Carlton Reid on QR safety

Tony Raven wrote:
> Mark McNeill wrote:
> >
> > Needless to say, it's not as simple as that. It's already been pointed
> > out on this thread that the nylock insert used on QR nuts is different
> > from those used in common industrial applications, such that a much
> > lower torque is required to tighten it. In my experience using standard
> > industrial nylock nuts (and I use them every day), the torque required
> > to tighten or release the nuts will become lower with age/use, such that
> > nuts which needed a fair amount of heft to get them on, can after a long
> > period of use be fairly easily unscrewed with the fingers.

> On a normal nut the ratio of nut diameter to thread diameter is a lot
> lower than the QR nut so ease of tightening and releasing will be
> misleading as the turning leverage is much greater on the QR nut.

Tony, you apparently didn't read my post about the QR nut vs. the
industrial nut. I measured the torques required to rotate each. The
QR required a torque almost too small to measure. It was 200 times
easier to spin than the industrial nuts. The ratio of nut OD to thread
OD had nothing to do with my measurements.

The nylon in the QR nut offers no practical resitance to unscrewing,
except to briefly retain finger adjustment until the QR lever is
clamped. Don't pretend it's something that it's not.

- Frank Krygowski

jim beam <[email protected]> writes:

> i've told you before, answer my questions and i will. what are you
> afraid of?

More games, jim? Why is it that you never seem to be able to just
put up or shut up?

jim beam <[email protected]> writes:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
>> jim beam <[email protected]> writes:

>>>oh please, that's a straw clutch. cyclic forces loosening the
>>>skewer? show me. "it came loose, so it must have loosened" sounds
>>>just like my grandmother's car smash where she was pressing the gas
>>>instead of the brake.

>> The issue of loosening threaded fasteners is well-known in
>> mechanical engineering. Perhaps you think that the laws governing
>> such things are different for bicycles? I notice that you tacitly
>> admit the other potential problems, though.

> that's ridiculous! how can we use any fastener in any application?
> do you want to weld the wheel to the frame? there's no reason a qr
> is any less suited to this application than a solid axle.
>
>> That the ejection force exists in the first place is a design flaw
>> that must be rectified.

> rubbish! how can you return to this ridiculous untruth repeatedly?
> just because there's load, it can't be used??? that's beyond
> stupid.

What's stupid and even unethical is your support for an easily
rectified design flaw that creates a serious risk to the safety of the
rider.

>> This is the primary issue. The industry can rectify it proactively
>> or they can rectify it as a result of litigation. Either way, it
>> will be rectified eventually.

> not without elimination of the bike. every single component has
> some kind of load. it's simply a matter of making the load less
> than the strength of the component and its fastening mechanism.

There are loads that are essential and loads that are not. The
ejection force created by current front disk brakes is not an
essential load, because the design can be easily changed to eliminate
it.

>>>nice try tim, but no cigar. wings can be internally braced or
>>>externally braced. internal bracing is favored for improved
>>>aerodynamics, but it requires a substantial compromise on the
>>>"design options" of much easier external bracing. i say again,
>>>engineering is all about reality. so far, this debate has precious
>>>little of that.

>> The "engineering reality" is that the current trendy disk brake
>> design causes an ejection force on the front axle.

> rubbish! yes, there's force, but it's as relevant as saying that
> because crank arms have tensile loads on one surface and compressive
> on the other, the tensile surfaces should be eliminated! ridiculous
> statement.

You're once again engaging in obfuscation to try to hide the fact that
you seem not to have grasped the essential core issue under
discussion.

>> Given that the design can be easily changed to eliminate it, unlike
>> the forces on airplane wings or bicycle chains, the design must be
>> changed. It's really simple despite your attempts at obfuscation.

> it's not obfuscation tim, it's the truth. the reason society's
> gotten as far as it has today is because of the development of bulk
> materials [steels] that are good in tensile loading. without that,
> we'd have no modern structures, no modern weapons, no modern
> machinery. no bikes. the materials can take the load. get over it.

Except we're not talking about the *materials* taking the load, jim.
We're not talking about metals fracturing, despite your strange
attempts to divert the discussion into another dead end. We're
talking about the interface between materials.

