Can you use MTB brake pads on a racer?

AP

Guest
Almost all the good-looking brake pads on ebay say they're for mountain
bikes. They look longer than I'm used to, and have Allen key fittings. Can I
fit these to my old 10 gear racer, or will they not fit/cause my brakes to
self-destruct? Thanks.

AP wrote:
> Almost all the good-looking brake pads on ebay say they're for mountain
> bikes.

Erm... bearing in mind that you rely on these four bits of plastic to
stop your bike and to prevent you from becoming roadkill, are you
really gonna trust that the stuff you buy on ebay is authentic rather
than some backstreet knock-off? Why not spend a *very* few extra quid
and buy the real thing from your LBS?

Just my 0.02 Euro

LN

Brilliant! (I take it the asnwer to my question is no.) Just bought some.
Many thanks.

Alan
news:[email protected]...

AP wrote:
> Almost all the good-looking brake pads on ebay say they're for
> mountain bikes. They look longer than I'm used to, and have Allen key
> fittings. Can I fit these to my old 10 gear racer, or will they not
> fit/cause my brakes to self-destruct? Thanks.

They'll fit if there's enough clearance between brakes and forks/stays. But
smaller blocks are easier to align.

~PB

In article <[email protected]>
AP <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>
> > AP <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Almost all the good-looking brake pads on ebay say they're for mountain
> >> bikes. They look longer than I'm used to, and have Allen key fittings.
> >> Can I
> >> fit these to my old 10 gear racer, or will they not fit/cause my brakes
> >> self-destruct? Thanks.
> >>

> > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250055098170

> Brilliant! (I take it the asnwer to my question is no.)

It was more a case of a "why bother messing around with something that
might not work when you can just get these". :)

In article <[email protected]>
lardyninja <[email protected]> wrote:

> AP wrote:
> > Almost all the good-looking brake pads on ebay say they're for mountain
> > bikes.

> Erm... bearing in mind that you rely on these four bits of plastic to
> stop your bike and to prevent you from becoming roadkill, are you
> really gonna trust that the stuff you buy on ebay is authentic rather
> than some backstreet knock-off? Why not spend a *very* few extra quid
> and buy the real thing from your LBS?

Because he can't ride his bike to the shop because the brakes don't
work?

"lardyninja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> AP wrote:
>> Almost all the good-looking brake pads on ebay say they're for mountain
>> bikes.

> Erm... bearing in mind that you rely on these four bits of plastic to
> stop your bike and to prevent you from becoming roadkill, are you
> really gonna trust that the stuff you buy on ebay is authentic rather
> than some backstreet knock-off? Why not spend a *very* few extra quid
> and buy the real thing from your LBS?

Is there really a problem with knock-off bike brake pads being sold on ebay?
I don't think so - they just don't cost enough to make it worthwhile.

clive

lardyninja said the following on 05/12/2006 14:01:

> Erm... bearing in mind that you rely on these four bits of plastic to
> stop your bike and to prevent you from becoming roadkill, are you
> really gonna trust that the stuff you buy on ebay is authentic rather
> than some backstreet knock-off?

That to me sounds like another "let's knock eBay" attitude picked up
from the media. Have you ever had fake brake blocks from eBay? Have
you ever heard of anyone buying fake blocks off eBay? Is there even a
market for fake blocks?

Yes, there is loads of dodgy stuff on eBay, but anyone with half an
ounce of common sense can spot that a mile off. (Amazing how many
people don't have half an ounce of common sense!) The amount of dodgy
stuff on there is massively outweighed by the legit stuff, although the
media would have you believe otherwise. Personally, I feel affronted as
a seller when people **** off eBay in general as being full of criminals
and scammers trying to rip people off.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Clive George wrote:
> "lardyninja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>> AP wrote:
>>
>>> Almost all the good-looking brake pads on ebay say they're for mountain
>>> bikes.

>> Erm... bearing in mind that you rely on these four bits of plastic to
>> stop your bike and to prevent you from becoming roadkill, are you
>> really gonna trust that the stuff you buy on ebay is authentic rather
>> than some backstreet knock-off? Why not spend a *very* few extra quid
>> and buy the real thing from your LBS?

> Is there really a problem with knock-off bike brake pads being sold on
> ebay? I don't think so - they just don't cost enough to make it worthwhile.

