Bulletproof Tire?

On 23 May 2003 15:54:15 -0700, [email protected] (Dennis Pedrick) wrote:

>FWIW, the rolling resistence for these tires is a little better than Primo Comets according to the
>tests done by Dave Lafford. If the "real-world" tests are comparable with the lab tests, these
>tires should be terrific for 95% of the biking population.
>
>Regards -- DP

Dennis, Color me an optimistic realist , and an entrepreneur to boot. I hope these tires come thru
but I have never seen the test results you mentioned. Can you refer or reprint the post.

Thanks Dave

chere <[email protected]> wrote:
> Came home yesterday with a flat on the front of my Gold Rush - 20" (451) x 1
> 1/8 and am thinking a tougher tire is in order. Any suggestions?

Well, with a 451, not too many options. I think Hostel Shoppe has Primo Comet Kevlar available in 20
x 1 3/8 (37-451). I've had the 37-406 Kevlar Comets on my Rocket at one time, and they were the only
tires that I managed to wear out without getting flats. The used WizWheelz trike I bought came with
37-406 Kevlar Comets on the front, so far no problems. It also has a 37-451 non-Kevlar Comet on the
rear, and it has also been trouble-free so far. *crosses fingers* I've added a 15 mm wrench to my
toolkit, just in case, since the rear wheel has a 3x7 hub.

Does the GRR's fork have clearance for a 37 mm tire?

IMHO, I like the Comets on the trike, but I wasn't fond of their cornering (especially on wet
pavement) on the Rocket. Then again, I tend to run tires at high pressure. Anyway, the Rocket now
has wide rims and Comp Pools - definitely not flatproof, but I like the way they ride and handle.
Not available in 451...

--
Russ Price * [email protected] * kill the wabbit to email

"The Segway: revolutionizing the way people get hit by cars." -Robert Canon

> Dennis, Color me an optimistic realist , and an entrepreneur to boot. I hope these tires come thru
> but I have never seen the test results you mentioned. Can you refer or reprint the post.
>
> Thanks Dave

Here's the original post as requested (sorry about the length):

---------------------

From: Hugh waters ([email protected]) Subject: Re: AAARRRGGGHHH! (was: Airless Tires)

Newsgroups: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Date: 2002-12-16 09:12:29 PST

My apologies. In a past post I implied that the Schwalbe Stelvios had a different crr value. My
mistake as I was looking at the wrong diameter. The Schwalbe has very low crr however we have not
yet studied the recovery rate of the tire under load. For simple comparisons of how well this tire
will roll down hill, the crr value is useful. Since the tires' ability to coast has nothing to do
with its' ability to pop back into shape, the crr value will not help completely in calculations
dealing with going up hill. Please find additional crr values.

406 tires Schwalbe Stelvio 130psi 0.0052 Schwalbe Stelvio 120psi 0.0054 Tioga Comp Pool 120psi
0.0065 Air Free Open Road 140psi 0.0066 Continental Grand Prix 140psi 0.0066 Continental Grand Prix
120psi 0.0067 Primo Comet 120psi 0.0070 Tioga Comp Pool 100psi 0.0071 Primo Comet 100psi 0.0074

451 tires Primo Comet 85psi .0065 IRC Roadlite 100psi .0069 Huchinson HP 90psi .0089 Raliegh Record
55psi .0113

Hugh

"Dennis Pedrick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> No thread assembly required :)>):
>
> 1) Lewis Campbell's rolldown test: Air Free Open Road prototype versus Primo Comet 451: Air Free
> 809 ft, Primo 808 ft. Standard deviation was probably about zero, therefore, Air Free's roll
> _slightly_ further.
>
> 2) John Lafford's rolling resistance (crr) tests: Primo Comet (100psi) = .0074, Primo Comet
> (120psi) = .0071, Comp Pool (100psi) = .0071, Comp Pool (120psi) = .0065, Vredestein S-Slick
> (100psi) = .0098, Vredestein Monte Carlo (100psi) = .0067, Vredestein Monte Carlo (120psi) =
> .0064
>
> Hugh Waters' Open Road tire crr number in the thread (in the thread Air Free > Tires Suck cont'd):
>
> "Our high resilient elastomer material has a crr of about .006 which makes it slower than the
> fastest tire but faster than the slowest tire, however the material resists being flat and its'
> rate of return is about one and half times faster than a comparably inflated rubber tire."

Until 5 years ago, I averaged 3 flats a week. Then, I got with it and installed very heavy
thorn-resistant tubes. I've had just two flats in the entire 5-year period since then. Also, with
their thickness, they ooze air more slowly and you don't have to pump them back up to top pressure
as often. My cycling life with these tough tubes is so much better and my choice of transportation
became very dependable.

