Carbon handlebars...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jr, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jr

    Jr Guest

    As far as vibration dampening, which is the best carbon bar going (that is also hopefully
    reliable...)?? Although I love the look of the Cinelli RAM, I think they are out as a choice due to
    the fact that you seem to have to mount the levers low on the bar due to the pre-drilled routing...

    Thanks!
     
    Tags:


  2. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    "jr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As far as vibration dampening, which is the best carbon bar going (that is also hopefully
    > reliable...)?? Although I love the look of the Cinelli
    RAM,
    > I think they are out as a choice due to the fact that you seem to have to mount the levers low on
    > the bar due to the pre-drilled routing...
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    I live in an area where all the roads are tar and gravel (chip and seal, if you prefer). I switched
    to a set of Easton carbon bars (EC70? the ones with the oversize clamp area ... yellow in the tape
    area). They made a substantial difference in comfort. I've been VERY happy with them.

    Bob C.
     
  3. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    "jr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As far as vibration dampening, which is the best carbon bar going (that is also hopefully
    > reliable...)?? Although I love the look of the Cinelli
    RAM,
    > I think they are out as a choice due to the fact that you seem to have to mount the levers low on
    > the bar due to the pre-drilled routing...
    >
    If you want more vibration dampening, have you tried wider tires like 700x25? Pumped up to 100-
    110psi, I think you'll get alot more comfort than any of the carbon bars available. Of course, if
    you just want carbon bars, then check out the new Ritcheys....
     
  4. jr-<< As far as vibration dampening, which is the best carbon bar going (that is also hopefully
    reliable...)?? >><BR><BR>

    Don't expect any carbon hbar or seatpost to 'dampen vibration'. They weigh less and have high whiz-
    bang quotient but aren't going to soften up any ride.

    We sell a lot of Kestrel ones..like 'em.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
     
  5. Top Sirloin

    Top Sirloin Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:52:06 -0400, "jr" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >As far as vibration dampening, which is the best carbon bar going (that is also hopefully
    >reliable...)?? Although I love the look of the Cinelli RAM, I think they are out as a choice due to
    >the fact that you seem to have to mount the levers low on the bar due to the pre-drilled routing...

    Have you checked out the FSA K-Wing? Maybe it's just me but I think having a wide top section like
    that looks really comfy.

    --
    Scott Johnson "There is nothing, I think, more unfortunate than to have soft, chubby, fat-looking
    children who go to watch their school play basketball every Saturday and regard that as their week's
    exercise."
    - John F. Kennedy, 1962
     
  6. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    "Fake name goes here" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > They made a substantial difference in comfort.
    >
    > according to Peter you're wrong

    I know. Peter came here and tried my bike before I put the carbon bars on, then tried it after ...
    doing several 50-milers a week on the pounding rural tar and gravel roads I have to endure. He told
    me the substantial improvement was all in my head. He said I'd be better off mounting 700 x 45 tires
    and keeping them inflated to 40 psi.

    Bob C.
     
  7. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:45:42 -0500, "psycholist"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I know. Peter came here and tried my bike before I put the carbon bars on, then tried it after ...
    >doing several 50-milers a week on the pounding rural tar and gravel roads I have to endure. He told
    >me the substantial improvement was all in my head.

    A substantial improvement in your head is still a substantial improvement. Whatever works for
    you is fine.
    --
    Rick Onanian
     
  8. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:52:06 -0400, "jr" <[email protected]> may have said:

    >As far as vibration dampening, which is the best carbon bar going (that is also hopefully
    >reliable...)?? Although I love the look of the Cinelli RAM, I think they are out as a choice due to
    >the fact that you seem to have to mount the levers low on the bar due to the pre-drilled routing...

    Changing bars to get better vibration damping is like changing pipes to get rid of a smoker's cough.
    If you want less vibration, swap to fatter tires at a lower pressure. Any vibration that gets past
    the tires and gets to the bar clamp will also get past any handlebar worth using. (Some people swear
    that a flexy carbon fork reduces vibration transmission. I don't know if I want to ride with a fork
    that will flex enough to do that. Your mileage may vary.)

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.
     
