GuyNoir said:Here is the deal: I finished my first Century ride yesterday (modest 6:05 to complete) in S. Michigan / N. Indiana. And the thing I found out was that I cannot climb to save my life (even on the releatively mild rolling hills of MI/IN), and that there is no place here in Chicago that I can go to change that. Short of getting a MTN Bike and start stair climbing :eek:
That being said, what can I do to learn how to climb? I caught the Measuring Power on the Cheap (cyclingforums.comt367268.htmlOpen ↗) thread and thought that may be a way. But Having never really had to climb, I cannot say that I even have a clue on how to properly address climbing. Short of pedal like hell, keep the RPM up and gear down if the cadence drops below 80rpm. When to sit, when to stand, and hand position are pretty much lost on me, right now.
Any advice?
-GN
First thing, your gearing probably sucks for climbing since the LBS in your area are probably specing their bikes with straight block gearing and you might only have a 39/21 as your granny. Great for lakeshore drive, but a newbie doing a hilly century needs either a Triple, compact crankset, or at least a 25 granny if a conventional 53/42 crankset. Even if you are riding a 23 as your biggest ring in the back (unless it is a compact crankset), you are going to be hurting on this type of ride unless you're an animal, or are really acclimated to hills. If over age 40, switch clusters on your next hilly century to a 27 granny, and you will spin right up those hills.
As far as training. I ride in SE PA, in a pretty hilly area, but I do train sometimes in South Jersey (super flat). When they visit our turf, The guys in South Jersey still can climb (provided their bike is set up right) even though they train in the flats. Back when six speed straight blocks sometimes had no ring larger than a 17 (circa 1988), it was funny watching them climb the infamous Manayunk Wall. I still see guys doing similar hills on fixed gear set ups. When I am down in the pine barrens for a week or so, I do miss real hills, so eventually you can learn to master climbs. So here is what I do. You can simulate climbing with a spin bike by cranking the tension up- I do seated "climbs" and standing "climbs". I have even tried to simulate it by pushing too big gears on a flat road while trying to keep the speed up. Spinnervals has an uphill grind tape that tries to simulate hills on a trainer. It is pretty good. If I am riding hard in Jersey for a few weeks, I can hit the hills back home without missing a beat. Finally, hook up with a Chicago area riding club. I am sure that they have routes over what little hills your area has, and you will start to get the hang of it. Finally, power to weight is key. Get lighter or get stronger. If you can do both, the battle is won.