>>>btw, have you ridden a bike with disks? what was your experience
>>>with them like?

>> You've asked this before, jim. I found disk brakes to be grabby
>> and lacking modulation, and I'd really not have liked to use them
>> in a technical situation on a trail. These brake were Avids, as I
>> recall.

> maybe that explains some of your resistance to sense. Davids are
> **** for the exact reasons you cite, but that's no reason to condemn
> disk brakes that are any good.

This is another red herring of yours, jim. The issue isn't whether
the brakes work or whether I like them. The issue is that the brakes
try to push the front axle out of the dropout. All of your twisting
and dancing around doesn't alter the central facts.

>> Frankly I thought they offered no improvement and in some ways were
>> worse than properly set up cantilevers. They'd stop better than
>> rim brakes in mud, but IMHO it's irresponsible to be riding trails
>> when they are muddy so I don't see that as a useful benefit. Lever
>> force was lower than for sidepulls, cantilevers or V-brakes, so
>> disks might be helpful for people with weak hands, such as someone
>> who has some neuromuscular problem- I do see that as a real
>> benefit. The downside there is that people with weak hands are not
>> likely to be able to lock the skewers down tightly enough and thus
>> risk wheel ejection. That's an irresponsible risk for the
>> designers of the brakes and forks to have created. Eliminating the
>> ejection force is nearly trivial in terms of design and therefore
>> the manufacturers are ethically compelled to do so.

> that's an unbelievably naive statement - you have no concept of
> structure applications or materials whatsoever.

Neither do you, from what you've written. You seem to be unable to
see the forest because the trees are in your way. There is nothing
naive whatsoever about placing the safety of the user above the
convenience of the designer or the manufacturer. Indeed, that is
part of what engineers are supposed to do. Correcting the design to
eliminate the ejection force would be nearly trivial, and therefore it
should be done.

It's also too bad that you evince so little interest in the safety and
value of the folks most at risk for this problem, who are also the
people most likely to obtain a practical benefit from disk brakes.

Ed Pirrero writes:

>>> Yes it is as are the methods of preventing it - and two of those
>>> methods are built into a standard QR. Perhaps you think those
>>> measures work everywhere in engineering except bicycles

>> Other brakes don't create an ejection force, and neither should
>> disk brakes. Simple as that.

> And there you have it. An *opinion*. Which is what most of this
> argument boils down to, in the end.

> Some force exists, and folks have opinions on how it should, or
> should not, be addressed. While opinions are interesting, and
> fodder for lengthy usenet discussions, they do not rise to the level
> of fact or data.

> The militant will vehemently disagree, of course. As always.

How about a practical test. Loosen the front wheel QR on your disk
brake bicycle so it is making light contact with the dropout. Grasp
the front brake grip and apply the brake while pushing the bicycle
forward and observe the reaction of the wheel. You'll notice that the
end of the axle at the disk brake lifts out of the dropout until it is
retained by the lawyer lips, if the dropout is so equipped. If it is
not, the wheel will cant to a position where it bears against the
opposite fork blade and would, if the bicycle were moving, cause an
end-over.

Because lawyer lips make QR retention no longer a QR as intended, they
lead to repeated opportunities for faulty QR closure, the proper
adjustment being lost every time the wheel is removed, in contrast to
how QR's were intended to be used in order to give QUICK wheel
changes. QR's are nullified by lawyer lips so the combination has no
place in wheel retention. However, it is the lawyer lips that have
saved many disk brake users from disasters that rarely occur.

As I see it a proper solution could be a motorcycle type clamped axle
with a QR lever as the clamping element, making the wheel manually
exchangeable and functionally safe. This can be accomplished in a way
that even with the QR left open, the axle will merely rattle in place
but not separate with brake application. For this, the through-axle
would need a detent (groove) into which a spring loaded ball could
register in the home position similar to indexing shift levers. QR
levers at each fork blade would securely clamp the axle. In fact,
with a close fit, only one end would require a closure lever.