  9. Jim Beam

    Jim Beam Guest

    personally, i notice no difference in shock absorption of carbon bars, but they /do/ make winter
    rides easier on the hands because they do not suck heat like aluminum.

    regarding other posters' comments on carbon seat posts, they /definitely/ made a big difference to
    my ride, but ymmv.

    jr wrote:
    > As far as vibration dampening, which is the best carbon bar going (that is also hopefully
    > reliable...)?? Although I love the look of the Cinelli RAM, I think they are out as a choice due
    > to the fact that you seem to have to mount the levers low on the bar due to the pre-drilled
    > routing...
    >
    > Thanks!
     
  10. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > personally, i notice no difference in shock absorption of carbon bars, but they /do/ make winter
    > rides easier on the hands because they do not suck heat like aluminum.

    Bar tape helps a lot.
     
  11. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    "jr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As far as vibration dampening, which is the best carbon bar going (that is also hopefully
    > reliable...)?? Although I love the look of the Cinelli
    RAM,
    > I think they are out as a choice due to the fact that you seem to have to mount the levers low on
    > the bar due to the pre-drilled routing...
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    >

    I am so glad that you asked this question, because I rode with new Cinelli Ram bars after having a
    Deda Newton bar/stem for about the last year and a half.

    My impression....no disrespect to Peter (from whom I bought wheels) and others here who feel that
    carbon does not offer dampening, but my experience is quite the opposite.

    I weigh 130 lbs and ride an aluminum/carbon frame. I also have a touch of carpel tunnel syndrome, I
    think from training for so many hours on my Spinning bike and leaning on my hands. I bought the Rams
    because I have lusted after them for the last 2 years; not for any performance benefit, but for
    sheer art. I think they are the prettiest things I have ever seen (I know, my husband tells me I am
    a complete bike whacker.)

    I did NOT expect to feel any difference between the two bar setups, because I do believe that most
    of what you hear/read is bu**crap. When I left the house this morning, I immediately noticed that
    the bars felt a lot less "buzzy," and the whole front end felt quieter. There was definitely less
    vibration being transmitted through the bars. Perhaps this is because the Ram's are a single piece
    monocoque construction??? I don't know, but I can only describe it the way I have read others
    describe riding on a carbon monocoque frame like an OCLV...sort of like a deadened feel (I've never
    ridden one). While I don't think I would like this characteristic in a frame, it was just AWESOME in
    the handlebars. I was much, much more comfortable than on the Deda setup.

    One sidenote...my framebuilder and I could never get an annoying squeak in the front end of my bike
    to stop....we dropped the fork and regreased everything, greased the stem bolts, stem, anything we
    could think of and it WOULD NOT go away :< Well, one new set of Cinelli Rams later, and BLISSFUL,
    BLISSFUL SILENCE ;>

    Let the flames begin, Cat
     
  12. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > << They made a substantial difference in comfort.
    >
    > according to Peter you're wrong >><BR><BR>
    >
    > I switched from a Cinelli aluminum to a Kestrel carbon hbar on my
    Nobilette,
    > using the same everything else and I sure couldn't tell any difference.
    Then
    > went to a Ritchey WCS for the shape and that felt the same as well...I
    think
    > 'vibration dampening' claims of various carbon bits are the stuff of the marketing department.
    >
    Not to start a(nother) flame fest, but...

    Since we've all agreed that most of what we're feeling is in our heads, were you (Peter) being
    predisposed to feeling nothing?

    I was thinking that this would be a place to blind test different materials, but then I thought
    about the carbon bars' different shapes. Instant giveaway.

    Just curious... (and NOT trying to be an ass)

    I keep hearing about carbon bars, forks, seatstays, etc and their vibration dampening properties. If
    EVERYONE (well almost, see above) that is buying them is feeling the same thing, are they just
    buying hype? or is there maybe something real there too? (now I'm being an ass...) I haven't ridden
    either a carbon bar or carbon rear-ended bikes so I can't comment on them. I have ridden a steel
    fork and a carbon fork back to back and I felt a little less "buzz" thru the carbon fork. It ain't
    much, but it was there.

    Mike

    > Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    > (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
     
  13. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    "jr" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > As far as vibration dampening, which is the best carbon bar going (that is also hopefully
    > reliable...)??

    Bike structural parts do not damp vibrations. Simple test is this: If it rings when struck, at all,
    a monolithic part will not damp vibrations-- your body will absorb the vibration first.

