Buffalo Type tops

Mark Manning wrote:

>I've taken to wearing Paramo Viento kit (over a base layer)
> in any
> season except summer, and am a convert. "Normal" Paramo
> kit, as Pete rightly
>said, is very warm, and the Viento range was designed to be
> lighter and for
> higher temperatures. I too "run hot", but find I can
> control the temperature
>of the Viento about as well as a layering system, and much
> more conveniently.

I tried their 3rd Element jacket with all sorts of clever
airflow thingies, which they reckoned okay to 25C. I had to
take it off going up the wee Buchaille at about 10C 'cause I
was about to burst into flame :-(

But different strokes for different folks. I know several
folk who use the stuff and are *very* happy with it.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177

In uk.rec.walking Steve wrote:
> On 10 Mar 2004 09:47:25 GMT, Mark Manning
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> (they convert to shorts)

> ...but then you end up looking like the geeza to the far
> right on this page:

> http://www.srcunningham.co.uk/Paramo/VIENTO.htm

True enough. Notice that I said they convert to
shorts, not that they converted to fantastically
fashionable ones! :)

With regard to temperatures, I think I could probably
wear the Viento stuff up to about 12 Celsius if active.
I dread to think what it would be like at 25 Celsius!

Mark
--
Mark Manning [email protected]

"Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <Vrp3c.102$942.88@news-
> binary.blueyonder.co.uk>, "Bernie Hughes"
> >>
> >> Light weight.
> >>
> >> The list of disadvantages is a good deal longer.
> >
> > Intriguing. Go on then...
>
> Too warm when you exercise. Too cold when you don't. Gets
> sweaty very quickly when you exercise - and tends towards
> smelliness much more than fleece/goretex. No protection
> against serious rain. Or serious anything else.

Very comprehensive! I've never so much as seen a Buffalo
top. Is it like Paramo?
--

Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

Bernie Hughes wrote:

> Very comprehensive! I've never so much as seen a Buffalo
> top. Is it like Paramo?

You almost certainly have, though not realised it. They've
been a fairly staple feature of UK hill clothing since at
least back into the mid 80s, possibly longer. Typically sky
blue, purple or olive green, a pullover top with side vent
zips and a kangaroo pocket. Successful enough to have
spawned a host of clones.

It's not meant to be waterproof, which Paramo is. The Paramo
Velez top (and the original Nevada top they made) are quite
close in overall layout to a Buffalo top.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177
Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

"Bernie Hughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:76k2i1-
> [email protected]...
> > In article <Vrp3c.102$942.88@news-
> > binary.blueyonder.co.uk>, "Bernie Hughes"

> > > Intriguing. Go on then...
> >
> > Too warm when you exercise. Too cold when you don't.
> > Gets sweaty very quickly when you exercise - and
> > tends towards smelliness much more than
> > fleece/goretex. No protection against serious rain.
> > Or serious anything else.
>
> Very comprehensive! I've never so much as seen a Buffalo
> top. Is it like Paramo?

Sounds like my Paramo anyway. I use it as a mid layer in
winter, and as an outer layer in summer. It's not bad, could
do with another pocket and is no good in rain as others have
said. It packs down to a very small size.

KRO

news:[email protected]...

> But great in yer average conditions (as long as it is cold
> enough that you don't overheat)

Aye, that is a point. Why would you wear a buffalo in
serious rain anyway. That would be a typical example of ill-
equiped outdoor enthusiast. In fact why would you be out at
all in serious rain? Huh?

A.-

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 14:04:59 +0000, Steve Orrell wrote:

>>Is this the factory shop at Ashington, Steve? If so are
>>there any bargains. What's the prices like?
>
>Yes it is in Ashuntun

Which county is Ashington in? I can find three on Autoroute
(and if it's the one in Somerset then I could pop in on
Friday as I'll be within 20 miles).

I've had a Montane jacket for about ten years and, apart
from the puller coming off both ends of the zip, it's been
brilliant. I might go for an over-the-head one this
time....... although I do find I can only wear the jacket in
the depths of winter as it's very warm.

Judith

<{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>Which county is Ashington in?
>
>Nof'umberlund

Yup, Deepest Darkest recesses of The Coonty

>bought a Super Fly waterproof, breathable, jacket which
>weighs in at a hefty 233g (medium). Just need some rain to
>test it now!

No inclination to stand in the shower wearing it? All in the
name of science, of course!

SteveO

NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

<{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>Which county is Ashington in?
>
>Nof'umberlund

Hm? Even with my poor sense of direction I'd be hard pushed
to get from Dorset to Cheshire via Northumberland!!

Judith

Nick Kew wrote:

> My track suit keeps me warm and comfortable when wet. As
> does fleece. Either of them have additional advantages,
> like staying dry in anything short of heavy rain (the
> buffalo gets drenched in sweat regardless) and smelling a
> lot better during/after use. The buffalo, by contrast,
> makes it very hard to stay warm if you stop exercising,
> and even makes a change of clothes problematic due to
> being drenched in sweat.

Mmm getting cold in a buffalo, jump up and down a bit. When
too hot use those zip things that go all the way up both
sides. Didn't you get the 30 page instruction book ?
--
Muzz reply to muzz and not slash

> Bernie Hughes wrote:
>
> > Very comprehensive! I've never so much as seen a Buffalo
> > top. Is it like Paramo?
>
> You almost certainly have, though not realised it. They've
> been a fairly staple feature of UK hill clothing since at
> least back into the mid 80s, possibly longer.

