Can someone explain this TT position (Eric Wohlberg):

"Amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Kraig Willett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Lower isn't _always_ necessarily better, though, is it? Some frontal
area
> > measurements I did of Matt DeCanio earlier this year tend to confirm
this.
> > The method I used to document frontal area was similar to the one I did
on
> > myself at:
> >

> In fact Eric is seems to be using a more upright position than I've seen him use in the past.
> Perhaps he opened up his position because of the amount of climbing this year's TT involved.
>
> He does use 700C wheels currently (contrary to what Jame says), in some other pictures you can see
> he is even lower and the top of his wheel projects between his aerobars.

According to Cervelo, Saturn insisted that he go to 700C wheels for compatibility reasons...that may
explain the slightly higher position.

Andy Coggan

> Well judging by that photo I'm wondering why he doesn't stuff his
cigarette
> packs up his jersey sleeve like everybody else? And why has he chosen to
stick
> one up *EACH* side of his shorts for a relatively short ITT?

> >Ah... irony. We don't get irony around here anymore.
> >
> >Anyway, once he sits down he looks a little more like this:
> >http://www.canoe.ca/PanAmImages/jul25_15.jpg

What did Jim say about irony?

The pic linked to above was from the PanAm TT...which, IIRC, was 50k, i.e, plenty long enough that a
couple of gel packs stuffed up the shorts was a good idea.

Andy Coggan

Can someone explain why he has two bar end shifters and a right side STI?

-Andy

> Is that a Ergostem hes using and are his bars almost touching his front wheel?

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/races03/roadnationals/itt/elitemen/pages/DSC_
0051.htm

> His "Lemond" is a Cervelo correct? Does his bike have a headtube?

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/races03/roadnationals/itt/elitemen/pages/DSC_
52.htm

> BTW he demolished the field at the Canadian TT Championships.

Referring to Wohlberg's setup for the Canadian TT champs, "Andy Birko" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...

> Can someone explain why he has two bar end shifters and a right side STI?

Two possibilities:

1) he threw on the STI lever for this race only, and just left the bar end shifter in its usual
place (didn't have a bar end plug handy, maybe).

2) he has them both connected to the rear derailleur using one of the triathlete-oriented cable
splitters, thus allowing him to shift from both positions.

Either way, the answer is "because the course was hilly".

Andy Coggan

In article <[email protected]>,
I. Sherburne <[email protected]> wrote:
>A few notes:
>
>Eric uses Profile Design aerobars and cowhorns.
>
>His bike has 700c wheels.
>
>By keeping both a bar-end and an STI shifter on his bike, it's easy to set up whichever one he
>prefers for the course. Only one rear shifter is connected to the derailleur at a time. The
>weight disadvantage is minimal, and it saves having to remount a standard brake lever and re-wrap
>the bars.
>
>-IS

Then how do you explain the vision tech bars with the look stem option?

Scott
--
-*- Scott Patton -*- Colorado Springs, CO -*- http://www.FixedGearFever.com -*- Track Racing
Web Services

"scott patton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> I. Sherburne <[email protected]> wrote:
> >A few notes:
> >
> >Eric uses Profile Design aerobars and cowhorns.
> >
> >His bike has 700c wheels.
> >
> >By keeping both a bar-end and an STI shifter on his bike, it's easy to
set up
> >whichever one he prefers for the course. Only one rear shifter is
connected to
> >the derailleur at a time. The weight disadvantage is minimal, and it
saves
> >having to remount a standard brake lever and re-wrap the bars.
> >
> >-IS
>
> Then how do you explain the vision tech bars with the look stem option?

That's what he used to use on his 650C wheeled Cervelo. I have no insight into why he didn't stick
with them when he moved to the 700C version, but it could be any number of reasons, e.g.,
sponsorship issues, they eventually failed, were too long on the new bike, etc.

Andy Coggan

> "scott patton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > I. Sherburne <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >A few notes:
> > >
> > >Eric uses Profile Design aerobars and cowhorns.
> > >
> > >His bike has 700c wheels.
> > >
> > >By keeping both a bar-end and an STI shifter on his bike, it's easy to
> set up
> > >whichever one he prefers for the course. Only one rear shifter is
> connected to
> > >the derailleur at a time. The weight disadvantage is minimal, and it
> saves
> > >having to remount a standard brake lever and re-wrap the bars.
> > >
> > >-IS
> >
> > Then how do you explain the vision tech bars with the look stem option?
>
> That's what he used to use on his 650C wheeled Cervelo. I have no insight into why he didn't stick
> with them when he moved to the 700C version, but
it
> could be any number of reasons, e.g., sponsorship issues, they eventually failed, were too long on
> the new bike, etc.

