Caption contest?

Steven L. Sheffield

Guest
Samuel Dumoulin (of AG2R) & Vincent Lavenu (team director of AG2R) after the
finish of yesterday's stage in the Dauphine Libere ...

http://www.criterium.ledauphine.com/criterium05/uploads/illustrations/actual
ite_217.jpg

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

I don't think this link works. At least it doesn't for me.

Dewey B wrote:
> I don't think this link works. At least it doesn't for me.

And which of them is saying that?

You know it's bedtime when the big hand touches the little hand.

Is that a roll of certs in your pocket....

When team doctors become more important.....

David Ferguson wrote:
> You know it's bedtime when the big hand touches the little hand.

Trivia question: how many times per day does this happen?

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:24:45 +1200, Stewart Fleming
<[email protected]> wrote:

>David Ferguson wrote:
>> You know it's bedtime when the big hand touches the little hand.

>Trivia question: how many times per day does this happen?

Hopefully you realize that the big hand and little hand being referred
to are of the persons in the picture, not the hands on a clock.

But if you go noon to noon and count both noon the hands cross each
other 23 times.

On 6/10/05 12:24 AM, in article [email protected], "Stewart Fleming"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> David Ferguson wrote:
>> You know it's bedtime when the big hand touches the little hand.

> Trivia question: how many times per day does this happen?

24

Me wrote:
> On 6/10/05 12:24 AM, in article [email protected], "Stewart Fleming"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > David Ferguson wrote:
> >> You know it's bedtime when the big hand touches the little hand.

> > Trivia question: how many times per day does this happen?

> 24

Start at an hour (any hour, 12 is handy), the hands "touching"
(pointing to the same spot on the dial), go around all the rest of the
numbers twice (24hr day), back to the same time, it's 25 times. Some
clocks, that's three hands "touching".

IME, if the hands do actually touch, you need to straighten the bent
one so they don't snag and stop progress. Then the clock will show
correct time more than twice a day.
--Tom "waiting for something important to do" Paterson

On 10 Jun 2005 08:55:52 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Me wrote:
>> On 6/10/05 12:24 AM, in article [email protected], "Stewart Fleming"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Trivia question: how many times per day does this happen?

>> 24

>Start at an hour (any hour, 12 is handy), the hands "touching"
>(pointing to the same spot on the dial), go around all the rest of the
>numbers twice (24hr day), back to the same time, it's 25 times. Some
>clocks, that's three hands "touching".
>
>IME, if the hands do actually touch, you need to straighten the bent
>one so they don't snag and stop progress. Then the clock will show
>correct time more than twice a day.
>--Tom "waiting for something important to do" Paterson

No, you are mistaken. In the 11th hour they do not touch because that
time is 12:00. So if you count both starting points it is 23 times.

If it were as simple as what you are stating then there would be no
point in asking the question. That 11th hour is what makes the
question tricky and worth asking.

12:00 Noon
1:06 pm
2:12 pm
3:17 pm
4:23 pm
5:28 pm
6:33 pm
7:39 pm
8:44 pm
9:50 pm
10:55 pp
12:00 Midnight
1:06 am
2:12 am
3:17 am
4:23 am
5:28 am
6:33 am
7:39 am
8:44 am
9:50 am
10:55 am
12:00 Noon

That's 23.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:54:49 -0400, David Ferguson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>No, you are mistaken. In the 11th hour they do not touch because that
>time is 12:00. So if you count both starting points it is 23 times.
>
>If it were as simple as what you are stating then there would be no
>point in asking the question. That 11th hour is what makes the
>question tricky and worth asking.
>

>12:00 Noon
>1:06 pm
>2:12 pm
>3:17 pm
>4:23 pm
>5:28 pm
>6:33 pm
>7:39 pm
>8:44 pm
>9:50 pm
>10:55 pp
>12:00 Midnight
>1:06 am
>2:12 am
>3:17 am
>4:23 am
>5:28 am
>6:33 am
>7:39 am
>8:44 am
>9:50 am
>10:55 am
>12:00 Noon
>
>That's 23.

OK, fine, but you're the one with the date of 11 on your watch. Or 12,
if you did it twice to double check...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:10:04 -0400, Curtis L. Russell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:54:49 -0400, David Ferguson
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>No, you are mistaken. In the 11th hour they do not touch because that
>>time is 12:00. So if you count both starting points it is 23 times.
>>
>>If it were as simple as what you are stating then there would be no
>>point in asking the question. That 11th hour is what makes the
>>question tricky and worth asking.
>>

>>12:00 Noon
>>1:06 pm
>>2:12 pm
>>3:17 pm
>>4:23 pm
>>5:28 pm
>>6:33 pm
>>7:39 pm
>>8:44 pm
>>9:50 pm
>>10:55 pp
>>12:00 Midnight
>>1:06 am
>>2:12 am
>>3:17 am
>>4:23 am
>>5:28 am
>>6:33 am
>>7:39 am
>>8:44 am
>>9:50 am
>>10:55 am
>>12:00 Noon
>>
>>That's 23.