Thorn-resistant tubes come in big boxes and usually have a "TR" added to their designation
number. I've never looked for any of them in the 20" aize, but you might be able to find
them at a shop that specializes in BMX bikes. However, BMX tires are usually wider than your
1 1/8" size, so you might have to mail-order them, depending on how large a city you are
near. It's very difficult to install the thick thorn-resistant tubes, if they are a wider
size than the tire.

Steve McDonald

Update:

These Schwalbe Marathons are the kevlar belted ones. (No wonder they cost so much!)

I just checked the back. Pulled 3 sharp chips of glass, all substantial, that had burrowed into the
rubber and not made it through to the tube. Guess I should check them more often.

Still, very good tire, and they have enough tread to work well in variable conditons, unlike
the comets. I never felt sure-footed on comets except on clean pavement, which is about 10% of
my riding.

The Marathons seem no slower on the rocket.

I went to my friendly "neighborhood" LBS today (an hour away) with high hopes of getting a nice tire
replacement (I came with IRC Roadlite EX's) for my GRR's front wheel. The guy didn't have a lot in
stock; what I wanted was a Kevlar belted 451 x 1
1/8 with a thorn proof tube... all he had (and what I ended up having put on) was a 1 3/8 Primo
Comet that is NOT Kevlar belted and which after on the rim, made it impossible for the fender to
living here in Hooterville.

Okay, tell me where I can order a Schwalbe Stelvio (451 x 1 1/8)... I need them before a 300+ mile
tour in 2 weeks.

Thanks!
--
Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

Chere, Are you back in Hooterville? Er...I mean Cumberland? I'm out of the tire you want, but I'm
putting in an order to Schwalbe on Tuesday.

Inc 1-800-586-6645 "chere" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I went to my friendly "neighborhood" LBS today (an hour away) with high hopes of getting a nice
> tire replacement (I came with IRC Roadlite EX's) for my GRR's front wheel. The guy didn't have a
> lot in stock; what I wanted was a Kevlar belted 451 x 1
> 1/8 with a thorn proof tube... all he had (and what I ended up having put on) was a 1 3/8 Primo
> Comet that is NOT Kevlar belted and which after on the rim, made it impossible for the fender to
> living here in Hooterville.
>
> Okay, tell me where I can order a Schwalbe Stelvio (451 x 1 1/8)... I need them before a 300+ mile
> tour in 2 weeks.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

Hi Jude; Yes,... back in beautiful "God's Country" (aka Cumberland).

You could try the Hostel Shop or Power On Cycling for a new 451 tire. I haven't dealth with Power On
Cycling but Hostel Shop should be able to get a tire to you well before you leave on your trip. FWIW
I have IRC Roadlites on my GRR and haven't had any trouble with them.

Try http://www.poweroncycling.com/

chere" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I went to my friendly "neighborhood" LBS today (an hour away) with high hopes of getting a nice
> tire replacement (I came with IRC Roadlite EX's) for my GRR's front wheel. The guy didn't have a
> lot in stock; what I wanted was a Kevlar belted 451 x 1
> 1/8 with a thorn proof tube... all he had (and what I ended up having put on) was a 1 3/8 Primo
> Comet that is NOT Kevlar belted and which after on the rim, made it impossible for the fender to
> living here in Hooterville.
>
> Okay, tell me where I can order a Schwalbe Stelvio (451 x 1 1/8)... I need them before a 300+ mile
> tour in 2 weeks.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

Hi David, Besides their lack of a Kevlar belt, the stock Roadlites were beginning to dry rot. My GRR
is less than a year old. Oh, well... I love to see that big brown UPS truck pull in my drive; then
it'll be a short trip to my (real) local LBS to have the tire and fender put on and I should be good
to go. Thanks very much!

--
Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

"chere" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I went to my friendly "neighborhood" LBS today (an hour away) with high hopes of getting a nice
> tire replacement (I came with IRC Roadlite EX's) for my GRR's front wheel. The guy didn't have a
> lot in stock; what I wanted was a Kevlar belted 451 x 1
> 1/8 with a thorn proof tube... all he had (and what I ended up having put on) was a 1 3/8 Primo
> Comet that is NOT Kevlar belted and which after on the rim, made it impossible for the fender to
> living here in Hooterville.
>
> Okay, tell me where I can order a Schwalbe Stelvio (451 x 1 1/8)... I need them before a 300+ mile
> tour in 2 weeks.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

First, I have to say that my LBS does not sell 'bents, but he is willing to order anything I can
spec. When my 451 IRC RoadLite EX suffered a tear right down to the casing a few weeks ago, I asked
my LBS to order another for me (I have a Primo Comet as a back up). He was unable to get a IRC
RoadLite for me, so we ordered a Schwalbe Stelvio. He had to look around for the Schwalbe
distributor, but found them and I quickly had the tire. No fuss, no muss. And I didn't have to deal
with finding a source and ordering and....

