Can anyone explain how Landis benefited?

[email protected] wrote:
>> Tere wrote:
>>

>> "I know in the production of insulin (I have diabetes), there is a
>> precursor called pre-insulin (creative name, eh?) It is an insulin
>> molecule with a peptide attached. The final step is to break off the
>> peptide. So for evey insulin molecule produced, there is a C-peptide
>> produced as well. Testing for C-peptide is a way to tell if one is
>> still producing insulin and how much. That is useful for deteriming
>> how far along it is. Some Type 1's can produce insulin for as long as a
>>
>> year after the initial onset of the disease. Some Type 2's can have
>> insulin resistance and be over-producing insulin (and C-peptide). "

> As a diabetic I am sure you are well aware of the significant effect
> alcohol can have on hormones (insulin). T and E being hormones can
> have their balances effected by alcohol also. Not surprisingly that
> has been found to be the case, particularly E. See:
> http://dirtragmag.com/forums/showpost.php?p=112477&postcount=13

Yes. Alcohol basically "occupies" the liver's full capacity, keeping it
from doing any other functions. One thing the liver does is release
stored glucose (glycogen) in response to glucogon secretion caused by
low blood glucose levels. In people with diabetes, that means blood
glucose levels can drop dnagerously low iwithout the counter-regulatory
action of the glucogon.

Tom Kunich wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Abusing it over the long-term supresses it. The endocrine system gives
> > up. "Why bother making it?" says the body. The abuser becomes
> > dependent on it.

> I suppose there's never going to be the question in your head as to why
> someone would take a hormone that tests have shown only to be effective in
> long term as an overnight drug.
>
> Of note - on that Bob Roll conversation noted yesterday we heard Bob Roll
> saying that testosterone didn't have any short term effects. Do you suppose
> Roll is lying or that in all his time in the peloton when testosterone was
> readily available he never learned anything about it?

Tom, read the entire post before you respond. Yes, there is that
question in my head, which is why I've thought about other reasons why
exogenous testosterone might be in his system. "Someone spiked my
water bottle" is akin to the dog eating your homework.

Have you ever considered that since the T/E ratios were OK on his
previous samples, that they never bothered to test them for synthetics?
What if Floyd were to demand they go back and do the isotope test on
his other samples as well?

What if his body does not produce enough testosterone naturally to keep
his body functioning properly? He'd need to take supplements. But
reporting that on your medical dossier is a strong indication of past
steroid abuse.

It might be that most of the testosterone found in his body (in every
prior urine test) was exogenous. But if the ratios are good, they are
not permitted to conduct that test according to UCI rules.

> > As a diabetic I am sure you are well aware of the significant effect
> > alcohol can have on hormones (insulin). T and E being hormones can
> > have their balances effected by alcohol also. Not surprisingly that
> > has been found to be the case, particularly E. See:
> > http://dirtragmag.com/forums/showpost.php?p=112477&postcount=13

> Yes. Alcohol basically "occupies" the liver's full capacity, keeping it
> from doing any other functions. One thing the liver does is release
> stored glucose (glycogen) in response to glucogon secretion caused by
> low blood glucose levels. In people with diabetes, that means blood
> glucose levels can drop dnagerously low iwithout the counter-regulatory
> action of the glucogon.

What was your reaction to the synopsis on the website:

Thomas A. Fine wrote:

> GAH! Doesn't anybody read my postings? I can't say for sure that the
> test was wrong, but I can say for sure that it can NOT definitively
> "find" syntehtic testosterone in anyone ever at all period.
>

> If some readers are wondering why I've changed gears, I haven't. I've
> never been super pro-Floyd (or anti). This for me has been more about
> a pure pursuit of the truth.
>
> Ok, nobody believed that. Fine, I don't trust WADA, and THAT's what
> my motivation is, not so much helping Floyd (although IF he is innocent
> then I certainly want to help).
>
> tom

Tom,

It seems you have done good work on this issue. Have you considered
writing a paper for publication, or perhaps at the least sending your
thoughts to important, influential people? Unfortunately, posting on RBR
does little good in getting to the truth.

Wayne