Jobst Brandt

"Ed Pirrero" <[email protected]> writes:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
>> Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:

>> > Yes it is as are the methods of preventing it - and two of those
>> > methods are built into a standard QR. Perhaps you think those
>> > measures work everywhere in engineering except bicycles

>> Other brakes don't create an ejection force, and neither should
>> disk brakes. Simple as that.

> And there you have it. An *opinion*. Which is what most of this
> argument boils down to, in the end.

It's a combination of fact (the existence of the ejection force) and
common sense (that designs should not unnecessarily endanger the
user).

> Some force exists, and folks have opinions on how it should, or should
> not, be addressed. While opinions are interesting, and fodder for
> lengthy usenet discussions, they do not rise to the level of fact or
> data.

A significant force exists. The math has been done by others for
you. That you refer to it as "some force" indicates that you have
failed to understand the magnitide and significance of the forces
involved.

> The militant will vehemently disagree, of course. As always.

And yet you are among the most vehement.

Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
>> Other brakes don't create an ejection force, and neither should disk
>> brakes. Simple as that.

> Every vertical fork has an ejection force called gravity. Most of the
> time its countered by the weight on the wheel but if you lift the
> front wheel there is a clear gravitational ejection force regardless
> of the brakes. What do you think we should do about it?

LOL. Now you have just descended to the idiotic. You are comparing
an ejection force of about 1 kg at most (the weight of the wheel under
gravity) and a force that can be a couple of hundred kg (the ejection
force from braking).

>> Given that children will use these brakes and may lack the hand
>> strength to adequately clamp down the skewer, and adults with hand
>> weaknesses for various reasons who may also be unable to adequately
>> clmap down the skewer, it is unethical to allow this situation to
>> persist. For that matter, IMHO it is unethical to argue in favor of
>> this situation persisting. Maybe it's not a problem for you, but it
>> is very likely to be a problem for others. The problem can be
>> eliminated and therefore should be. I'm baffled that you have some
>> kind of problem with that.

> So you think Walmart should have been guilty of a design flaw for
> having dropouts that the wheel could fall out of under gravity?

See above. Stop being a prat.

>> I'd ride just as much as I do now (6000 to 7000 miles a year). I
>> rarely ride trails, and only when they are dry.

> So I take it you don't have much experience of mountain bikes and
> disk brakes.

No, I've only been "mountain biking" for, oh, 35 years or so. Of
course, the equipment has changed a bit over the years. I bought my
first mountain bike around 1986, and occasionally raced MTBs for about
8 years in the 1990s. It was boring, I preferred racing cyclo-cross
as that was much more of a challenge. On the whole, though, I'd much
rather ride my road bike.

I stopped riding MTBs before the ascendance of disk brakes. However,
that's a non-issue in this discussion which is about the existence of
an unnecessary risk of ejecting the front wheel.

jim beam <[email protected]> writes:

> tim, you're smoking some amazing weed at the moment! there are
> literally MILLIONS of rider-hours of disk brake usage with ZERO
> PROBLEM. how on earth can you ignore this???

Since there have been reports of front wheel ejections with disk
brakes, there are not "zero problems." It is a good thing that there
are not more, I agree, which suggests that the forces are at least
somewhat within the limits of the QRs clamping force. However, since
the ejection force can be easily eliminated and the risk therefore
also eliminated, there is no reason not to do so. Except that for
some reason the suggestion really pisses you off.

jobst brandt wrote:

> How about a practical test. Loosen the front wheel QR on your disk
> brake bicycle so it is making light contact with the dropout. Grasp
> the front brake grip and apply the brake while pushing the bicycle
> forward and observe the reaction of the wheel. You'll notice that the
> end of the axle at the disk brake lifts out of the dropout until it is
> retained by the lawyer lips, if the dropout is so equipped. If it is
> not, the wheel will cant to a position where it bears against the
> opposite fork blade and would, if the bicycle were moving, cause an
> end-over.

