campy 10s and 9s compatability

findfix

Aug 10, 2003
I have just bought some Campy 10s bar end shifters for my steed, I am running 9s veloce and dont want to have to change,

I have found a replacement 9s indexing gear in the US but campy didnt make 9s bar ends after 2000 and i have been told that the old 9s is not compatable with 2000+ 9s....

What can i do to aid in compatability if anything

(changing to 10s drive is not an option just yet)

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

findfix said:
I have just bought some Campy 10s bar end shifters for my steed, I am running 9s veloce and dont want to have to change,

I have found a replacement 9s indexing gear in the US but campy didnt make 9s bar ends after 2000 and i have been told that the old 9s is not compatable with 2000+ 9s....

What can i do to aid in compatability if anything

(changing to 10s drive is not an option just yet)

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Well, campy 9 cog spacing is 4.55mm and 10 is 4.12. So 10 speed shifters no workee. Despite what 'campy says, all 9 speed campy is intercomaptible. A 10 speed veloce cassette and a 10 speed chain isn't that expensive, and that's all you need.

boudreaux said:
Well, campy 9 cog spacing is 4.55mm and 10 is 4.12. So 10 speed shifters no workee. Despite what 'campy says, all 9 speed campy is intercomaptible. A 10 speed veloce cassette and a 10 speed chain isn't that expensive, and that's all you need.

Thanx Bordreaux...

but does that mean that the old 2000 index gear within the shifter will work with a new 2000+ rear end?

also do i not have to change 9s crankset and rear mech if i change chain, I know campy website is full of BS for commercial reasons, but surely a 10s chain wont work with 9s stuff as it is thinner?

ignorance is bliss honest

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

findfix said:
Thanx Bordreaux...

but does that mean that the old 2000 index gear within the shifter will work with a new 2000+ rear end?

also do i not have to change 9s crankset and rear mech if i change chain, I know campy website is full of BS for commercial reasons, but surely a 10s chain wont work with 9s stuff as it is thinner?

ignorance is bliss honest

Everything works, including a 10 speed chain on an otherwise 9 speed setup.

boudreaux said:
Everything works, including a 10 speed chain on an otherwise 9 speed setup.

Cheers

your a star and you probably saved me a few quid.