Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Campy doubles and triples shifters?

Started by dabac · · Last activity · 10 posts · 1,121 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 February 2008
Last activity
25 February 2008
Original author
dabac
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,121
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi guys.

    I'm looking to buy some used Campy shifters, but being very much a Campy rookie there are things that are quite unclear to me. Ebay lists some front shifters as being for doubles only, but looking at catalouges I don't see any current shifters that are listed as either double or triple specific.

    So what's the deal here? Were there "double-only" campy shifters once, or are the ebay sellers even more clueless about Campy stuff than I am?

    (I am looking for somewhat older stuff, preferably front shifters w/o the "QS" function, 8 or 9 spd, of either generation.)

    Cheers,

    dabac

  2. dabac said:

    Hi guys.

    I'm looking to buy some used Campy shifters, but being very much a
    Campy rookie there are things that are quite unclear to me. Ebay lists
    some front shifters as being for doubles only, but looking at catalouges
    I don't see any current shifters that are listed as either double or
    triple specific.

    So what's the deal here? Were there "double-only" campy shifters once,
    or are the ebay sellers even more clueless about Campy stuff than I am?

    I don't know anything about the really old Campy stuff, but from 2000
    there is no difference in double or triple. In front you have, I think,
    9 or 10 clicks. For triple divided over 3 chainrings, for a double over
    two chainrings. The difference is in the front derauilleur.

    Quoted message said:


    (I am looking for somewhat older stuff, preferably front shifters w/o
    the "QS" function, 8 or 9 spd, of either generation.)

    w/o QS is wise. Why 8 speed?

    Lou

  3. On Feb 24, 3:00 pm, dabac <dabac.35a...@no-

    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com said:

    (I am looking for somewhat older stuff, preferably front shifters w/o
    the "QS" function, 8 or 9 spd, of either generation.)

    Eight and nine are different animals when it comes to the rear hub/
    cassettes.

    There are older, "pointy" style lever bodies/hoods, and newer,
    "roundies". I like the round ones better for comfort, but that's
    individual.

    The Centaur 9's I have, alu (not carbon fiber) levers and round hoods,
    work just as well as Record 8 and 9sp pointy's on my other bikes. You
    might find those NOS (sorry, I forgot a source I just saw the other
    day), with cables (saving some $$$). Cheaper cassettes and chains with
    9sp than for 10sp. 9sp cassettes might be available a little longer
    than 8, both are OOP from my understanding-- still very available,
    both of them.

    Branford (for one) has some Campy info you might find useful:

    http://tinyurl.com/3xxwr9

    Also, Campy brake QR's are located in the brake levers. You can keep
    brake calipers that have QR's on them but you might take advantage of
    brake QR's that work whether closed or left open by mistake <g>. --D-y

  4. Lou Holtman said:

    I don't know anything about the really old Campy stuff, but from 2000
    there is no difference in double or triple.

    All Ergopowers are triple-compatible, and I don't think any of the
    really really old stuff has indexing in front to make any difference
    either.

  5. Lou Holtman said:

    w/o QS is wise. Why 8 speed?


    I found a compatibility chart which stated that Campy 8 shifter + Shimano RD would index nicely with Shimano 5/6 speeds. One viable drivetrain option for the Frankenbike I'm hoping to put together.

    Another is Campy 9 and a shift mate to get the amount of wire pull right. But that would require going to a cassette hub, and more extensive mods to the bits I already have.

  6. [email hidden said:

    "]On Feb 24, 3:00*pm, dabac <dabac.35a...@no-

    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com said:

    (I am looking for somewhat older stuff, preferably front shifters w/o
    the "QS" function, 8 or 9 spd, of either generation.)

    Eight and nine are different animals when it comes to the rear hub/
    cassettes.

    There are older, "pointy" style lever bodies/hoods, and newer,
    "roundies". I like the round ones better for comfort, but that's
    individual.

    The Centaur 9's I have, alu (not carbon fiber) levers and round hoods,
    work just as well as Record 8 and 9sp pointy's on my other bikes. You
    might find those NOS (sorry, I forgot a source I just saw the other
    day), with cables (saving some $$$). Cheaper cassettes and chains with
    9sp than for 10sp. 9sp cassettes might be available a little longer
    than 8, both are OOP from my understanding-- still very available,
    both of them.

    Branford (for one) has some Campy info you might find useful:

    http://tinyurl.com/3xxwr9

    Also, Campy brake QR's are located in the brake levers. You can keep
    brake calipers that have QR's on them but you might take advantage of
    brake QR's that work whether closed or left open by mistake <g>. --D-y

    OOP?

    Thanks for the link. I've been to the Branford site before, and I recognise the headlines but those pages don't open on my computer when accessed from the Braford catalouge. Gotta remember to bookmark that link...

  7. quote='A R:nen'Lou Holtman said:

    I don't know anything about the really old Campy stuff, but from 2000
    there is no difference in double or triple.

