campy ultra-torque bearing seals

LewisBricktop

Sep 10, 2006
the black seal in between the bearing and the crank on my centaur UT setup is chewed up, though the bearings have been replaced recently and are in good shape. the bearings look like they are sealed well enough without the separate black seal so i'm not too worried about it, but that's just my guess.

is this something i should be concerned about? i know that they can't be replaced without pulling the bearings off the crank, which then requires installing new bearings, so i don't want to do anything unless it's actually an issue.

There are two seals, one on the outboard side of the bearing unit and the black one which sits outside the bearing unit. I suspect it is there to slow the ingress of water into the bearing cup.

If it is ragged at the edge it probably won't be very effective, but I doubt (even if it is in top nick) that it would contact the edge of the cup all the way round. I regularly (once per two months or so) remove the cranks to inspect them; I usually make sure there is plenty of grease around the bearings to prevent water getting to important surfaces; and I don't ride out in the rain very much.

tafi said:
If it is ragged at the edge it probably won't be very effective, but I doubt (even if it is in top nick) that it would contact the edge of the cup all the way round. I regularly (once per two months or so) remove the cranks to inspect them; I usually make sure there is plenty of grease around the bearings to prevent water getting to important surfaces; and I don't ride out in the rain very much.

Works for me. I'll check it after a few hundred miles (or next rather wet ride) and throw some more grease in it. I figured the red seal would be sufficient even with the separate black one on the outs, so I guess we'll see.

LewisBricktop said:
the black seal in between the bearing and the crank on my centaur UT setup is chewed up, though the bearings have been replaced recently and are in good shape. the bearings look like they are sealed well enough without the separate black seal so i'm not too worried about it, but that's just my guess.

is this something i should be concerned about? i know that they can't be replaced without pulling the bearings off the crank, which then requires installing new bearings, so i don't want to do anything unless it's actually an issue.

Lots of grease around the bearing, in the cup will help seal things. With a proper puller you can take the bearings off and reinstall w/o killing them. Have a shop that has the seals and a proper tool kit? And also 'qui si parla Campagnolo'?