Carbon Road Bikes

BikeCart14

Jul 4, 2012
I am looking to purchase my first carbon road bike. Any suggestions as to what brands or models? Also, I'd like it to be fairly affordable.

BikeCart14 said:
I am looking to purchase my first carbon road bike. Any suggestions as to what brands or models? Also, I'd like it to be fairly affordable.
You're better off test riding bikes and then buying the one that fits best, rides best, fits your budget, and best tickles your fancy. Note that frame material wasn't mentioned in that list, and that's because of its relative unimportance to the first two things.

If I were you I may build the bike by myself. It is more challenge and funny./img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif

What's your budget? I personally believe a well fitted frame is better than a badly fitting but high spec frame...a custom made steel frame is hard to beat.

I also prefer to buy the frame and components separately in order to get the best of both worlds, and put the bike together.

Originally Posted by Dr Lodge .

I also prefer to buy the frame and components separately in order to get the best of both worlds, and put the bike together.
When you know what you want, fer sure. Otherwise you end up spending a few extra $$ for the luxury of pick and choose.

There's dozens of brands amounting to hundreds of models. Budget, type of riding, and type of rider all help narrow it down to the bikes one could end up happy on. Also the feedback one gets on different bikes without specifics on that rider, although well meaning, could amount to nada. For instance, no matter how light, sexy, or impact resistant the Bianchi Oltre is, unless you are flexible enough to touch your toes, the 130mm headtube may not work for you.

danfoz said:
When you know what you want, fer sure. Otherwise you end up spending a few extra $$ for the luxury of pick and choose.
You likely to spend significantly more buying a bike in parts than if you bought the same spec bike as a whole. Frame manufacturers--the big guys anyway--get much better pricing than the average person on the street. That's how manufacturers are now able to offer Ultegra Di-2 bikes for $4000. Sure you can do it more cheaply via eBay and buying used parts, but that can be more hassle and more problematic than some might care for. Going for a carbon frame just for the sake of having a carbon frame is the wrong approach.

Originally Posted by alienator .

You likely to spend significantly more buying a bike in parts than if you bought the same spec bike as a whole.
You will likely spend more, I doubt its significant if you shop around.

It depends on what you want. If you want a specific frame (one that has the geometry you want), wheels and components then its more costly to buy a stock bike and ask the salesman if you can swap out the saddle and may be other components that don't meet your criteria. Buying an off the peg bike is a compromise, no substitute for shopping around, seeing whats available and weighing up the options compared to what you want.

Dr Lodge said:
You will likely spend more, I doubt its significant if you shop around. It depends on what you want. If you want a specific frame (one that has the geometry you want), wheels and components then its more costly to buy a stock bike and ask the salesman if you can swap out the saddle and may be other components that don't meet your criteria. Buying an off the peg bike is a compromise, no substitute for shopping around, seeing whats available and weighing up the options compared to what you want.
Your doubts and experience aside, the significance of the difference will depend on the level of components and frame. There are complete bikes available for which a comparable piecewise price can't be had.