brooks seats are they flat after you break them in?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by stevek, Oct 8, 2003.

1. stevek

stevek New Member

I need a seat that does not have much curve over the top. and that I am heavy I am wondering of the brooks will sag in the middle?

Tags:

2. dhk

dhk New Member

They will gradually sag, at least my old B17 (circa 1974) did. They have a tension nut in front that's suppose to allow you some adjustment as the leather stretches. Folks who get them broken in swear by them for ultra-long distance comfort. Personally, mine was never that comfortable.

Dan

3. stevek

stevek New Member

saddles are such a personal thing. what a pain in the rear (G)

4. cmitch46

cmitch46 New Member

I have a Brooks B-17 and a Brooks Swift on my two road bikes. I have an Ideale 90 (French leather saddle--now defunct) on my city bike. I'm also fairly heavy. What I've found is that as a good leather saddle breaks in, the leather start to conform to the curvature of your "sit bones". Consequently, when I view the top of the saddle at an angle, I can see two indentations in the leather where my "sit bones" make contact with the saddle.
    To answer your question, I have no problem with "sag" and the heretofore mentioned saddle tension nut will take care of that.
    And more importantly, they are comfortable.they are comfortable

5. cmitch46

cmitch46 New Member

I have a Brooks B-17 and a Brooks Swift on my two road bikes. I have an Ideale 90 (French leather saddle--now defunct) on my city bike. I'm also fairly heavy. What I've found is that as a good leather saddle breaks in, the leather starts to conform to the curvature of your "sit bones". Consequently, when I view the top of the saddle at an angle, I can see two indentations in the leather where my "sit bones" make contact with the saddle.
    To answer your question, I have no problem with "sag" and the heretofore mentioned saddle tension nut will take care of that.
    And more importantly, they are comfortable