Campagnolo Ultra-Torque SRM

I haven't heard any rumors to that effect. Someone has definitely dropped the ball at Campag re: SRM, but suspect it will be a while before they pick it up.

I seem to recall rumors/innuendo that Campy is waiting for SRM's patent to expire before coming out with their own PM.

I've no idea as to the validity of said rumor...

dkrenik said:
I seem to recall rumors/innuendo that Campy is waiting for SRM's patent to expire before coming out with their own PM.

I've no idea as to the validity of said rumor...

not that i've heard...

and didn't SRMs patent already run out a few years ago (i've no idea if they're renewable or something?)

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
not that i've heard...

and didn't SRMs patent already run out a few years ago (i've no idea if they're renewable or something?)

ric

There are so many good contributors on this forum now, and I check in less, but finally something I can contribute on. Patent law! Brilliant...

No way can you renew a Patent after the expiry of its term. You have to pay a small fee to keep it registered over the term (could be considered a renewal), but when it's over it's over. I think the SRM is now about 20 plus years old? That would mean its patent has expired in all jurisdictions...

Roadie_scum said:
There are so many good contributors on this forum now, and I check in less, but finally something I can contribute on. Patent law! Brilliant...

No way can you renew a Patent after the expiry of its term. You have to pay a small fee to keep it registered over the term (could be considered a renewal), but when it's over it's over. I think the SRM is now about 20 plus years old? That would mean its patent has expired in all jurisdictions...
i remember there was a post probably about a year talking about the srm patent expiring and to the best of my knowledge i think it has 2 more years.

I thought it expired last December. No matter, since it's not measuring at the chainwheel spider that's holding back most other powermeter manufacturers. The improvements they need to make are not blocked by patents.

Squint said:
I thought it expired last December. No matter, since it's not measuring at the chainwheel spider that's holding back most other powermeter manufacturers. The improvements they need to make are not blocked by patents.
Interesting. What do you see as the needed improvements on existing PM's that are not blocked by patents?

Roadie_scum said:

Did SRM ever have a US patent? What's the patent number?

RapDaddyo said:
Did SRM ever have a US patent? What's the patent number?
A search on the U.S. PTO site revealed nothing. Found Polar's though.

Campy has refused to cooperate with SRM so they are either planning their own or don't care about that market.