Burning legs

just to add to the efficiency bit, efficiency is about 18 to 25 % in trained and elite cyclists and about 16 to 22% in untrained individuals.

because, the legs are constrained on the pedals, very little difference can be acheieved by the way that a person pedals (unlike e.g. running, where if you're anything like me your legs wobble all over the place), so little difference between trained and untrained riders.

ric

Originally posted by ricstern
i'm not sure if you're including everyone in the above, but i'm definitely using (one of) the correct definition of power

ric

Ric,

I don't want to seem pernickity.

I've re-read all of the mails in this thread and I see references being made to power etc.
I do think that people are posting messages using terms that
are generic to cycling and not defined in physics (or at least my recollection of physics definitions).

There is an absence of terminology like Force (the cause, or agent, that puts an object at rest into motion or alters the motion of a moving object), Energy (the measurement of activity to direct a Force) and Power (defined as work divided by time; time required to exert force over a distance).

Originally posted by limerickman
Ric,

I don't want to seem pernickity.

I've re-read all of the mails in this thread and I see references being made to power etc.
I do think that people are posting messages using terms that
are generic to cycling and not defined in physics (or at least my recollection of physics definitions).

There is an absence of terminology like Force (the cause, or agent, that puts an object at rest into motion or alters the motion of a moving object), Energy (the measurement of activity to direct a Force) and Power (defined as work divided by time; time required to exert force over a distance).

i can't recall if *i've* defined power in this thread. however, i've defined power in other threads, and use either work done/time, torque*velocity, or the sum of all the resistive forces needed to be overcome to travel at specific velocity under given conditions.

those, are the eqns of power as they relate to cycling. there maybe other ways of expressing power.

whether other people use the correct definition or not is not something i can 'control'.

ric

Originally posted by ricstern
i can't recall if *i've* defined power in this thread. however, i've defined power in other threads, and use either work done/time, torque*velocity, or the sum of all the resistive forces needed to be overcome to travel at specific velocity under given conditions.

those, are the eqns of power as they relate to cycling. there maybe other ways of expressing power.

whether other people use the correct definition or not is not something i can 'control'.

ric

I was only making the point that perhaps some people know what they mean when the use a phrase but this meaning can be lost because other people may be using the correct definition
of the phrase that is being used.
There was no personal criticism implied in my mail, of you.