Can not for the life of me get this freaking FD aligned *PIC*. Need help!

Skoorb

Jan 9, 2007
New bike. Dura-ace bar end shifters with an ultegra front derailleur. The RD was no problem at all. Got the tension on the cable right and it's golden.

This front, though, refuses to work. If I have it such that I can be in the 39 front and 23 back, the tension is so light that I cannot even get to the big ring at all. If I want to be on the big ring for any gears whatsoever, my top rear gears are all rubbing if I try the small ring again.

I have tried raising and tilting the FD and everything but it's almost as if there is simply not enough movement in it to properly support what it needs to do; it just doesn't seem to move through its range of motion very far. The bar-end shifter does click between the two rings, and when on the big one if I pull it extra far, I can feel plenty of extra tension, but that doesn't make the FD move any further out.

Before anybody asks, it was bought online, so there is no store to go go and I will not pay a mechanic to finish this unless I can first proove to myself it's absolutely necessary. Thanks for any ideas!!

fd_ultegra.jpg

1. Disconnect the FD cable at the FD.
2 . Set the Low Limit screw so the chain just kisses the FD cage in 23-39, low/Low
3. Set the RD in High, 11, and push the FD pivot by hand to shift the chain onto the bigring, adjust the High limit sscrew so the FD Cage Stops midway over the 53 tooth cog. Now allow the FD to return to the 39 t ring.
4. With the FD at the Low stop connect the FD cable, operate the lever to lift the derailleur and fine tune the High Limit Screw to prevent over shifting and droping the chain.
5, If that don't work, bring it over.

/\/\/\ Pretty much but here is what I do

Set the low limit with no cable on.
Install the cable.
Tighten until it will shift into the big ring.
If you have a barrel adjuster (in which case you are a lucky sod) fine tune it so it won't rub on gears that you want (but you shouldn't crosschain anyway.)
make sure it still shifts into the big ring.
set the high limit so it just shifts into the big ring, then loosen another half-turn
you should be right.

And MAKE SURE THE CABLE IS ROUTED THE RIGHT WAY (I've seen this mistake made a couple of times)

1) Thanks, I had SOMEHOW missed that screw. I just picked up the manual and it's there--I'll follow the advice above.

2) I routed the cable external to the bar ends similar to the manual pics, but I've not actually tapped the cables to the bar ends yet.

3) There was a small black plastic straw that the manufacturer had taped to the bottom bracket area, presumably as an extra guide for the FD cable as it comes out of the bottom bracket, just before attaching to the FD. Do I need to feed the cable through it?

Anyway, I stayed up crazy late last night, so will have to attack this when I get home. I wish I was sick today to stay home, but alas I'm not!

Thanks, guys, now I can at least sit at work and still have the hope of a test-ride tonight. Besides an untrue rear wheel, this is the last thing that needs fiddling with :)

Loosen the "low" screw so the small ring and large cassette cog works fine, then adjust tension on the cable.

I bet I can guess what bike that is with just that picture. Is it a Fuji Aloha?

Edit-I'm going to go one step further and say its a 2006 model year.

All is well. It's now shifting nicely! Should I use that little straw that came with it and feed the cable through it where it goes through the bottom bracket?

ToffoIsMe said:
Well was I right with my make/model/year guess? I wanna know. :p
Yes and no! It's a motobecane nemesis, but I am pretty sure its frame is the same as the Aloha 2.0 (maybe 06, but the 07 line has, I think, the same frame). The bike has the aloha 2.0 frame (I think) and yet basically the same parts as the 1.0 (small differences).