For those that missed the significance of this, imagine the likelihood of
such cases being reported as "brake system failures" even though they
clearly are.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Now is the time for all good men to come to.
-- Walt Kelly

[email protected] wrote:

> As I see it a proper solution could be a motorcycle type clamped axle
> with a QR lever as the clamping element, making the wheel manually
> exchangeable and functionally safe. This can be accomplished in a way
> that even with the QR left open, the axle will merely rattle in place
> but not separate with brake application. For this, the through-axle
> would need a detent (groove) into which a spring loaded ball could
> register in the home position similar to indexing shift levers. QR
> levers at each fork blade would securely clamp the axle. In fact,
> with a close fit, only one end would require a closure lever.

There are suspension forks built this way. AFAIK they are currently
overbuilt for most users.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

Ed Pirrero wrote:

>>>And there you have it. An *opinion*. Which is what most of this
>>>argument boils down to, in the end.

>>You can do the experiment.

> What new data does this experiment give?
>
> These sorts of hand-wavings don't address the root lack of data on why
> there is so little carnage.
>
> If the set-up were as bad as the detractors claim, there would be
> injuries to report. Where are they? Don't change the subject - just
> answer the question.

There are - including the widely-publicised case of an experienced rider
who is now confined to a wheelchair, and the (separate) person who
recently settled out of court, and numerous others who I describe on my
web site.

You claim that these are not "verifiably caused" by disk brakes. Which
is why I asked you what you thought could conceivably consist of a
"verifiable" injury of this nature - a question that you ducked twice.

James
--
James Annan
see web pages for email

Ed Pirrero wrote:

> James Annan wrote:
>
>>Ed Pirrero wrote:

>>>I have read the claims, in this thread and others, that this design is
>>>"dangerous". How can that possibly be true if no injuries have
>>>resulted from it? Logic, James - nothing more.

>>Do you think this standard of "verified injury" as a threshold for any
>>action on the part of the manufacturers applies in law, or that it
>>should apply in law?

> You asked it twice, and I'm not going to play your fishing game.
> Latching on to a phrase and trying to divert the conversation away from
> direct testing of your hypothesis isn't going to work.

If you agree that the phrase is inappropriate and irrelevant to the
matter then I'll happily agree with you and not mention it again. It was
you who introduced it as a reason for dismissing the problem.

> Prove your hypothesis.

I see no evidence that you understand either the first or third of those
words. In particular, you don't seem to have ever formulated any
hypothesis, nor tested it (let along "proved" it) in your entire
"scientific" career. Your empty pretence of a scientific background
looks pretty silly now you've given your name.

James
--
James Annan
see web pages for email
http://julesandjames.blogspot.com/

In article <[email protected]>, G.T.
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> >

> > As I see it a proper solution could be a motorcycle type clamped axle
> > with a QR lever as the clamping element, making the wheel manually
> > exchangeable and functionally safe. This can be accomplished in a way
> > that even with the QR left open, the axle will merely rattle in place
> > but not separate with brake application. For this, the through-axle
> > would need a detent (groove) into which a spring loaded ball could
> > register in the home position similar to indexing shift levers. QR
> > levers at each fork blade would securely clamp the axle. In fact,
> > with a close fit, only one end would require a closure lever.
> >

> There are suspension forks built this way. AFAIK they are currently
> overbuilt for most users.

Please provide a link; I'd like to have a look.

Thanks
Luke

Luke wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, G.T.
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>[email protected] wrote:
>>

>>>As I see it a proper solution could be a motorcycle type clamped axle
>>>with a QR lever as the clamping element, making the wheel manually
>>>exchangeable and functionally safe. This can be accomplished in a way
>>>that even with the QR left open, the axle will merely rattle in place
>>>but not separate with brake application. For this, the through-axle
>>>would need a detent (groove) into which a spring loaded ball could
>>>register in the home position similar to indexing shift levers. QR
>>>levers at each fork blade would securely clamp the axle. In fact,
>>>with a close fit, only one end would require a closure lever.
>>>

>>There are suspension forks built this way. AFAIK they are currently
>>overbuilt for most users.

> Please provide a link; I'd like to have a look.

http://www.maverickfork.co.uk/products/duc32.php

And all the major fork manufacturers have some type of through axle but
not necessarily with a QR mechanism.

I noticed that some of the regular QR style Manitous have forward angled
dropouts.

