Building your own bike

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> Possibly, but I'm pretty sure most of the donor-bikes start with useable
> frames. If they didn't, it would be a waste of space to ship them.
>
> Well, maybe not. The article mentions local Ghanian import duties which
> cause complete bikes to be cheaper to import than parts. Nonetheless,
> that's an artifact of the local tax system, not an inherent problem.
>
> What I'm getting at is there's a large chance that by revolutionizing
> the bicycle frame, they're solving the non-problem.

Uh, US duties run about 5.5% for complete bikes, often 14% for parts
(many esoteric exceptions including a duty on tubulars, which are not
made here. Wonder why rings are pricey? Chainrings are 'parts' @14%,
cranksets duty free)
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 12:34:09 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:
>>> Which could be a broken, bent, or otherwise unuseable frame. Lots of
>>> THEM in Africa. (but then, a lot of them are the flimsy "flying
>>> pigeons" and their ilk from China - and their components may not be
>>> worth scavenging.

>Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>> Possibly, but I'm pretty sure most of the donor-bikes start with useable
>> frames. If they didn't, it would be a waste of space to ship them.
>>
>> Well, maybe not. The article mentions local Ghanian import duties which
>> cause complete bikes to be cheaper to import than parts. Nonetheless,
>> that's an artifact of the local tax system, not an inherent problem.
>>
>> What I'm getting at is there's a large chance that by revolutionizing
>> the bicycle frame, they're solving the non-problem.

>Uh, US duties run about 5.5% for complete bikes, often 14% for parts
>(many esoteric exceptions including a duty on tubulars, which are not
>made here. Wonder why rings are pricey? Chainrings are 'parts' @14%,
>cranksets duty free)

Dear Andrew,

Because some patriots speculate in Egyptian cranksets?

***

"Why don't you sell your cranksets to the government?"

Milo vetoed the idea brusquely. "It's a matter of principle," he
explained firmly. "The government has no business in business, and I
would be the last person in the world to ever try to involve the
government in a business of mine. But the business of the government
is business," he remembered alertly, and continued with elation.
"Calvin Coolidge said that, and Calvin Coolidge was a President, so it
must be true. And the government does have the responsibility of
buying all the Egyptian cranksets I've got that no one else wants so I
can make a profit, doesn't it? But how will I get the government to do
it?"

"Bribe it."

"Bribe it!" Milo was outraged and almost lost his balance and broke
his neck again. "Shame on you," he scolded severely, breathing
virtuous fire down and upward into his rusty mustache through his
billowing nostrils and prim lips. "Bribery is against the law, and you
know it. But it's not against the law to make a profit, isn't it? So
it can't be against the law for me to bribe someone in order to make a
fair profit, can it? No, of course not! But how would I know who to
bribe?"

"Oh you don't worry about that. You make the bribe big enough and they
will find you. Just make sure you do everything right out in the open.
Let everyone know exactly what you want and how much you're willing to
pay for it. The first time you act guilty or ashamed, you might get
into trouble."

"I wish you'd come with me." Milo remarked. "I won't feel safe among
people who take bribes. They're no better than a bunch of crooks."

"You'll be alright," Yossarian assured him with confidence. "If you
run into trouble, just tell everybody that the security of the country
requires a strong domestic Egyptian-crankset speculating industry."

"It does," Milo informed him solemnly. "A strong Egyptian-crankset
speculating industry means a much stronger America."

"Of course it does. And if that doesn't work, point out the great
number of American families that depend on it for income."

"A great many American families do depend on it for income."

"You see?" said Yossarian. "You're much better at it than I am. You
almost make it sound true."

"It is true."

***

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

there are manuals. search 'world catalog' for "bicycle frame" or
"bicycle frame builder" world cat is at the local library or online
thru the local lib using your lib card number thru the lib's online
service.
search 'united bicycle institute'
frame fabrication is daunting for the first time builder as jigs are
necessary. a rebuild is more entertaining long run unless you're
compulsive.
just start? find the Carmichael-Armstrong training manual, see
EXRX.com online, and a coupla good books on stretch excercises.

http://www.frostybobs.org/bikebuild.html

http://www.timpaterek.com/

datakoll wrote:

> there are manuals. search 'world catalog' for "bicycle frame" or
> "bicycle frame builder" world cat is at the local library or online
> thru the local lib using your lib card number thru the lib's online
> service.
> search 'united bicycle institute'
> frame fabrication is daunting for the first time builder as jigs are
> necessary. a rebuild is more entertaining long run unless you're
> compulsive.
> just start? find the Carmichael-Armstrong training manual, see
> EXRX.com online, and a coupla good books on stretch excercises.

Fixtures are not specifically required for a one-off. They speed
construction, but are not inherently 'better' than any other method of
accurate measurement.