Building your own bike frame at home

D Hodapp

Feb 25, 2012
I'm writing because I want to spread the word about a project that I've been a part of. A friend and I are avid cyclists from Minneapolis who have wanted to build our own bike frames for a few years. We kept getting hung up because the price of a frame jig (a tool to hold all of the tubes in place while they are welded) was so high. We decided to do something about it and ended up designing a product we call, The Jiggernaut. The Jiggernaut is an inexpensive frame building jig that allows anyone to build a high-quality, custom bicycle at home. It's made from CNC router medium density fiberboard (MDF) and off the shelf hardware. It can be packed flat for shipping and retails for less than 1/4 of the price of its peers. We want to spread our idea to the masses and give anyone a chance to create their own custom bicycle. To help us launch this idea we've teamed up with Kickstarter.com and are currently accepting pledges to help get the project going. You can take a look here. If you find this idea interesting and would want to talk more about it, please get back to me and we can chat.
--
Dillon

building a custom frame means more than do-it-yourself, can you handle the different angles require for different riders measurements ? can you set different bike geometries accurately ? the average guy won't have oxygene soldering equipment in the garage, let alone know how to use it, i wouldn't market your product for the masses, maybe offer it as a kit for medium to advance customer's who want to learn and enjoy this kind of project and who have a fair chance of pulling it off,