Buying a mens bike, please help me decide what to get

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by nycbiker, Aug 4, 2013.

1. nycbiker

nycbiker New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to buy a new bike within the next week or two, and I don't really know what to go for. I had a few simple and cheap mountain bikes in my teenage years, but haven't had a bike since I was 20. I'm almost 30 now. Looking into bikes now, it seems there are so many choices (and price ranges) that I never even knew about, and that I don't know much about.

I live in New York. 95% of my biking will be on pavement. I will be ride it on the streets and in the parks. Occasionally I will want to use the bike on some unpaved gravel or dirt trails, but never rocky roads or through the woods. My purpose is for recreation and for exercise.

Therefore, I do not see any purpose for a mountain bike, and I'm looking at road bikes. I'm also considering the possibility of a hybrid bike, but I don't know much about them. I am approx 5'8 or 5'9, and weigh approx 150lbs.

Any ideas on what kind of bike I should get. I want something fairly light, though that's not the most important thing. I want multi-speeds, ability to manage hills, and good breaks. Other than that, I'm totally unsure of what specifications are right for me, or what the right size for me is.

Thanks!

Tags:

2. vspa

vspa Active Member

ok so you narrowed down to a road bike or a hybrid, check out these two out: hybrid with disc brakes http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/fitness/fx/7_4_fx_disc/#/us/en/model/details?url=us/en/bikes/road/fitness/fx/7_4_fx_disc classic road bike http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/sport/1_series/1_5/# before going any further you should test ride similar bikes to see the - huge - difference, its a complete different feel one from the other, if you can't find such an hybrid, a test ride on a mountain bike make do, its really the handlebars (and the stem length and angle, to a shorter degree) making all the difference from the rider fit/position point of view,

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

I'd suggest going to a number of bike shops, telling them what you're looking for in a bike, and then test riding their suggestions.

4. leroy1010

leroy1010 New Member

I want to ask do you like to build up a bike by yourself ? Many riders would like do,Because it also part of riding. It's a wonder work.

For the lightweight bike you must chose the carbon bike,And a road bike usually with 700C wheels,You can see the detail http://www.diy-carbonbike.com/

I suggest that if you like riding you must choce a carbon bike,Because it's so lightweight.

5. vspa

vspa Active Member

are people smuggling carbon frames and accessories from chinese factories ?

6. leroy1010

leroy1010 New Member

It is not smuggling, The product must go normal mark. But we can mark the parcel as GIFT and write a low value.Aslo sometimes this would not work. The products made in china.

7. Billywhite

Billywhite New Member

Well, according to statistics about the U.S. bicycle industry, 93% of bicycles sold in the United States are imported from China. Is that really true? I am happy with my German-made bike, though I wouldn't be surprised if some of the components on it came from China. Asking around in a bike shop might be a good idea! Seems like the cycling situation in NY is improving generally after the launch of the bike sharing scheme there.

8. leroy1010

leroy1010 New Member

93% ? It sounds so powerful.I don't konw the statistics data is true? But Chinese manufacturing industry has been very strong this is true.
    It would be really a good idea for asking around in a bike shop in NY,Many shopkeeper may consider Importof bicycles from China.[​IMG]And I have Sources and pathways.

9. Hillrider

Hillrider Banned

CCM makes good cheap bikes. Just make sure that the bottom bracket is tight and there are functioning brakes. I am thinking of getting a used ccm in the 50 dollar price mark.