You're probably right. But although I walk frequently, I go
solo, & very rarely stray into Munro territory, so I have
surprisingly little opportunity to gauge what the well-
dressed walker is wearing these days. Perhaps I should have
said that I don't recall ever seeing anything labelled as
Buffalo in Tiso or Blacks, which is where I normally buy
stuff. I recently bought a pair of Paramo trousers online,
mainly because I couldn't find them in any shops. When I
asked an acquaintance who works for Tiso why they didn't
stock Paramo he said it was for 'historical reasons'. Maybe
the same applies to Buffalo.
--

Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

"KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>
> > > Too warm when you exercise. Too cold when you don't.
> > > Gets sweaty very quickly when you exercise - and tends
> > > towards smelliness much more than fleece/goretex. No
> > > protection against serious rain. Or serious anything
> > > else.
> >
> > Very comprehensive! I've never so much as seen a Buffalo
> > top. Is it like Paramo?
>
> Sounds like my Paramo anyway. I use it as a mid layer in
> winter, and as an outer layer in summer. It's not bad,
> could do with another pocket and is no good in rain as
> others have said.

I take it you mean it leaks more than would be comfortable?
I've recently invested in a pair of Paramo trousers, which
have impressed me greatly. I have a pathological dislike of
walking in overtrousers, with the inevitable result that I
frequently fall into the trap of not putting them on till
I'm soaked already. I also grudge lugging half-a-kilo of
plastic around on dry days. So I'm very please with my new
Cascada; but admittedly I've not had the chance to try them
out in a really good downpour.

--

Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

Thanks Steve,

I'll pop in sometime in the near future. I live just south
of the Tyne, so I'll have to spend a pound getting through
the tunnel, drat!

Jhimmy.

<Steve Orrell> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 13:47:06 -0000, "Jhimmy"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Re.: Montane factory shop
>
> >Is this the factory shop at Ashington, Steve? If so are
> >there any
bargains.
> >What's the prices like?
>
> Yes it is in Ashuntun, the prices are pretty good overall
> tho' there's no guarantee what stock they'll have; stock
> at the mo' is pretty good but I've been in when its been
> the opposite. Picked up one of those soopa-doopa almost-weighs-
> nothing Pertex jackets on my visit @ 30UKP instead of 50
> (I went for the Lite-Speed the one with the hood...
> visions of freezin' me **nads off on a spring-time belay,
> getting caught short without a jacket by balmy spring
> sunshine was the motivation ;-) The other jacket, no hood,
> is 25ukp
>

> SteveO
>
> NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
> http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php
>
> NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

---
virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.620 /
Virus Database: 399 - Release Date: 11/03/2004

Am just back from a day's walking (7 hrs) in the Wicklow mountains in
Ireland - boy was I delighted to have my Buffalo. Only one layer for the
full day and the wind gusted up to 50 mph - according to weather reports.
However, a particularly heavy and prolonged shower had me putting on a
goretex top layer for a short while - resulting in the inside being soaked
by the wicking from the Buffalo. I went back to the buffalo only and prayed
for dryness. An excellent piece of kit and probably the best buy I've made
in 5 years.
"Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <Vrp3c.102$942.88@news-
> binary.blueyonder.co.uk>, "Bernie Hughes"
> >>
> >> Light weight.
> >>
> >> The list of disadvantages is a good deal longer.
> >
> > Intriguing. Go on then...
>
> Too warm when you exercise. Too cold when you don't.
> Gets sweaty very quickly when you exercise - and
> tends towards smelliness much more than
> fleece/goretex. No protection against serious rain.
> Or serious anything else.
>
> --
> Nick Kew

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:47:04 -0000, "Jhimmy" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'll pop in sometime in the near future. I live just south
>of the Tyne, so I'll have to spend a pound getting through
>the tunnel, drat!

Ah well, y'see... depending upon exactly you are sooth of
the watta you could easily come around the western bypass
and come off at Seaton Burn, wazz your way around Cram, by
hook or by crook, and you're on the Spine Road... or you
could come through the tunnel to avoid the hassle ;-)

BOL !!

Bernie Hughes wrote:

> should have said that I don't recall ever seeing anything
> labelled as Buffalo in Tiso or Blacks, which is where I
> normally buy stuff. I recently bought a pair of Paramo
> trousers online, mainly because I couldn't find them in
> any shops. When I asked an acquaintance who works for Tiso
> why they didn't stock Paramo he said it was for
> 'historical reasons'. Maybe the same applies to Buffalo.

Tiso's do sell Buffalo, so I don't think so! If you like
Paramo stuff note that Mountain Supplies (Braemar, Aviemore,
Perth and Ullapool), among others, stock it.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177
Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

> Bernie Hughes wrote:
>
> > should have said that I don't recall ever seeing
> > anything labelled as Buffalo in Tiso or Blacks, which is
> > where I normally buy stuff. I
recently
> > bought a pair of Paramo trousers online, mainly because
> > I couldn't find
them
> > in any shops. When I asked an acquaintance who works for
> > Tiso why they didn't stock Paramo he said it was for
> > 'historical reasons'. Maybe the
same
> > applies to Buffalo.
>
> Tiso's do sell Buffalo, so I don't think so! If you like
> Paramo stuff note that Mountain Supplies (Braemar,
> Aviemore, Perth and Ullapool), among others, stock it.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.
--

Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..