BSM trial cycle training

Pete Biggs

Guest
from www.bikebiz.co.uk 6th Feb:

L-plates for cyclists: BSM to offer cycle training

Britain's largest driver training company, owned by the RAC, is to trial a child cycle training
scheme in March. If successful, the scheme could be rolled out across the UK and would include adult
and family cycle training. Such a scheme would create more cyclists and, if taken up by schools
nationwide, would also mean drivers of the future would have experienced two-wheeled travel first,
making them more considerate towards cyclists.

In March, BSM - the British School of Motoring - is to trial a cycle training scheme in Derby. The
scheme would be school-based and would involve 11-14 year olds. Three schools have been chosen for
the trial and 150 students are expected to take part.

The scheme is being supported by Derbyshire County Council and their safer routes to school
initiatives. The Transport Research Laboratory will evaluate the results of the trial.

Andy Brown, manager of BSM's education programme, told BikeBiz.co.uk he had great hopes the trial
would prove a success and that similar school-based schemes could be rolled out nationwide.

"We are not big, bad BSM trying to impose our will on cyclists. We've been working on our scheme for
many months and have liaised with organisations such as the CTC, who clearly know a lot more about
cycling than we do.

"When cycle training national standards are agreed upon, something the CTC is working on, we will
meet those standards.

"There are a scattering of regionally based cycle training businesses but what BSM can offer is
scale. A national and commercial cycle training offering can only do good for cycling."

BSM has recently started to offer motorcycle lessons and the cycle skills training is seen as an
extension of BSM's "two wheeled offering", said Brown.

If the Derbyshire trial is a success, BSM would look to also offer adult cycle training schemes
- similar to those pioneered by the York road safety team - as well as cycle training schemes
for families.

Pete Biggs wrote:

> from www.bikebiz.co.uk 6th Feb:
>
> L-plates for cyclists: BSM to offer cycle training
>
> Britain's largest driver training company, owned by the RAC, is to trial a child cycle training
> scheme in March.

Hmmm.

Now why do I think this is something that the CTC should be offering?

Or perhaps they are to start a driving school?

John B

> > Britain's largest driver training company, owned by the RAC, is to trial a child cycle training
> > scheme in March.
>
> Hmmm.
>
> Now why do I think this is something that the CTC should be offering?

The American equivalent of the CTC, the League of American Bicyclists, has offered what used to be
called the "Effective Cycling" courses for many years. The whole thing has been rather a fiasco, and
John Forester, author of the book "Effective Cycling" has now revoked LAB's right to use the name.

I think the Canadian equivalent, CAN-BIKE, is still doing ok though.

Jeremy Parker