    All Ergopowers are triple-compatible, and I don't think any of the
    really really old stuff has indexing in front to make any difference
    either.[/QUOTE]

    Thanks. I thought so from the catalogues I've read, but I wasn't sure. A bit intimidating that the people selling this stuff don't know better though.

  8. On Feb 25, 4:40 am, dabac <dabac.35c...@no-

    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Feb 24, 3:00*pm, dabac <dabac.35a...@no-
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    (I am looking for somewhat older stuff, preferably front shifters


    w/o

    Quoted message said:

    the "QS" function, 8 or 9 spd, of either generation.)

    Quoted message said:

    Eight and nine are different animals when it comes to the rear hub/
    cassettes.

    Quoted message said:

    There are older, "pointy" style lever bodies/hoods, and newer,
    "roundies". I like the round ones better for comfort, but that's
    individual.

    Quoted message said:

    The Centaur 9's I have, alu (not carbon fiber) levers and round hoods,
    work just as well as Record 8 and 9sp pointy's on my other bikes. You
    might find those NOS (sorry, I forgot a source I just saw the other
    day), with cables (saving some $$$). Cheaper cassettes and chains with
    9sp than for 10sp. 9sp cassettes might be available a little longer
    than 8, both are OOP from my understanding-- still very available,
    both of them.

    Quoted message said:

    Branford (for one) has some Campy info you might find useful:

    Quoted message said:

    http://tinyurl.com/3xxwr9

    Quoted message said:

    Also, Campy brake QR's are located in the brake levers. You can keep
    brake calipers that have QR's on them but you might take advantage of
    brake QR's that work whether closed or left open by mistake <g>.  --D-y

    OOP?

    Thanks for the link. I've been to the Branford site before, and I
    recognise the headlines but those pages don't open on my computer when
    accessed from the Braford catalouge. Gotta remember to bookmark that
    link...

    out of production.

    My intended triple project (8sp Record brifters, Racing Triple f.
    derailleur, Veloce 3x crank, Record 111BB, and medium rear
    derailleur) has been on the Gurney for a couple of years now (saving
    me from climbing the bad hills with it), but Campy left brifters work
    with triple front derailleurs.

    Saw mention of "have to buy a cassette hub".

    Suggest you post a more thorough description of what you have and
    where you want to go with it.

    I'm not a Frankenguy but they lurk and post here.

    Also suggest that cassette hubs did solve a problem-- axle breakage in
    126mm axles (OLD).

    Further not "trying to spend your money but": 9sp is fertile ground
    for mixing body parts.

    Ten speed might be, also:

    Even though I said not Franken ("steen!!!"😉 ("what hump"?), I did
    recently have a rear wheel built with Ultegra hub (past generation,
    ebay cheapie) and Ultegra 10sp cassette (also a successful scrounge),
    which seems to work perfectly, no adj. req., on the Wifenbike (recent
    Centaur group, 10sp CS brifters) (nope, don't like the CS). Which
    saved me a $150-250 compared to raiding the catacombs for an OOP 28h
    9/10 Campy hub and current-production Campy 10sp cluster to go on
    it. --D-y

  9. [email hidden said:

    "]
    Suggest you post a more thorough description of what you have and
    where you want to go with it.

    OK, here goes(in some sort of priority):
    1) Set up a commuter with bullhorn bars and Campy brifters. Bullhorn because I see how much use the barends on my MTB are getting. Campy brifters because the wire routing is elegant and leaves space open for a bar-mounted bike bag.
    2) I'd like to stay at 9 speeds and Shimano compatibility due to lower prices and to tie in with other stuff I already have. Comfortably priced parts makes it easier to keep up with the maintenance on an all-weather commuter.
    3) I've got a composite rear wheel that I'd like to use. Better braking than on alloy rims and a plush ride at high pressures but not enough gears for the intended use.
    Running a soft indexing front shifter would let me use a front triple, or maybe even a quad to expand the ratio some.
    4) If 3 doesn't work out well enough I might be able to do a hub transplant on the composite wheel, and either stick a body hub or a freewheel hub there.
    5/6 speed frewheels are said to index nicely with Campy 8, while Campy 9 and a shift mate would work well with stuff I already got. Due to OLD issues preference might go to 5/6 speed freewheels, while sheer usage preferences would go to 9 speed body.

  10. That's correct. I've been using it since the mid-90's and there has never
    been any indexing specific to double or triple at least since the 8-speed
    variety of Ergo on.
    This is (one) of the really cool things about Campy Ergo vs. Shimano. The
    other one at the top of my list is rebuild-ability;-]

    -pete

    "A R:nen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Lou Holtman said:

    I don't know anything about the really old Campy stuff, but from 2000
    there is no difference in double or triple.

    All Ergopowers are triple-compatible, and I don't think any of the
    really really old stuff has indexing in front to make any difference
    either.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.