Buffalo Type tops

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Dave P, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Mark Manning wrote:

    >I've taken to wearing Paramo Viento kit (over a base layer)
    > in any
    > season except summer, and am a convert. "Normal" Paramo
    > kit, as Pete rightly
    >said, is very warm, and the Viento range was designed to be
    > lighter and for
    > higher temperatures. I too "run hot", but find I can
    > control the temperature
    >of the Viento about as well as a layering system, and much
    > more conveniently.

    I tried their 3rd Element jacket with all sorts of clever
    airflow thingies, which they reckoned okay to 25C. I had to
    take it off going up the wee Buchaille at about 10C 'cause I
    was about to burst into flame :-(

    But different strokes for different folks. I know several
    folk who use the stuff and are *very* happy with it.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

  3. Mark Manning

    Mark Manning Guest

    In uk.rec.walking Steve wrote:
    > On 10 Mar 2004 09:47:25 GMT, Mark Manning
    > <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> (they convert to shorts)

    > ...but then you end up looking like the geeza to the far
    > right on this page:

    > http://www.srcunningham.co.uk/Paramo/VIENTO.htm

    True enough. Notice that I said they convert to
    shorts, not that they converted to fantastically
    fashionable ones! :)

    With regard to temperatures, I think I could probably
    wear the Viento stuff up to about 12 Celsius if active.
    I dread to think what it would be like at 25 Celsius!

    Mark
    --
    Mark Manning [email protected]

  4. Rifleman

    Rifleman Guest

    "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > No protection against serious rain.

    They aren't designed to be waterproof. They are designed to
    keep you warm when wet. They work very well.

  5. "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]
    > binary.blueyonder.co.uk>, "Bernie Hughes"
    > >>
    > >> Light weight.
    > >>
    > >> The list of disadvantages is a good deal longer.
    > >
    > > Intriguing. Go on then...
    >
    > Too warm when you exercise. Too cold when you don't. Gets
    > sweaty very quickly when you exercise - and tends towards
    > smelliness much more than fleece/goretex. No protection
    > against serious rain. Or serious anything else.

    Very comprehensive! I've never so much as seen a Buffalo
    top. Is it like Paramo?
    --

    Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Bernie Hughes wrote:

    > Very comprehensive! I've never so much as seen a Buffalo
    > top. Is it like Paramo?

    You almost certainly have, though not realised it. They've
    been a fairly staple feature of UK hill clothing since at
    least back into the mid 80s, possibly longer. Typically sky
    blue, purple or olive green, a pullover top with side vent
    zips and a kangaroo pocket. Successful enough to have
    spawned a host of clones.

    It's not meant to be waterproof, which Paramo is. The Paramo
    Velez top (and the original Nevada top they made) are quite
    close in overall layout to a Buffalo top.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177
    Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  7. Kro

    Kro Guest

    "Bernie Hughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:76k2i1-
    > [email protected]
    > > In article <[email protected]
    > > binary.blueyonder.co.uk>, "Bernie Hughes"

    > > > Intriguing. Go on then...
    > >
    > > Too warm when you exercise. Too cold when you don't.
    > > Gets sweaty very quickly when you exercise - and
    > > tends towards smelliness much more than
    > > fleece/goretex. No protection against serious rain.
    > > Or serious anything else.
    >
    > Very comprehensive! I've never so much as seen a Buffalo
    > top. Is it like Paramo?

    Sounds like my Paramo anyway. I use it as a mid layer in
    winter, and as an outer layer in summer. It's not bad, could
    do with another pocket and is no good in rain as others have
    said. It packs down to a very small size.

    KRO

  8. Arnaud

    Arnaud Guest

    news:[email protected]...

    > But great in yer average conditions (as long as it is cold
    > enough that you don't overheat)

    Aye, that is a point. Why would you wear a buffalo in
    serious rain anyway. That would be a typical example of ill-
    equiped outdoor enthusiast. In fact why would you be out at
    all in serious rain? Huh?