Someone posted that the team wanted him to change. Sounds reasonable to me, team support *hates*
650C. Nothing but problems (because of incompatibility, not performance).

"I. Sherburne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Then how do you explain the vision tech bars with the look stem option?
>
> I don't quite understand what your question. Would you like me to explain
how
> the Visiontech bars work? Or just that they exist?

Why don't you just disclose what your relationsip to Eric is? I reckon that would help
everyone involved.

From memory, you have something to do with the Saturn organization (or did at one time) and,
therefore, have a vested interest in this discussion of brands used by Saturn riders. Perhaps you
could clarify this for us?

Who is the official TT bar sponsor of Saturn, and did this have anything to do with Eric's decision
to change bars this year? Hmm... The website says one of Saturns sponsors is Profile - gee, I guess
I answered my own question. IMHO, as a user of profile bars and having photographed the VT bars, I
reckon Eric was forced to change bars to be "sponsor" correct.

So, this begs the next question: why are some Saturn riders allowed to ride non-sponsor product
(Cervelo frames, Nimble wheels, etc..) during competition? Are there special clauses in the
contracts from the different sponsors?

If I was a Saturn sponsor, I would get ****** when the dough I was spending to have the team on _my_
product was being wasted, let alone flaunted in front of my face on race day and rbt.

-kraig

My bad, then.

I must have this Ian Sherburne confused with the former chief mechanic of Saturn.

Sponsor mentalities are still amusing to me, though.

-kraig

"Kraig Willett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Kraig Willett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Sponsor mentalities are still amusing to me, though.
>
> Strike that, with Kurgan's permission, of course.
>
> I would add the word "Equipment" in front of that sentence.
>
> -kraig

Kraig,

FWIW, I believe Saturn has some sort of relationship with Cervelo. I know that the Saturn
Development Team rides them. Perhaps Andy can offer some insight.

I think they are pretty much Shimano exclusive wheel-wise, but I have seen their riders on other
wheels for time trials. Perhaps the theory is that TT's are seen by fewer people(?)-since nobody
cares about them ; )

Joey

> Permission not granted.

Bummer.

> I would like you to cite specific equipment sponsors (other than the aforementioned Trek) which
> amuse you.

Well, I reckon I could just give you the answer, but that wouldn't be nearly as entertaining for me.

So, here is the obtuse answer (yet satisfies your criteria above, if you are clever enough) to your
question in the form of another question: What is the total number of teams that were 100% sponsor
correct (in terms of wheel usage) during this years Redlands Rubidoux TT stage?

And, yes, I counted and cataloged each rider that started that day -> check out the article titled
"4/7/2003 - Wheels at the Redlands Bicycle Classic - What are the Pro's Using?"

at:

http://tinyurl.com/3x36

-kraig

"Kraig Willett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Permission not granted.
>
> Bummer.
>

> > I would like you to cite specific equipment sponsors (other than the aforementioned Trek) which
> > amuse you.
>
> Well, I reckon I could just give you the answer, but that wouldn't be nearly as
> entertaining for me.
>
> So, here is the obtuse answer (yet satisfies your criteria above, if you are clever enough) to
> your question in the form of another question: What is the total number of teams that were 100%
> sponsor correct (in terms of wheel usage) during this years Redlands Rubidoux TT stage?

zero?

"Joey D'Antoni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Kraig Willett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Kraig Willett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > Sponsor mentalities are still amusing to me, though.
> >
> > Strike that, with Kurgan's permission, of course.
> >
> > I would add the word "Equipment" in front of that sentence.
> >
> > -kraig
>
> Kraig,
>
> FWIW, I believe Saturn has some sort of relationship with Cervelo. I know that the Saturn
> Development Team rides them. Perhaps Andy can offer some insight.
>
> I think they are pretty much Shimano exclusive wheel-wise, but I have seen their riders on other
> wheels for time trials. Perhaps the theory is that TT's are seen by fewer people(?)-since nobody
> cares about them ; )
>
> Joey

I thought that Saturn was using Cervelos rebadged as Lemonds?

-T