Greg

--

Tim McNamara wrote:

> LOL. Now you have just descended to the idiotic. You are comparing
> an ejection force of about 1 kg at most (the weight of the wheel under
> gravity) and a force that can be a couple of hundred kg (the ejection
> force from braking).

Perhaps you should read up on the origins of lawyers lips in the early
90s and the SHOK website in 2006 before you laugh too hard or call it
idiocy.

"Despite direct consumer complaints and mounting evidence that the bikes
have caused multiple accidents and extensive physical trauma to
children, Wal-Mart accepts no responsibility for any of these accidents
to this day. Front wheel quick-release bicycles are still being sold in
the toy department of Wal-Mart stores."
http://www.shokbikes.org/

The difference here is Jobst and others say its not a design flaw
despite clear evidence that front wheels have fallen out of vertical
front drop-outs under gravity causing serious injury. The US Courts
upheld on Friday that to have a drop-out open in the direction of a
gravitational ejection force is not a design flaw because there were
adequate retaining devices (QR and lawyers lips) and adequate
instructions on their use available to the parents.

The same logic applies equally to every other attached component on a
bike including disk brake wheels unless and until the retaining devices
of a QR and lawyers lips can be *shown* to not be adequate

--
Tony

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."
Albert Einstein

[email protected] wrote:

> Tony, you apparently didn't read my post about the QR nut vs. the
> industrial nut. I measured the torques required to rotate each. The
> QR required a torque almost too small to measure. It was 200 times
> easier to spin than the industrial nuts. The ratio of nut OD to thread
> OD had nothing to do with my measurements.

Hooray, some empirical data at last. No I didn't read your post because
this has been cross posted to uk.rec.cycling where I reside and AFAIK
you do not, so no I have not seen your postings in other newsgroups in
other threads

> The nylon in the QR nut offers no practical resitance to unscrewing,
> except to briefly retain finger adjustment until the QR lever is
> clamped. Don't pretend it's something that it's not.

I don't pretend anything. I just ask for evidence. This topic is too
much about hypothesise-assert rather than a scientific
hypothesise-test-reject or refine.

--
Tony

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box
when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
Terry Pratchett

Response to Tony Raven:

> > Tony, you apparently didn't read my post about the QR nut vs. the
> > industrial nut. I measured the torques required to rotate each. The
> > QR required a torque almost too small to measure. It was 200 times
> > easier to spin than the industrial nuts. The ratio of nut OD to thread
> > OD had nothing to do with my measurements.

> Hooray, some empirical data at last. No I didn't read your post because
> this has been cross posted to uk.rec.cycling where I reside and AFAIK
> you do not, so no I have not seen your postings in other newsgroups in
> other threads

Your server must have missed it - I read it, and it's at
http://tinyurl.com/98zqq

--
Mark, UK
"The course of true anything never does run smooth."

Response to Tony Raven:
> On a normal nut the ratio of nut diameter to thread diameter is a lot
> lower than the QR nut so ease of tightening and releasing will be
> misleading as the turning leverage is much greater on the QR nut.

That's all very well; but it doesn't address the point I was making, or
at any rate *thought* I was making. :)

> No I don't but the onus is on those proposing that they behave
> differently to show it to be so.

Yes indeed.

I'm not an engineer [and those who think that only engineers should post
opinions on this matter may here allow their attention to wander ;-)],
but it doesn't seem to me at all unlikely firstly that some QRs may be
liable to loosening under prolonged/severe vibration, even when the
manufacturer's instructions are followed, and secondly that the force
acting on a brake disk may eject a loosened wheel.

I can see the chain of reasoning; but there seems for the moment to be a
dearth of real-world measurement and observation, and not only on the
"plaintiffs'" side. As you say, it's up to them to make their case: but
on the other hand there's surely an onus on designers and manufacturers
to ensure that their products are safe, which requires an understanding
of all the forces involved. If I was in the population at risk, I'd
definitely be curious to see evidence that they do. ;-)

--
Mark, UK
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always

Mark McNeill wrote:

> Your server must have missed it - I read it, and it's at
> http://tinyurl.com/98zqq

You are almost correct. I missed it, the server didn't.

