Buying a spare back wheel for using on turbo trainer...

Gweilo

Jan 4, 2011
Hi,

I know very little about bikes other than riding them and have what is probably a stupid question.

I keep having to change the tire on my back wheel when changing from turbo trainer to on the road as just destroy the tire on the trainer. This is starting to annoy me (I'm lazy) and I want to buy a spare back wheel I can just put my trainer tire on and just swap the wheels.

Can I buy any back wheel or does it have to have the same gears and on it as my current wheel? I (think) I have a compressed cassette... with shimano ultegra stuff (yes I know that little about bikes...all I do is ride it - and not all that well either ha).

I just want a cheap wheel... would appreciate any thoughts on this haha

Please help! =)

Any back wheel with the same rim size (I'm guessing you're a roadie on 700c) and same cassette type for the freehub body will do. Most wheels are 9 and 10 speed Shimano compatible but double check that the ones you're interested in are. The most common exceptions are those intended for Campagnolo cassettes and Dura Ace wheels that were made a few years ago that only took Dura Ace 7800 cassettes - the splines on the cassette body are different.

After that you just need another cassette and possibly rim tape and you'll be good to go.