Support your LBS, that way they'll be around to support you when you really need it.

My $0.02 worth

<Chas> Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair

[email protected] (Steve McDonald) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> A recumbent on a wet day without a front fender is not a bowl of cherries. You could take the
> bus to the big city and buy a proper new tire, wearing it around your neck on the way back, as
> a fashion accessory. I've done this a few times and endured the jibes of the teenage cretins
> on board.

Steve, blunt objects and knives shut them up. ;)

p.s. Chere, you haven't seen hooterville if Sanibelle, or ANYWHERE in in MD is small town to you.
There is nowhere in MD more than 30 minutes from a major metro, > .5 million people, area. Now
the stupid liquor laws in MD...

Have they changed in the last 10-15 years, or do you still have to buy all liquor in liquor stores?
I had an interesting experience of going to Wash D.C. to buy beer on a Sunday, and having a bizarre
run in with the national park rangers. Very pleasent actually.

Bryan

> Steve McDonald

"<Chas>" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "chere" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I went to my friendly "neighborhood" LBS today (an hour away) with high hopes of getting a nice
> > tire replacement (I came with IRC Roadlite EX's) for my GRR's front wheel. The guy didn't have a
> > lot in stock; what I wanted was a Kevlar belted 451 x 1
> > 1/8 with a thorn proof tube... all he had (and what I ended up having put on) was a 1 3/8 Primo
> > Comet that is NOT Kevlar belted and which after on the rim, made it impossible for the fender
> > to go back on (it rubs). Needless to say, I'm not happy with this set-up but that's what I get
> > for living here in Hooterville.
> >
> > Okay, tell me where I can order a Schwalbe Stelvio (451 x 1 1/8)... I need them before a 300+
> > mile tour in 2 weeks.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --
> > Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD
> >
> First, I have to say that my LBS does not sell 'bents, but he is willing to order anything I can
> spec. When my 451 IRC RoadLite EX suffered a tear right down to the casing a few weeks ago, I
> asked my LBS to order another for me (I have a Primo Comet as a back up). He was unable to get a
> IRC RoadLite for me, so we ordered a Schwalbe Stelvio. He had to look around for the Schwalbe
> distributor, but found them and I quickly had the tire. No fuss, no muss. And I didn't have to
> deal with finding a source and ordering and....
>
> Support your LBS, that way they'll be around to support you when you really need it.

Been there, done that. They told me what I really wanted was a >$1000 mountain bike. Regardless of
the fact that I wanted a bent. Repeatedly. When "The Touring Cyclist" dies here in St. Louis I will
throw a party. Your invited along with any other bent rider within 2000 miles. The only bent dealer
in St Louis caries stock Vision parts. God help you if you want 1.5 or wider tires in 406.

Bryan

> My $0.02 worth
>
> <Chas> Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair

"There is nowhere in MD more than 30 minutes from a major metro"

Wanna bet??? Come to Cumberland!

As for liquor? Can't help you too much there as I'm a teetotaler but I see the stuff for sale all
over the place... maybe the laws are different in the D.C. area... D.C. may not have booze on Sunday
but they have 451s.... my "drug" of choice these days.

--
Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

Chas wrote "Support your LBS, that way they'll be around to support you when you really need it."

Precisely why I'm running around on a tire that's too big for the rim and without a fender... he
didn't have a 1 1/8 and I didn't have the heart to leave his business without making a purchase (he
already had the tire on the rim)... I really want to support these guys as I believe they're a dying
breed but I wish they'd have more in-store STOCK (especially for 'bents). This particular LBS even
carries Sun bike 'bents and has a home built 'bent; but alas, it was obvious the bill collectors are
nipping at his heels; so sadly, an overstocked store is not gonna happen for him in the near future.
Around here, many bike customers are going the WalMart route for their bike purchases, then complain
to the poor LBS when the assembly or maintenance bill is presented.

Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

A shiny new Schwalbe Stelvio was mounted on my Gold Rush yesterday - just about everyone (including
Gardener) recommended it. No white wall like the original and the rear tire though... that's okay.
Thanks again! Chere