--
Tony

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."
Albert Einstein

In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
> >
> > LOL. Now you have just descended to the idiotic. You are comparing
> > an ejection force of about 1 kg at most (the weight of the wheel under
> > gravity) and a force that can be a couple of hundred kg (the ejection
> > force from braking).
> >

> Perhaps you should read up on the origins of lawyers lips in the early
> 90s and the SHOK website in 2006 before you laugh too hard or call it
> idiocy.
>
> "Despite direct consumer complaints and mounting evidence that the bikes
> have caused multiple accidents and extensive physical trauma to
> children, Wal-Mart accepts no responsibility for any of these accidents
> to this day. Front wheel quick-release bicycles are still being sold in
> the toy department of Wal-Mart stores."
> http://www.shokbikes.org/
>
> The difference here is Jobst and others say its not a design flaw
> despite clear evidence that front wheels have fallen out of vertical
> front drop-outs under gravity causing serious injury. The US Courts
> upheld on Friday that to have a drop-out open in the direction of a
> gravitational ejection force is not a design flaw because there were
> adequate retaining devices (QR and lawyers lips) and adequate
> instructions on their use available to the parents.

How does this bear on the subject? The bikes in question were not
fitted with disc brakes so configured to transmit a considerable
ejection force to a wheel fastened by QR and vertical drops (to my
knowledge). The court didn't rule on the integrity of such a system vis
rear mounted disc brake calipers. There is no mention of disk brakes at
all[1].

> The same logic applies equally to every other attached component on a
> bike including disk brake wheels unless and until the retaining devices
> of a QR and lawyers lips can be *shown* to not be adequate

That's a strange flavour of logic. Weren't LLs installed against the
possibility of *improperly* installed QRs (and corresponding
litigation)? Are they now to be regarded as indispensable to retaining
the front wheel when all other components are properly installed?

One can hardly ride without the QR securely fastening the front wheel
but still retained by LLs. By your definition I take it that such an
outcome, even though it results from no neglect or equipment misuse on
the part of the rider, doesn't qualify as an example of a design flaw
since the wheel hasn't completely separated. And yet the bicycle cannot
be considered rideable.

At what point is a poor design considered a design flaw? Is not
anticipating a problem, i.e., redundancy, a characteristic of good
design?

Luke

1.
http://www.marinij.com/marin/ci_3495153

Luke wrote:

> How does this bear on the subject? The bikes in question were not
> fitted with disc brakes so configured to transmit a considerable
> ejection force to a wheel fastened by QR and vertical drops (to my
> knowledge). The court didn't rule on the integrity of such a system vis
> rear mounted disc brake calipers. There is no mention of disk brakes at
> all[1].

Correct, no disk brakes involved at all. But clear evidence of wheel
loss and serious injury due to an ejection force (gravity) in the
direction of the drop-out opening and failure of the retention
mechanisms to retain the wheel against the ejection force. Design flaw
or not design flaw?

> That's a strange flavour of logic. Weren't LLs installed against the
> possibility of *improperly* installed QRs (and corresponding
> litigation)? Are they now to be regarded as indispensable to retaining
> the front wheel when all other components are properly installed?

They should never be indispensable (even in the Wal-Mart bikes) just a
secondary backup device should the first not work.

> One can hardly ride without the QR securely fastening the front wheel
> but still retained by LLs. By your definition I take it that such an
> outcome, even though it results from no neglect or equipment misuse on
> the part of the rider, doesn't qualify as an example of a design flaw
> since the wheel hasn't completely separated. And yet the bicycle cannot
> be considered rideable.

I'm not saying that at all. I am saying that the proponents need to
demonstrate that a properly done up QR will loosen to the point where
even the lawyers lips secondary retention devices will not restrain the
wheel against the ejection force. There has been lots of vigorous
assertion that it happens but so far no demonstration of it happening.
If someone shows that evidence from a well designed experiment instead
of post hoc rationalisation (http://skepdic.com/posthoc.html) I will be
happy to be persuaded but until then I shall continue to press for the
evidence from the ad hoc rationalisers.

--
Tony

right."