Can I use an old friction shifter with

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0

Guest
SRAM ESP MTB rear derailleur? I know these pull 1:1 unlike Shimanos, but
with friction, would that make any difference?

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 wrote:
> SRAM ESP MTB rear derailleur? I know these pull 1:1 unlike Shimanos, but
> with friction, would that make any difference?

It means you have to move the lever twice as far. On my touring bike
with downtube shifters, 6-speed freewheel and ESP derailleur, 180
degree range of rotation on the lever is needed to change through the
six gears. This is fine, but if you have thumb shifters, or 8/9 speed,
you might find it tricky to move the lever far enough with your thumb
to engage the lowest gears.

On the other hand, finding the right gear is much easier as there is a
much greater range over which the level is "in gear".

I must say that I really like this setup, the ESP derailleur (mine is a
5.0) feels really smooth, gear changes are precise and effortless
(and, of course, it never needs adjusting).

Andrew Webster.

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 wrote:
> SRAM ESP MTB rear derailleur? I know these pull 1:1 unlike Shimanos, but
> with friction, would that make any difference?

Bell,
You'll have to experiment. I've had some problems with some friction
shifters and SRAM rear ders; others have been more or less OK. When
they don't work, the shift lever either bottoms out or tops out; too
much cable take up required. I decided to make life easy, and use the
Suntour, Shimano, and Campy rear ders in my parts bin and friction
shifters.

Allthe best,
Larry

On 9 Dec 2006 13:26:00 -0800, "Andrew W" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 wrote:
>> SRAM ESP MTB rear derailleur? I know these pull 1:1 unlike Shimanos, but
>> with friction, would that make any difference?

>It means you have to move the lever twice as far.

I had a "problem" like this once -- a downtube shifter with not enough
lever pull for my taste and I fixed it... but can't quite remember
how. I think I put some sort of tube over the cable where it wrapped
around the lever to increase the diameter. Maybe it was shifter cable
lining. It didn't double the pull, but increased it a little bit which
was nice. Sorry I can't remember more details.
--
JT
****************************

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 18:55:44 GMT, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0"
<[email protected]> may have said:

>SRAM ESP MTB rear derailleur? I know these pull 1:1 unlike Shimanos, but
>with friction, would that make any difference?

Yes, it makes a difference, but the only way to find out if it's going
to work is to try it. The total amount of cable throw available with
a typical downtube friction lever that has range stops is not going to
be enough to move that der through the full range required to shift to
all of the gears on the setup you describe, so be prepared to need a
different shifter to make this work.