    "Carbon provides damping" is a falsehood intended to sell users on carbon parts that come with a
    high price premium. There are things about carbon that make it a useful material option (low
    density, tunable modulus, corrosion resistance) but significant vibration damping is not one of
    them. There is more damping in your handlebar tape than in all the structural parts of any
    unsuspended bike combined. And there is more damping in your hands than in any handlebar tape
    ever made.

    Any handlebar, in any material, that provides a given spring rate under load, will feel identical to
    any other bar with a like spring rate. If what you want is a flexible handlebar, just use a very
    lightweight aluminum model made from a high strength alloy. It will likely deliver flex more cost-
    effectively than any carbon fiber bar.

    Chalo Colina
     
  14. Andres Muro

    Andres Muro Guest

    "jr" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > As far as vibration dampening, which is the best carbon bar going (that is also hopefully
    > reliable...)??

    The one that is wrapped by the thicker, squishier, corkier tape and is held by the best padded
    gloves. Also, tires w/ less psi will help. Bending elbows and relaxing arms will help too, and
    pointing the saddle slightly up, so that you are not leaning on your hands all the time.

    This advise is worth 50% of the savings from not having to switch bars, minus the gloves and tape
    that you might buy. Send me an email so that I can give you my paypal account and you can send me
    the payment. Thanx

    Andres

    PS: If someone wants additional cost saving advise, don't hesitate to ask. I'll only take 50% of
    your savings.
     
  15. Andres Muro

    Andres Muro Guest

    Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > A substantial improvement in your head is still a substantial improvement. Whatever works for you
    > is fine.

    Hey, how do I get a substantial improvement in my head? I certainly need one and neither the therapy
    nor the effexor has worked!

    Should I bang it with a carbon fiber or aluminum bar.

    Andres
     
  16. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "jr" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > As far as vibration dampening, which is the best carbon bar going (that
    is
    > > also hopefully reliable...)?? Although I love the look of the Cinelli
    > RAM,
    > > I think they are out as a choice due to the fact that you seem to have
    to
    > > mount the levers low on the bar due to the pre-drilled routing...
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > >
    >
    > I am so glad that you asked this question, because I rode with new Cinelli Ram bars after having a
    > Deda Newton bar/stem for about the last year and a half.
    >
    > My impression....no disrespect to Peter (from whom I bought wheels) and others here who feel that
    > carbon does not offer dampening, but my
    experience
    > is quite the opposite.
    >
    > I weigh 130 lbs and ride an aluminum/carbon frame. I also have a touch of carpel tunnel syndrome,
    > I think from training for so many hours on my Spinning bike and leaning on my hands. I bought the
    > Rams because I have lusted after them for the last 2 years; not for any performance benefit,
    but
    > for sheer art. I think they are the prettiest things I have ever seen (I know, my husband tells me
    > I am a complete bike whacker.)
    >
    > I did NOT expect to feel any difference between the two bar setups,
    because
    > I do believe that most of what you hear/read is bu**crap. When I left the house this morning, I
    > immediately noticed that the bars felt a lot less "buzzy," and the whole front end felt quieter.
    > There was definitely less vibration being transmitted through the bars. Perhaps this is because
    > the Ram's are a single piece monocoque construction??? I don't know, but I
    can
    > only describe it the way I have read others describe riding on a carbon monocoque frame like an
    > OCLV...sort of like a deadened feel (I've never ridden one). While I don't think I would like this
    > characteristic in a frame, it was just AWESOME in the handlebars. I was much, much more
    > comfortable than on the Deda setup.
    >
    > One sidenote...my framebuilder and I could never get an annoying squeak in the front end of my
    > bike to stop....we dropped the fork and regreased everything, greased the stem bolts, stem,
    > anything we could think of and
    it
    > WOULD NOT go away :< Well, one new set of Cinelli Rams later, and BLISSFUL, BLISSFUL SILENCE ;>
    >
    > Let the flames begin, Cat

    Cat,

    I'm with ya on the carbon bar thing. The difference when I installed my Easton carbon bars was quite
    evident. I know there are SOOOO many here who will refute my observation because I can't quantify
    it. But I have two bikes that formerly had identical aluminum bars. I still ride both bikes, but on
    the one I now have the carbon bars. The difference is quite remarkable and noticeable on the tar and
    gravel roads I ride daily.

    But I'm sure others who have never ridden carbon bars will know more about it than I do.

