Carbon Fork vs. Steel... Difference in the RIDE..

Hell and High Water

Guest
Should have clarified that.

How much difference will the ride feel? Handling? Vibrations?

Does Carbon really smooth the ride out that much?

TIA,

-Bob

"Hell and High Water" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Should have clarified that.
>

> How much difference will the ride feel? Handling? Vibrations?
>

> Does Carbon really smooth the ride out that much?
>

> TIA,

Not really. Moving from a steel fork to a carbon fork will save weight.
Putting a bigger tire on would change the ride more than any non-suspension
fork.

Hell and High Water wrote:
> Should have clarified that.
>

> How much difference will the ride feel? Handling? Vibrations?
>

> Does Carbon really smooth the ride out that much?

My reply to your original post, as well as others, possibly, actually
addressed that. The biggest difference between the average steel fork,
and the average carbon fork, is the weight. "Ride feel" is a function
of how much you spent on the fork, in my opinion. Handling depends on
two things, geometry and stiffness. Most carbon forks are about as
stiff as most steel forks. Some (like my Wound-Up) are actually much
stiffer, so IMO handle better, but that is a matter of opinion. You get
a lot of ******** about how carbon damps vibrations, but whatever effect
is real, you would get an order of magnitude more damping by replacing
your 23mm front tire with a 25, and putting in a little less air
pressure. So don't worry about the "feel" part or the "damping" part,
and consider the weight. That is the first-order difference. Is the
weight loss worth it to you? Is the handling of your steel fork good,
or would you want to consider replacing it on that basis? But if the
fork was made for the bike, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that the
design is optimal in terms of handling?

--

David L. Johnson

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job.
-- Douglas Adams

David L. Johnson wrote:
> you would get an order of magnitude more damping by replacing
> your 23mm front tire with a 25, and putting in a little less air
> pressure.

I'm a fan of 25 mm tires, but "an order of magnitude" difference
(i.e., 10:1 improvement over 23 mm tires in shock damping)? I don't
think so.

Art Harris

Art Harris wrote:
> David L. Johnson wrote:
>> you would get an order of magnitude more damping by replacing
>> your 23mm front tire with a 25, and putting in a little less air
>> pressure.

> I'm a fan of 25 mm tires, but "an order of magnitude" difference
> (i.e., 10:1 improvement over 23 mm tires in shock damping)? I don't
> think so.

You misunderstood my meaning. The order of magnitude difference I am
talking about is between the "improvement" of replacing the fork, versus
getting a larger tire and lowering the inflation pressure.

I'm not suggesting that there is a large improvement in going to the
larger tire, though there certainly is a noticeable amount, but that the
comfort difference between the two types of fork is much, much, smaller.

--

David L. Johnson

Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and Excellence.