Cannondale F900

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tc, Apr 8, 2003.

  1. Tc

    Tc Guest

    Hi,

    I've been offered a 1999 model with a CAAD3 frame:

    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/99/model-9FS9.html

    Anyone have any opinions on this bike? Apparently its not been ridden very much so is in good
    condition; how much is it worth paying?

    Thanks, TC

    Tags:

  2. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    TC wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been offered a 1999 model with a CAAD3 frame:
    >
    > http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/99/model-9FS9.html
    >
    > Anyone have any opinions on this bike? Apparently its not been ridden very much so is in good
    > condition; how much is it worth paying?
    >
    > Thanks, TC

    I don't know about the '99, but I had a '00 F1000 (CAAD4) that I really liked. IMO, the Coda stuff
    is about equivelent to Diore in quality/ performance. I don't remember any Coda stuff that couldn't
    be replaced with Shimano or any other after market company -- other than the fork -- the only fork
    that will fit it is a Cannondale (another head shock or a lefty). The head shock was really nice --
    stiff and responsive with a lock-out. You'll want to get a fork pump for it.

    No idea what it's worth...

    David

  3. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    > I don't remember any Coda stuff that couldn't be replaced with Shimano or any other after market
    > company -- other than the fork -- the only fork that will fit it is a Cannondale (another head
    > shock or a lefty).

    On my Jekyll, they've managed to equip it with four-bolt disk hubs instead of the standard six...
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  4. David L

    David L Guest

  5. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > RE/
    >
    >>I don't remember any Coda stuff that couldn't be replaced with Shimano or any other after market
    >>company -- other than the fork -- the only fork that will fit it is a Cannondale (another head
    >>shock or a lefty).
    >

    > On my Jekyll, they've managed to equip it with four-bolt disk hubs instead of the standard six...
    > -----------------------
    > PeteCresswell

    The '00 F1000 had standard V brakes so I'm assuming that the '99 F900 would also.

    And, in late '01 or '02 , they went to a standard 6 bolt rotor (my late '00 or early '01 lefty still
    has the 4 bolt -- which Hayes makes a rotor for because that's what I'm using).

    David

  6. Tc

    Tc Guest

    David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<JaQka.15911
    > The '00 F1000 had standard V brakes so I'm assuming that the '99 F900 would also.

    It has disk brakes which I'm not 100% keen on, probably because I'm scared of technology.... TC

  7. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    TC wrote:
    > David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<JaQka.15911
    >
    >>The '00 F1000 had standard V brakes so I'm assuming that the '99 F900 would also.
    >>

    > It has disk brakes which I'm not 100% keen on, probably because I'm scared of technology....

    The Coda disk brakes were nothing to brag about... I never ran 'em, but I was told that they were no
    better than Vs (which are really quite good
    :) -- just not as good as a good disc). Perhaps some EBC brake pads
    would help 'em :) (Cambria lists them for $18.00).

    I'm running Hayes mechanicals. I love 'em. I ran 'em on my F1000 when I upgraded it to a Lefty fork
    and moved them to the Jekyll when I swapped frames to go full suspension. Hayes makes a rotor for
    the Coda hubs (at least they did a couple of years ago when I got mine). They're inexpensive and
    work very well. You'd also need to get V brake levers for the mechanicals or you could go hydro. SO,
    if you don't like the Coda discs, you could switch to Hayes.

    David

  8. Tc

    Tc Guest

    How good are the Sram Quarz grip shifts? TC