Quite. Problem with small stuff on flea-bay is the postage. Said
blocks were 5 dquids to door, which is about what you pay to get them in
your mucky little mits. AND, you get to go to the toy shop!

Paul Boyd wrote:
> lardyninja said the following on 05/12/2006 14:01:
> That to me sounds like another "let's knock eBay" attitude picked up
> from the media.

Would you buy a vital piece of safety equipment from ebay just to save
a few quid? I use ebay to buy stuff that I don't rely on to save my
life because my life is worth more than a few quid to me. Whether you
think there is a market for knocked off brake blocks or not does not
mean that it doesn't exist. These blocks may well have been legit but
why risk it? I bought some 'designer' sunglasses from ebay but they
were to be used as props so I didn't really care that they were fake. I
really do care whether my brake blocks are real or not.

LN

Many thanks for all responses. It's true I could go to the bike shop, but I
know they'd end up selling me something very good for quite a lot. As it is,
thanks to Rob Morley I've got two pairs of top blocks heading my way for
just a bit over eight quid, which is the kind of money I was looking to
spend (sorry, but pennies are tight). As to 'dodgy stuff on ebay', I'm sure
it does exist, but you don't have to be that smart to avoid it. I've bought
just about everything off ebay over the last few years, and I can honestly
say I don't think I've been ripped off once (out of c300 deals). If money
was no object I'd go to the toy shop! But when you're trying to make a
little go a long way, ebay is the biz.

Many thanks again for all advice.
"Tosspot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Clive George wrote:
>> "lardyninja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Erm... bearing in mind that you rely on these four bits of plastic to
>>> stop your bike and to prevent you from becoming roadkill, are you
>>> really gonna trust that the stuff you buy on ebay is authentic rather
>>> than some backstreet knock-off? Why not spend a *very* few extra quid
>>> and buy the real thing from your LBS?

>> Is there really a problem with knock-off bike brake pads being sold on
>> ebay? I don't think so - they just don't cost enough to make it
>> worthwhile.

> Quite. Problem with small stuff on flea-bay is the postage. Said blocks
> were 5 dquids to door, which is about what you pay to get them in your
> mucky little mits. AND, you get to go to the toy shop!

"AP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Many thanks for all responses. It's true I could go to the bike shop, but
> I know they'd end up selling me something very good for quite a lot. As it
> is, thanks to Rob Morley I've got two pairs of top blocks heading my way
> for just a bit over eight quid, which is the kind of money I was looking
> to spend (sorry, but pennies are tight). As to 'dodgy stuff on ebay', I'm
> sure it does exist, but you don't have to be that smart to avoid it. I've
> bought just about everything off ebay over the last few years, and I can
> honestly say I don't think I've been ripped off once (out of c300 deals).
> If money was no object I'd go to the toy shop! But when you're trying to
> make a little go a long way, ebay is the biz.

For bike bits, ebay is definitely worth taking care over if you're trying to
be thrifty. Often stuff there is more expensive than other sellers - eg
chain reaction, wiggle, settle.

cheers,
clive

"lardyninja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Paul Boyd wrote:
>> lardyninja said the following on 05/12/2006 14:01:
>> That to me sounds like another "let's knock eBay" attitude picked up
>> from the media.

> Would you buy a vital piece of safety equipment from ebay just to save
> a few quid?

Yes. I know other people who have done so too. Eg liferafts for a boat.
Second hand there is a considerable saving to be made, and ebay is a
convenient second hand market.

> I use ebay to buy stuff that I don't rely on to save my
> life because my life is worth more than a few quid to me. Whether you
> think there is a market for knocked off brake blocks or not does not
> mean that it doesn't exist.

Whether or not I believe there's an axe murderer in the next room doesn't
mean it doesn't exist. But I reckon the chances are pretty low. Ditto on
knocked off brake blocks.

Do you actually have any evidence that there are dodgy bike brake blocks on
sale? Or are you just a worrier?

> These blocks may well have been legit but why risk it?

Because the risk is tiny.

clive

Yes indeed...it is amazing. One of the fasconating things about ebay - watch
herd mentality in all its glory. How many times have I seen people still
gamely bidding a price further and further up, when the exact same item is
listed from a different seller at a Buy it Now price way below the pace set
by the frenzy. Verily there's nowt so strange as folk.

