General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Can't say I've noticed it before

Started by Andy Crawford · · Last activity · 12 posts · 557 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 June 2005
Last activity
14 June 2005
Original author
Andy Crawford
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
557
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble in
    the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :-)
    Silva in Livingston have ignored my emails and I'll be d****d if I'll spend
    money on a phone call to more than likely get 'shunted' from one department
    to another!
    Anyone got an answer?
    --
    Regards

    Andy

    www.chiadfhear.co.uk

  2. Andy Crawford said:

    I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble in
    the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :-)
    Silva in Livingston have ignored my emails and I'll be d****d if I'll spend
    money on a phone call to more than likely get 'shunted' from one department
    to another!
    Anyone got an answer?

    No, but I've read that Silva are normally very good indeed at customer
    service, and so this might be a case in which a phone call is worth
    making. Based on what I've read, there's a good chance that they'll
    replace it for you if the bubble constitutes a problem, no matter when
    you bought it.

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

  3. "Peewiglet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Andy Crawford said:

    I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble in
    the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :-)
    Silva in Livingston have ignored my emails and I'll be d****d if I'll
    spend
    money on a phone call to more than likely get 'shunted' from one
    department
    to another!
    Anyone got an answer?

    No, but I've read that Silva are normally very good indeed at customer
    service, and so this might be a case in which a phone call is worth
    making. Based on what I've read, there's a good chance that they'll
    replace it for you if the bubble constitutes a problem, no matter when
    you bought it.

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

    It's there to cater for one of the laws of physics i.e. to allow expansion
    of the fluid in the compass.

  4. "Andy Crawford" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble in
    the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :-)
    Anyone got an answer?
    --
    Regards
    Andy

    They repaired / replaced mine (a 54) when it deveolped the same fault. It
    was some time ago, and I have a feeling that there was no charge.

    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK
    http://www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm

  5. Quoted message said:

    It's there to cater for one of the laws of physics i.e. to allow


    expansion

    Quoted message said:

    of the fluid in the compass.

    ## I think you're wrong there 🙂 what if it wasn't there before but has
    suddenly appeared? where did it come from?
    I think the (sealed) capsule is sufficiently strong enough to withstand
    any slight expansion of the fluid.
    Having said that I've had it happen with at least two Silva compasses
    and contacted them in the past. They'll replace the capsule at a cost.
    It isn't a problem and the compasses seem to function perfectly well.

  6. Even stranger, years ago quite a large bubble appeared in my ancient
    Type 4S, and disappeared just as mysteriously, no bubble 'at this
    time'

  7. Just had a thought, could air travel be doing this, checked baggage??

  8. I noticed that Message-ID: <[email hidden]> from
    graham blamey contained the following:

    Quoted message said:

    I think the (sealed) capsule is sufficiently strong enough to withstand
    any slight expansion of the fluid.

    Not unless it was flexible.

    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.
    My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
    Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/

  9. Thanks guys and gals! I'll see what Silva say.
    Your input appreciated.
    --
    Remove my boots to email me ...
    Regards
    Andy
    www.chiadfhear.co.uk
    "Malcolm Stewart" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Andy Crawford" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble
    in
    the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :-)
    Anyone got an answer?
    --
    Regards
    Andy

    They repaired / replaced mine (a 54) when it deveolped the same fault. It
    was some time ago, and I have a feeling that there was no charge.

    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK
    http://www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm

  10. Andy Crawford said:

    I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble in
    the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :-)

    They often appear as atmospheric pressure goes down and the sealed
    compass housing expands a little. And then they go again when the
    pressure goes up. They're not generally a problem unless they get very
    big, indicating the seal has gone quite badly.

    Quoted message said:

    Silva in Livingston have ignored my emails and I'll be d****d if I'll spend
    money on a phone call to more than likely get 'shunted' from one department
    to another!

    Silva were pretty responsive when Roos' compass flipped 180 degrees, so
    its not a congenital customer service problem.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone got an answer?

    I wouldn't worry about it, to be honest.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  11. Decided to phone Silva and got through to 'Technical' without a problem.
    Invited to return the compass for replacement ... FOC :-)

    --
    Remove my boots to email me ...
    Regards
    <snip>"Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Andy Crawford said:

    I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble
    in the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :-)

    They often appear as atmospheric pressure goes down and the sealed compass
    housing expands a little. And then they go again when the pressure goes
    up. They're not generally a problem unless they get very big, indicating
    the seal has gone quite badly.

    Quoted message said:

    Silva in Livingston have ignored my emails and I'll be d****d if I'll
    spend money on a phone call to more than likely get 'shunted' from one
    department to another!

    Silva were pretty responsive when Roos' compass flipped 180 degrees, so
    its not a congenital customer service problem.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone got an answer?

    I wouldn't worry about it, to be honest.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  12. Andy Crawford said:

    Decided to phone Silva and got through to 'Technical' without a problem.
    Invited to return the compass for replacement ... FOC :-)

    Very cool! I'm glad you got a good outcome :-)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.