Can't get out of the pedals

trekchic

Jul 26, 2003
I am a new rider (since 09/03) and have bought the Shimano PD R600 pedals and Sidi cycling shoes. I can clip in, but I am having a hard time getting out of the pedals. I took the bike back to the bike shop and he said they're as loose as they'll go; I just need to practice.

So, what is the proper technique for unclipping from the pedals? There has to be a trick to it or I wouldn't be having as much trouble with the pedals.

OH...I went outside in my yard to practice getting in and out...wrecked! Then I popped a tire..........could this day get any worse?

I am so uptight and worried about getting stuck in the pedals that I'm not able to get outside to ride! I have kept the bike on the trainer........HEEEEEELP!

T.I.A.!
Kim in TN

Rotate your heel either in or out about 40 degrees from the axis (but still in the same plane) your foot normally would be while in the pedals.

If that doesn't easily clip you out, I'd go back again and have them reset the tension looser (maybe tighten and then re-loosen, can't believe it's already the loosest tension if you're having that much trouble unclipping) AND show you how to unclip at the LBS.

It becomes second nature once you've done it awhile, but it does take some practice to get to that point.

I took the bike and shoes back to the shop this evening. He fixed the flat and then put the bike on the trainer. I got on and showed him how much trouble I'm having getting in and out. He said I am putting too much pressure on my toes and should come on the down stroke with my heels leading. Also, I should relax my foot and with a quick jerk, pop the heel and ankle away from the bike and keep the foot level. I did a few times and he said to go home and put the bike on the trainer and practice. He also said to unclip while going a little faster than I have been so I can keep my balance and I won't crash as easily.

I'm going out tomorrow and riding, crashing, popping in and out... whatever it takes to learn to master these things! He said they are as loose as they'll go and it's form...and I need to work on it! He said these pedals and cleats are the best as far as clippless goes and easiest to get in and out of (Shimano PD R600... the new black and yellow "walkable" cleat system?).

I did get on the trainer tonight for about 40 minutes and clip in and out. I still don't think it is as easy as it should be!

Kim in TN

I bought Shimano PD-M shoes and pedals, soooooo much esaier to get out of.

g

Originally posted by trekchic
I took the bike and shoes back to the shop this evening. He fixed the flat and then put the bike on the trainer. I got on and showed him how much trouble I'm having getting in and out. He said I am putting too much pressure on my toes and should come on the down stroke with my heels leading. Also, I should relax my foot and with a quick jerk, pop the heel and ankle away from the bike and keep the foot level. I did a few times and he said to go home and put the bike on the trainer and practice. He also said to unclip while going a little faster than I have been so I can keep my balance and I won't crash as easily.

I'm going out tomorrow and riding, crashing, popping in and out... whatever it takes to learn to master these things! He said they are as loose as they'll go and it's form...and I need to work on it! He said these pedals and cleats are the best as far as clippless goes and easiest to get in and out of (Shimano PD R600... the new black and yellow "walkable" cleat system?).

I did get on the trainer tonight for about 40 minutes and clip in and out. I still don't think it is as easy as it should be!

Kim in TN

I had the same problem .. I did have them adjusted and they are much better. Everybody in my club thought I was either drunk or needed training wheels .. every now and again I still seem to "forget" and launch myself over the handle bars with of course the whole peanut gallery looking on and having a laugh on me!

Keep going out and trying them out cos I heard even experienced riders sometimes become senile on their day out!