One ebay tip, while I'm here - keep your eyes peeled for misspellings. I
recently picked up a Campagnola (sic) Super Record rear changer for just
north of a tenner. I guess all the proper buyers were busy looking at
Campagnolo gear...

Cheers all

Alan
news:[email protected]...

AP said the following on 05/12/2006 16:49:

> One ebay tip, while I'm here - keep your eyes peeled for misspellings. I
> recently picked up a Campagnola (sic) Super Record rear changer for just
> north of a tenner. I guess all the proper buyers were busy looking at
> Campagnolo gear...

Another eBay tip - have a look at http://www.fatfingers.com/ - that
looks for mis-spellings for you!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

AP wrote:
> Yes indeed...it is amazing. One of the fasconating things about ebay - watch
> herd mentality in all its glory. How many times have I seen people still
> gamely bidding a price further and further up, when the exact same item is
> listed from a different seller at a Buy it Now price way below the pace set
> by the frenzy. Verily there's nowt so strange as folk.
>
> One ebay tip, while I'm here - keep your eyes peeled for misspellings. I
> recently picked up a Campagnola (sic) Super Record rear changer for just
> north of a tenner. I guess all the proper buyers were busy looking at
> Campagnolo gear...

Good advice. Friend of mine did the same thing, and funny enough,
Campagnolo, the seller said he'd thought it would go for a lot more,
the buyer pointed out is was spelt wrong, was in the wrong category, the
description barely matched the item, and it was a bloody wonder he found
a seller for it at all!

<gazes admiringly at the Centrimaster Truing Stand> At less than 300
squids that one *was* a bargain! Still to be used though :-(

Btw, another one popped up the other day.

lardyninja said the following on 05/12/2006 16:07:

> Would you buy a vital piece of safety equipment from ebay just to save
> a few quid?

Yes, if I was happy with the seller and the product - in fact I have
done just that with the V-brakes on my commuting bike. Would you buy a
vital piece of safety equipment from a shop? Or from a mail-order
website? What's the difference? eBay is just a venue, and it's up to
the buyer to make a judgement on the product and the seller in exactly
the same way as for any other purchase anywhere. There are many shops
on eBay - SJSC comes to mind in the cycling world - so with your logic
would you not buy brake blocks from their eBay shop just because it's on
eBay? Often shops will use eBay to sell slow-moving stock at a better
price, or simply to broaden their market.

> These blocks may well have been legit but
> why risk it? I bought some 'designer' sunglasses from ebay but they
> were to be used as props so I didn't really care that they were fake. I
> really do care whether my brake blocks are real or not.

What risk? Anyway, I'll keep my eyes peeled for the booming market in
fake brake blocks.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"lardyninja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Paul Boyd wrote:
>> lardyninja said the following on 05/12/2006 14:01:
>> That to me sounds like another "let's knock eBay" attitude picked up
>> from the media.

> Would you buy a vital piece of safety equipment from ebay just to save
> a few quid? I use ebay to buy stuff that I don't rely on to save my
> life because my life is worth more than a few quid to me. Whether you
> think there is a market for knocked off brake blocks or not does not
> mean that it doesn't exist. These blocks may well have been legit but
> why risk it? I bought some 'designer' sunglasses from ebay but they
> were to be used as props so I didn't really care that they were fake. I
> really do care whether my brake blocks are real or not.

Have you ever bought a second hand bike and ridden it? On those second hand
tyres and second hand brake blocks and god knows what could be wrong with
them? Or even worse, a second hand car?

AP wrote:
> Almost all the good-looking brake pads on ebay say they're for mountain
> bikes. They look longer than I'm used to, and have Allen key fittings. Can I
> fit these to my old 10 gear racer, or will they not fit/cause my brakes to
> self-destruct? Thanks.

I've wondered about this (not the Ebay bit, but the mountain bike
blocks on a racer). I use an old racer for the station hack and quite
frankly the braking is p*** poor compared to the trekking thing I'm
bundling around on for leisure. Wondered if the enlarged friction area
would result in more effect at the wheel. If I recall 'O' Level Physics
correctly the friction force is proportional to the force applied
perpendicular to the two surfaces, and has nothing to do with area, so
theory says no ... but does practice ?

Of course I could take the blocks off one bike and put them on the
other, but its then Sods Law that I would forget to put them back for
Saturday morning, the likely result being an unscheduled interaction
with the gate at the end of the yard. :O)