    A.-

  9. Judith

    Judith Guest

    On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 14:04:59 +0000, Steve Orrell wrote:

    >>Is this the factory shop at Ashington, Steve? If so are
    >>there any bargains. What's the prices like?
    >
    >Yes it is in Ashuntun

    Which county is Ashington in? I can find three on Autoroute
    (and if it's the one in Somerset then I could pop in on
    Friday as I'll be within 20 miles).

    I've had a Montane jacket for about ten years and, apart
    from the puller coming off both ends of the zip, it's been
    brilliant. I might go for an over-the-head one this
    time....... although I do find I can only wear the jacket in
    the depths of winter as it's very warm.

    Judith

  10. Steve

    Steve Guest

    <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >>Which county is Ashington in?
    >
    >Nof'umberlund

    Yup, Deepest Darkest recesses of The Coonty

    >bought a Super Fly waterproof, breathable, jacket which
    >weighs in at a hefty 233g (medium). Just need some rain to
    >test it now!

    No inclination to stand in the shower wearing it? All in the
    name of science, of course!

    SteveO

    NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
    http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

    NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

  11. Judith

    Judith Guest

    <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >>Which county is Ashington in?
    >
    >Nof'umberlund

    Hm? Even with my poor sense of direction I'd be hard pushed
    to get from Dorset to Cheshire via Northumberland!!

    Judith

  12. Muzz

    Muzz Guest

    Nick Kew wrote:

    > My track suit keeps me warm and comfortable when wet. As
    > does fleece. Either of them have additional advantages,
    > like staying dry in anything short of heavy rain (the
    > buffalo gets drenched in sweat regardless) and smelling a
    > lot better during/after use. The buffalo, by contrast,
    > makes it very hard to stay warm if you stop exercising,
    > and even makes a change of clothes problematic due to
    > being drenched in sweat.

    Mmm getting cold in a buffalo, jump up and down a bit. When
    too hot use those zip things that go all the way up both
    sides. Didn't you get the 30 page instruction book ?
    --
    Muzz reply to muzz and not slash

  13. "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bernie Hughes wrote:
    >
    > > Very comprehensive! I've never so much as seen a Buffalo
    > > top. Is it like Paramo?
    >
    > You almost certainly have, though not realised it. They've
    > been a fairly staple feature of UK hill clothing since at
    > least back into the mid 80s, possibly longer.

    You're probably right. But although I walk frequently, I go
    solo, & very rarely stray into Munro territory, so I have
    surprisingly little opportunity to gauge what the well-
    dressed walker is wearing these days. Perhaps I should have
    said that I don't recall ever seeing anything labelled as
    Buffalo in Tiso or Blacks, which is where I normally buy
    stuff. I recently bought a pair of Paramo trousers online,
    mainly because I couldn't find them in any shops. When I
    asked an acquaintance who works for Tiso why they didn't
    stock Paramo he said it was for 'historical reasons'. Maybe
    the same applies to Buffalo.
    --

    Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

  14. "KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > > > Too warm when you exercise. Too cold when you don't.
    > > > Gets sweaty very quickly when you exercise - and tends
    > > > towards smelliness much more than fleece/goretex. No
    > > > protection against serious rain. Or serious anything
    > > > else.
    > >
    > > Very comprehensive! I've never so much as seen a Buffalo
    > > top. Is it like Paramo?
    >
    > Sounds like my Paramo anyway. I use it as a mid layer in
    > winter, and as an outer layer in summer. It's not bad,
    > could do with another pocket and is no good in rain as
    > others have said.

    I take it you mean it leaks more than would be comfortable?
    I've recently invested in a pair of Paramo trousers, which
    have impressed me greatly. I have a pathological dislike of
    walking in overtrousers, with the inevitable result that I
    frequently fall into the trap of not putting them on till
    I'm soaked already. I also grudge lugging half-a-kilo of
    plastic around on dry days. So I'm very please with my new
    Cascada; but admittedly I've not had the chance to try them
    out in a really good downpour.

    --

    Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

  15. Jhimmy

    Jhimmy Guest

    Thanks Steve,

    I'll pop in sometime in the near future. I live just south
    of the Tyne, so I'll have to spend a pound getting through
    the tunnel, drat!

