Can someone help me identify this bicycle.

onmywayRN

Dec 5, 2005
Hello.
I just got this bike. I know nothing about bikes, or cycling but been wanting to get a bike for cardio. I talked to some people that were into bikes and was told to get a Cannondale. So at the local bike shop I found this bike for $200.
It's a Cannondale. It says Athena on it but could not find any information on the net about a Cannondale Athena. Does anyone know where to get some information? I am told this bike is about 8 years old. I could not find a serial number or anything like it. I would definetly like to know more about it. Here is a picture of the bike.
Thanks

onmywayRN said:
Hello.
I just got this bike. I know nothing about bikes, or cycling but been wanting to get a bike for cardio. I talked to some people that were into bikes and was told to get a Cannondale. So at the local bike shop I found this bike for $200.
It's a Cannondale. It says Athena on it but could not find any information on the net about a Cannondale Athena. Does anyone know where to get some information? I am told this bike is about 8 years old. I could not find a serial number or anything like it. I would definetly like to know more about it. Here is a picture of the bike.
Thanks

It's a 2.8 or 3.0 judging by the cantilevered dropouts (the unusual way that the rear wheel goes in the frame). Those were a problem on some frames so keep an eye on them, otherwise good bikes, fun to ride.

DiabloScott said:
It's a 2.8 or 3.0 judging by the cantilevered dropouts (the unusual way that the rear wheel goes in the frame). Those were a problem on some frames so keep an eye on them, otherwise good bikes, fun to ride.
Thanks Scot.
It's actually a 3.0. Is that the model number. How can I do a search on the internet ? Does it sound like the bike is 8 yrs old or older ?
Thanks

onmywayRN said:
Thanks Scot.
It's actually a 3.0. Is that the model number. How can I do a search on the internet ? Does it sound like the bike is 8 yrs old or older ?
Thanks
There's a serial number on the bottom of the right chain stay. The 6th and 7th digits are the last two numbers of the year it was made in. The 3.0 was made in the late 80's - early 90's. Judging by the Cannondale decal being on the top tube rather than the down tube, I would guess befor '91 or so.

onmywayRN said:
Thanks Scot.
Thanks

The 3.0 is a series number - there were multiple models of 3.0 but they usually didn't put anything else on the frame. So there may have been the 3.0 sport, the 3.0 comp, the 3.0 tourer... etc. That's about all I can tell you but searching on Cannondale 3.0 will get you tons of stuff to sort through.

From the paint job it almost looks like it was a "neutral service" bike that would be used as a loaner at a race after a crash. I don't think I've seen another paint job like that, but it is Campy blue.

DiabloScott said:
The 3.0 is a series number - there were multiple models of 3.0 but they usually didn't put anything else on the frame. So there may have been the 3.0 sport, the 3.0 comp, the 3.0 tourer... etc. That's about all I can tell you but searching on Cannondale 3.0 will get you tons of stuff to sort through.
3.0 is the tube set. Some time around 1990 it's overlapped with the current model numbering: A letter for the type (Racing, Touring...) and a number for the component level.

That is a stock Cannondale paint job. The bike came with the first (and then later the second) iteration of Campy index shifting (terrible) in the form of lumpy downtube shifters. The group on it was the Campagnolo Athena group, hence the name. It seems the brakes, hubs, brake levers, seatpost, cranks are original. I would guess the wheels are original too. The aero bar setup is not factory - it originally came with Cinelli bars/stem.

The original Campy "aero" brake levers can be set to aero cable or non-aero cable (i.e. sticking up out of the hood). The non-aero setup is much more responsive as the cable as a straight path to follow.

It is the 3.0 frameset. I believe it was an R1000 at the time?

We sold a few of them in their day.