Carbon Bike - TCR Composite 1 vs Cannondale Synapse Carbon 2

HT606

Jan 25, 2006
Hi everyone,

I am in the final stages of selecting a full carbon bike for recreational moving into light races.

Last week, I took home a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 2 running Ultegras and carbon cranks. It felt amazingly steady on Sydney (****) roads and confident at high speeds over 40 km/hr. It took up vibrations well and never jittered around. Quite light sitting at about 7.6kg w/o pedals. Beautiful looking bike. Also I love Cannondales (its personal...:p :p :p ). However, it will set me back around $5000 AUD which is by no means great value.

On the other hand, there is the Giant TCR Composite 1 running same components and carbon cranks. Looks good too (though I think the Synapse looked better in Blue/Pearl White). I am yet to ride it but have heard many good things about it (will test this Friday). Weightwise, similar but seems heavier in the rear. This one is on special at $3199 and is the last one of my size in the shop.

Both frames will be strong enough for me with the TCR a little more compact in geometry (funny that). Its a pretty big difference in price and I would like to know from those who have had experience in either as to whether its worth the dosh for the Cannondale. :( :( :(

I am also considering that bikes will be on sale around September but I heard Cannondales are pretty firm on prices. The TCR is currently on discount and I dont know if it will ever go under $3000. Can everyone please put me out of my misery and post some constructive advice. (I will take into account the geometry that suits me... I promise...)

Thanks in advance guys!!!

As you say, you should go with whichever bike fits you best. Purpose-wise, the two bikes you're deciding between are very different. If you're thinking about racing, the TCR might suit your needs better; since the Synapse is a bit more upright, you might not be able to get into as aggressive a riding position. On the other hand, if you're fond of riding centuries, you might be better served by the Cannondale. While price is always a consideration, it's best to try to keep that from driving your decision.

Hi

If your seriously considering the Synapse at $5k, you should look in the equivalent price range in Giant.

For the same money or less you can get a TCR Advanced (I think woolleys wheels is having a sale) its the same frame as used by the T-Mobile pro team and it has full Ultegra and Ksyrium Elite wheels and other great components. This is a great bike for racing given the tighter geometry and very precise handling.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?year=2006&model=10030

here is a website that tells you about the frame.

www.magentreign.com

Note: this is not the same frame as TCR Composite 1

Yeah Wooleys are the ones doing the $3200 TCR C1 (not too keen on their attitude though). I also saw the Advanced and I know that Inner City in Glebe does a better price at that. In fact Inner City has taken the Synapse to $4300 and I am thinking of taking a look today.

On another note, TREK is doing a sale and the Madone SL 5.2 has gone from $6000 to $4500. mmm.... the frame is made in US. Must be a loud frame...:D

Seems to me that the Cannondale is maybe the choice for me as I see myself doing more centuries than racing (since I havent even raced before)... But I am sure if I want to race a little, the Synapse should be able to live it up.

Anyone own a Synapse?

Just bought it....

Cannondale Synapse Carbon 2 - Matt Carbon (BBQ) - Full Ultegra (Dura-ace rear derailer) - 7.6kgs of smoooooth cycling....:D :D :D :D :D

Got a good discount from $5100 to $4000. Not too bad...not too bad...:) :) :)

good on ya! I was going to recommend the specialized bikes or a caad 8 cannondale frame with r5000 setup (full dura ace and ksyrium elite wheels)

Synapse is great for recreational riding, comfort over speed unlike the caad 8.

The CAAD8 is a great bike also. I looked at that one too. It will definitely be faster than the Synapse and is a much stiffer frame and aggressive geometry, sharper turn ins (also slightly cheaper).However the Synapse will be more suited for me and took up bumps on the road (Sydney roads) better. Its still a very fast bike but less tiring after 70 odd kms.

If I did more racing (maybe in the future), I may look for something like that but at the moment very happy with the purchase.:) :) :)

Gotta go and ride some... Cheers ;)

When it comes to long rides, Synapse is perfection.. congrats, good work on working out a deal too :D It's a nice feeling being in the saddle for 5 hours, and not feeling at all beaten up or knackered at the end of it. Out of the saddle sprint finish to a century?.. sure, why not. The matte black colour is nice too :)

Just a warning though, you will not be able to go for any short rides now. When I first got mine, I "meant" to go for a quick 20-30km shakedown type ride, making sure everything was set up right.. two hours in the saddle later.. oops, is THAT the time?? :p