>OK, fine, but you're the one with the date of 11 on your watch. Or 12,
>if you did it twice to double check...
>
>Curtis L. Russell
>Odenton, MD (USA)
>Just someone on two wheels...

Lol, I don't need to check. It's an old IQ test question that gets
asked all of the time. I'm guilty of being one of those people who
actually enjoys aptitude, personality and IQ tests.

Questions are often repeated from test to test, like-

Ten people can paint 60 houses in 120 days, so five people can paint
30 houses in?

David Ferguson wrote:

> >>No, you are mistaken. In the 11th hour they do not touch because that
> >>time is 12:00. So if you count both starting points it is 23 times.

> Lol, I don't need to check. It's an old IQ test question that gets
> asked all of the time. I'm guilty of being one of those people who
> actually enjoys aptitude, personality and IQ tests.

You fail. You can't count both the starting and ending 12:00. If
12:00 am on Monday belongs to Monday, then the next 12:00 am belongs
to Tuesday. Ask how many times it happens in two days, and the answer
should be twice as many times as it happens in one day (i.e. 44
and 22). This is only true if you count either starting 12:00 or
ending 12:00, but not both.

Ben
hates IQ tests as a short-bus rider should

> Questions are often repeated from test to test, like-
>
> Ten people can paint 60 houses in 120 days, so five people can paint
> 30 houses in?

If it takes 10 people and 2 days to paint a single house, the painting
company isn't going to last very long.

On 10 Jun 2005 15:38:01 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Lol, I don't need to check. It's an old IQ test question that gets
>> asked all of the time. I'm guilty of being one of those people who
>> actually enjoys aptitude, personality and IQ tests.

>You fail. You can't count both the starting and ending 12:00. If
>12:00 am on Monday belongs to Monday, then the next 12:00 am belongs
>to Tuesday. Ask how many times it happens in two days, and the answer
>should be twice as many times as it happens in one day (i.e. 44
>and 22). This is only true if you count either starting 12:00 or
>ending 12:00, but not both.
>
>Ben
>hates IQ tests as a short-bus rider should
>

>> Questions are often repeated from test to test, like-
>>
>> Ten people can paint 60 houses in 120 days, so five people can paint
>> 30 houses in?

>If it takes 10 people and 2 days to paint a single house, the painting
>company isn't going to last very long.

I qualified my statement in the original reply, saying IF you count
both noons. And if you don't count both noons it would be 22. I didn't
think I needed to do the math for that one. The point being that it's
not 25 (or even 24 if you don't count both noons).

What you may find interesting is that the debate about 12:00 rages on
as it can be argued that it belongs to neither AM or PM. The terms 12
Noon or 12 Midnight are used to avoid confusions. So saying "12 AM
belongs to Tuesday" creates confusion.
Some people call 12AM Noon.

And I suppose one 12 Midnight would belong to one day and the next
would belong to another but I wonder which day 12 Midnight belongs to.
The day that is ending or the day that is starting.

12 Noon, is that morning or afternoon...... or just noon for a
fraction of a second. By the time you said it it would be afternoon,
unless you started to say it before 12 noon to time it just right.

See what you started.

> Ben
> hates IQ tests as a short-bus rider should

As long as you weren't wearing a hockey helmet on that bus...

> > Questions are often repeated from test to test, like-
> >
> > Ten people can paint 60 houses in 120 days, so five people can paint
> > 30 houses in?

> If it takes 10 people and 2 days to paint a single house, the painting
> company isn't going to last very long.

So does that make you a Keynesian, or not?!?!?

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

[email protected] wrote:
> Ask how many times it happens in two days, and the answer
> should be twice as many times as it happens in one day

The French think something happening in a week is 8 days from now but
something happening in two weeks is 15 days from now.

> hates IQ tests as a short-bus rider should

Ouch.

David Ferguson wrote:
> Hopefully you realize that the big hand and little hand being referred
> to are of the persons in the picture, not the hands on a clock.

Yes, I guessed that.

> But if you go noon to noon and count both noon the hands cross each
> other 23 times.

Now the followup - at what exact times?

Howard Kveck wrote:

> > If it takes 10 people and 2 days to paint a single house, the painting
> > company isn't going to last very long.

> So does that make you a Keynesian, or not?!?!?

In the long run, we are all Keynesians.