    Bob C.
     
  17. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    >
    > >
    > > My impression....no disrespect to Peter (from whom I bought wheels) and others here who feel
    > > that carbon does not offer dampening, but my
    > experience
    > > is quite the opposite.
    > >
    > > I weigh 130 lbs and ride an aluminum/carbon frame. I also have a touch of carpel tunnel
    > > syndrome, I think from training for so many hours on my Spinning bike and leaning on my hands. I
    > > bought the Rams because I have lusted after them for the last 2 years; not for any performance
    > > benefit,
    > but
    > > for sheer art. I think they are the prettiest things I have ever seen (I know, my husband tells
    > > me I am a complete bike whacker.)

    > Cat,
    >
    > I'm with ya on the carbon bar thing. The difference when I installed my Easton carbon bars was
    > quite evident. I know there are SOOOO many here who will refute my observation because I can't
    > quantify it. But I have two bikes that formerly had identical aluminum bars. I still ride both
    > bikes, but on the one I now have the carbon bars. The difference is quite remarkable and
    > noticeable on the tar and gravel roads I ride daily.
    >
    > But I'm sure others who have never ridden carbon bars will know more about it than I do.
    >
    > Bob C.

    Hi Guys, I'm looking forward to doing the research myself. I just put Easton EC90 carbon fiber bars
    and an Easton EC70 CF seatpost on my steel LeMond Tourmalet. Unfortunately, it will be a month or
    two, before I'll get the chance. I'm in Wisconsin and I have an older bike that I will ride in
    Spring, when the roads are still showing traces of salt.

    I bought the bars [I got a great deal on them, Ebay] for numerous reasons, including the low weight,
    and the shape of the EC90. I have had some numbing problems in my hands and the angled shape towards
    the hoods, helps me keep pressure off some of the nerves in my hands. If they help with vibration,
    it would be one more benefit. Although I use the gel pads that come with Specialized Bar Phat, which
    I'm sure do more for relieving vibration than the bars possibly could. And I usually wear gloves,
    last year Pearl Izumi White Line and for this year, I think I'm going to try the PI Gel Lites. So
    I've got the vibration situation, covered.

    I bought the setpost[another great deal] for weight reduction and I like the amount of setback. With
    my original post, I had the seat all the way back. With the EC70, it is more centered.

    Another reason I bought both them, is that I really like the way they look, the whiz bang factor;-)
    The bars are wrapped with tape, so only I, or someone in the know would even be aware of them and
    what they are, doesn't matter. I feel good about them and they will make me want to ride, even more.
    Except for the wheels, which I am going to have built by a pro, I have been doing all the install
    work [bars, shifters, cables, crank, and BB] myself, so there has been a great deal of satisfaction
    and pride there too. I've said it before, but whenever I look at this bike, it screams "RIDE ME"!

    A steel bike with Bar Phat, CF bars and post, should make for a bike that rides like a dream. The
    only thing lacking is a CF fork, but I am happy with the steel one, for the foreseeable future anyway;-
    ) I can hardly wait;-)

    Life is Good! Jeff
     
  18. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 18 Feb 2004 15:50:03 -0800, [email protected] (andres muro)
    wrote:
    >Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> A substantial improvement in your head is still a substantial improvement. Whatever works for you
    >> is fine.
    >
    >Hey, how do I get a substantial improvement in my head? I certainly need one and neither the
    >therapy nor the effexor has worked!
    >
    >Should I bang it with a carbon fiber or aluminum bar.

    Carbon fiber bars are more h*lm*t compatible. For the best results, make sure it's an _aero_ shaped
    carbon fiber bar.

    That's fine for bars to be thwacked on the head, but when will they make bars that can be
    fitted nasally?
    --
    Rick Onanian
     
  19. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > Mike-<< Since we've all agreed that most of what we're feeling is in our
    heads,
    > were you (Peter) being predisposed to feeling nothing?
    > >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Good questiuon as I put them on for the shape, not the 'vibration dampening'..The Cinellis were
    > 26.4mm, and I couldn't find a stem that was proper length for the hbars, so got a 26mm and then
    > the carbon bars..
    >

    Have you tried riding on the carbon bars for a bit, then hopping off and jumping on another bike
    without them? What was your experience?

    Mike
    >
    >
    > Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    > (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...