UK and Europe · Public discussion

Campag Proton Spoke Removal

Started by Simon Bennett · · Last activity · 8 posts · 467 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
5 February 2006
Last activity
7 February 2006
Original author
Simon Bennett
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
467
Views / 30 days
11

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Thanks to a rather inattentive motorist (who also fled the scene), my rear
    Proton wheel was squished last October. I'm now trying to rescue the parts
    that remain. I've got the non-drive side spokes off the hub, but I can't
    work out how to remove the drive side spokes. Do I need a special tool for
    the purpose?

  2. Simon Bennett said:

    Thanks to a rather inattentive motorist (who also fled the scene), my rear
    Proton wheel was squished last October. I'm now trying to rescue the parts
    that remain. I've got the non-drive side spokes off the hub, but I can't
    work out how to remove the drive side spokes. Do I need a special tool for
    the purpose?

    Have you tried the Campag website? I think they have service sheets for
    quite a few products available on there in .pdf format.

    David Belcher

  3. David E. Belcher said:

    Have you tried the Campag website? I think they have service sheets
    for quite a few products available on there in .pdf format.

    Yes, but the service instructions for the Proton doesn't cover spokes --
    only how to attach a cassette/ fit tyres.

  4. Simon Bennett said:

    Thanks to a rather inattentive motorist (who also fled the scene), my rear
    Proton wheel was squished last October. I'm now trying to rescue the parts
    that remain. I've got the non-drive side spokes off the hub, but I can't
    work out how to remove the drive side spokes. Do I need a special tool for
    the purpose?

    Can you explain the problem here? On the Neutrons I used to have, it didn't
    look difficult

    --
    Arthur Clune

  5. Arthur Clune said:

    Can you explain the problem here? On the Neutrons I used to have, it
    didn't look difficult

    Hi Arthur.

    Still can't work this out.

    The (straight-pull) spokes are captive within the hub in slots facing the
    cassette side. The slots are closed off by a metal plate to stop the spokes
    from dropping out sideways. I can't remove the metal plate. It looks like it
    should unscrew, but I can't see how it can as the spoke ends are held by
    'barrels' preventing them from pulling out through the hub body. These
    barrels prevent the plate from unscrewing

    I'll post a photo tomorrow once my wife returns from New York (with my
    camera).

  6. Simon Bennett said:
    Arthur Clune said:

    Can you explain the problem here? On the Neutrons I used to have, it
    didn't look difficult

    Hi Arthur.

    Still can't work this out.

    The (straight-pull) spokes are captive within the hub in slots facing the
    cassette side. The slots are closed off by a metal plate to stop the spokes
    from dropping out sideways. I can't remove the metal plate. It looks like it
    should unscrew, but I can't see how it can as the spoke ends are held by
    'barrels' preventing them from pulling out through the hub body. These
    barrels prevent the plate from unscrewing

    I'll post a photo tomorrow once my wife returns from New York (with my
    camera).


    give it a clean, judging from the parts manual there should be a circlip

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  7. M-gineering said:

    give it a clean, judging from the parts manual there should be a
    circlip

    Thanks Marten!

    <spokes all over the floor>

  8. Simon Bennett said:

    <spokes all over the floor>

    Result!

    --
    Arthur Clune

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.