Cannondale serial number translation PLEASE??

DoberDawn

Guest
If you have a serial number, two lines, one above the other, with
spaces between the left and right sides, and it has letters and
numbers. I was told I should not post the actual serial number
online.... I'm not sure why. But, can anyone tell me how to read it
to know what is the frame size and year?

I will put "L" for a letter character and "#" for a number character:

LL __________ #####
LL### _______ 3R6W53

I left the last part intact. I know from the marking on the frame that
it is a Cannondale III R. So, I'm guess that the 3R stands for that.
It is a ladies' bike (or so the seller told me) and I usually ride
around a 52 to 54 cm bike frame. So I'm guess the W is for Women's and
53 might be the frame size??? But one of the other numbers on the bike
included a 52. So, I'm not sure.

Anyway, can anyone tell me how to read this? I would like to know
specifically what my frame size is and what year my bike is. Oh yeah,
and for purposes of recording ownership, what portion of those numbers
constitute the serial number that I should put with my insurance
records?

Thanks,

Dawn

DoberDawn wrote:
> If you have a serial number, two lines, one above the other, with
> spaces between the left and right sides, and it has letters and
> numbers. I was told I should not post the actual serial number
> online.... I'm not sure why. But, can anyone tell me how to read it
> to know what is the frame size and year?
>
> I will put "L" for a letter character and "#" for a number character:
>
> LL __________ #####
> LL### _______ 3R6W53
>
> I left the last part intact. I know from the marking on the frame that
> it is a Cannondale III R. So, I'm guess that the 3R stands for that.
> It is a ladies' bike (or so the seller told me) and I usually ride
> around a 52 to 54 cm bike frame. So I'm guess the W is for Women's and
> 53 might be the frame size??? But one of the other numbers on the bike
> included a 52. So, I'm not sure.
>
> Anyway, can anyone tell me how to read this? I would like to know
> specifically what my frame size is and what year my bike is. Oh yeah,
> and for purposes of recording ownership, what portion of those numbers
> constitute the serial number that I should put with my insurance
> records?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dawn

Dear Dawn,

Sheldon Brown had a decoder ring for older Cannondale serial numbers:

"Cannondale Serial number code: first two digits are the size, next 6
are date of manufacture, remainder are unit number. For instance:
SN#54021787121 indicates a 54 cm frame, built on February 17, 1987,
#121."

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/vrbn-a-f.html

But this led to so many Cannondales being sunk in the North Atlantic
that the Cannondale high command changed the rotors on their Enigma
machines--

Er, sorry, wrong subject.

Anyway, just send the Cannondale tech department your numbers and your
question. Or call them. The emails and 800 numbers are on this page:

http://www.cannondale.com/company

Cheers,

Bletchley Park

Okay... I've sent them (Cannondale) an email. Sheldon's decoder
doesn't work for my bike because it starts with letters rather than
numbers and it sure would not make any sense for the date either. <g>
I do know that I had a typo in my original post. It is an R300 not a
III R. Some days, I can be a ditz. Anyway, hopefully Cannondale can
translate it. I would like to know about the bike and maybe even still
get a manual for it. <g> I bought it used, but in beautifully
maintained condition. Unfortunately, its owner normally just took it
in annually for service and knew really nothing about the bike.