cup....given enough
> leverage...
> //jtp//

Check out the photo in the link. The VAR tool you cite grips the face
of the cup; his cup's face has fallen off, leaving only a ring of
threads inside the BB. Nice tool, I've got one - it just won't help the OP.

Mark J.

> Check out the photo in the link. The VAR tool you cite grips the face
> of the cup; his cup's face has fallen off, leaving only a ring of
> threads inside the BB. Nice tool, I've got one - it just won't help the OP.
>
> Mark J.

Sorry....my newsreader at work filtered out the photo link.

//jtp//