    Jhimmy.

    <Steve Orrell> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 13:47:06 -0000, "Jhimmy"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Re.: Montane factory shop
    >
    > >Is this the factory shop at Ashington, Steve? If so are
    > >there any
    bargains.
    > >What's the prices like?
    >
    > Yes it is in Ashuntun, the prices are pretty good overall
    > tho' there's no guarantee what stock they'll have; stock
    > at the mo' is pretty good but I've been in when its been
    > the opposite. Picked up one of those soopa-doopa almost-weighs-
    > nothing Pertex jackets on my visit @ 30UKP instead of 50
    > (I went for the Lite-Speed the one with the hood...
    > visions of freezin' me **nads off on a spring-time belay,
    > getting caught short without a jacket by balmy spring
    > sunshine was the motivation ;-) The other jacket, no hood,
    > is 25ukp
    >

    > SteveO
    >
    > NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
    > http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php
    >
    > NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

    ---
    virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.620 /
    Virus Database: 399 - Release Date: 11/03/2004

  16. Mick Dolan

    Mick Dolan Guest

    Am just back from a day's walking (7 hrs) in the Wicklow mountains in
    Ireland - boy was I delighted to have my Buffalo. Only one layer for the
    full day and the wind gusted up to 50 mph - according to weather reports.
    However, a particularly heavy and prolonged shower had me putting on a
    goretex top layer for a short while - resulting in the inside being soaked
    by the wicking from the Buffalo. I went back to the buffalo only and prayed
    for dryness. An excellent piece of kit and probably the best buy I've made
    in 5 years.
    "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]
    > binary.blueyonder.co.uk>, "Bernie Hughes"
    > >>
    > >> Light weight.
    > >>
    > >> The list of disadvantages is a good deal longer.
    > >
    > > Intriguing. Go on then...
    >
    > Too warm when you exercise. Too cold when you don't.
    > Gets sweaty very quickly when you exercise - and
    > tends towards smelliness much more than
    > fleece/goretex. No protection against serious rain.
    > Or serious anything else.
    >
    > --
    > Nick Kew

  17. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:47:04 -0000, "Jhimmy" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I'll pop in sometime in the near future. I live just south
    >of the Tyne, so I'll have to spend a pound getting through
    >the tunnel, drat!

    Ah well, y'see... depending upon exactly you are sooth of
    the watta you could easily come around the western bypass
    and come off at Seaton Burn, wazz your way around Cram, by
    hook or by crook, and you're on the Spine Road... or you
    could come through the tunnel to avoid the hassle ;-)

    BOL !!

    SteveO

    NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
    http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

    NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

  18. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Bernie Hughes wrote:

    > should have said that I don't recall ever seeing anything
    > labelled as Buffalo in Tiso or Blacks, which is where I
    > normally buy stuff. I recently bought a pair of Paramo
    > trousers online, mainly because I couldn't find them in
    > any shops. When I asked an acquaintance who works for Tiso
    > why they didn't stock Paramo he said it was for
    > 'historical reasons'. Maybe the same applies to Buffalo.

    Tiso's do sell Buffalo, so I don't think so! If you like
    Paramo stuff note that Mountain Supplies (Braemar, Aviemore,
    Perth and Ullapool), among others, stock it.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177
    Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  19. "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bernie Hughes wrote:
    >
    > > should have said that I don't recall ever seeing
    > > anything labelled as Buffalo in Tiso or Blacks, which is
    > > where I normally buy stuff. I
    recently
    > > bought a pair of Paramo trousers online, mainly because
    > > I couldn't find
    them
    > > in any shops. When I asked an acquaintance who works for
    > > Tiso why they didn't stock Paramo he said it was for
    > > 'historical reasons'. Maybe the
    same
    > > applies to Buffalo.
    >
    > Tiso's do sell Buffalo, so I don't think so! If you like
    > Paramo stuff note that Mountain Supplies (Braemar,
    > Aviemore, Perth and Ullapool), among others, stock it.

    Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.
    --

    Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..